News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

Fix the hole, baby: 16 at Augusta
« on: April 16, 2022, 12:33:55 AM »
You're hired by the board to renovate the hole. You're specifically prohibited from just restoring the Mackenzie design. Obviously budget is not a concern. What do you propose to the board in your plan?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Mark Kiely

Re: Fix the hole, baby: 16 at Augusta
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 01:31:43 AM »
I play the clip from 2005 that many consider the most dramatic moment in Masters history -- if not one if the most exciting highlights in sports history -- and tell them we're not changing anything.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 01:32:35 AM »
You're hired by the board to renovate the hole. You're specifically prohibited from just restoring the Mackenzie design. Obviously budget is not a concern. What do you propose to the board in your plan?

Not much, right? Maybe find a way to have a left hole location that brings the water more into play—you almost never see a ball go in the lake in the Masters—but I’m not so sure what needs to be fixed here.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 01:41:50 AM »
The 2020 Sunday pin location was changed to the back right.   https://golf.com/news/augusta-national-changes-sunday-hole-location-16th/

For difficulty I'd prefer that, however I don't mind the funnel for Sunday as it does add to excitement.  Is there no pin position anywhere on the front right? Must not be.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Matthew Rose

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 02:18:32 AM »
Lengthen it to 200 yards?

« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 02:24:42 AM by Matthew Rose »
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 03:11:51 AM »
Bring back the previous version of the 16th?
atb

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2022, 12:21:05 PM »
The 16th is one of the greatest ugly duckling holes in the country.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 12:48:03 PM »
Some of Jack's greatest moments at the Masters have been at #16.

1975: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV7m9nxCueQ

1986: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuLqQJ28304

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2022, 12:53:34 PM »
Add a raised tongue tied into the centre of right hand slope creating a 30 cm hump in the lower plateau. This creates a bowl for the sunday lower left pinning area and an increased chance of balls being diverted towards the hole.
The anticipation of a hole-in-one would be off the charts although there would be probably just be more near misses.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 01:11:25 PM »
atb

Love the old hole, but there's literally one tiny pin position on that green and the thing would have to be mowed at .250, not .90. Also keep in mind the old green site is an extremely popular viewing area.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 07:59:02 PM by Tom Bacsanyi »
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2022, 02:12:17 PM »
As one who’s just stated on the other thread that I thought some of the original greens looked awkward, I sure love the look of the first iteration of the 16th.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2022, 04:26:36 PM »
What's the "Baby" reference in the thread title?

Jason Thurman

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2022, 08:03:49 PM »
You get the opportunity of a lifetime and immediately get yourself fired by ignoring your design brief?

The green jackets do not want a restoration in this scenario. No matter how many colourized photos you show them.

I just think the challenge is pretty one-dimensional these days. There's not much drama when the pin is tucked near the water since everyone knows they can bring the ball in using the slope. A mediocre shot is too well accommodated I keep wondering what a reshaped green might do. Keep the slope as is near the front, but transitioning to something more leveled-off and almost running away with a few contours in the middle and back. Open up a lot of pin positions, with areas toward the back rewarding a ball that challenges the water with a release toward the hole.

Also cool to think about keeping the slope as-is near the back... Allow a player to carry over the water and bring a ball back (and preserve the character of the Tiger chip), but shed balls hit short or even deep right away rather than funneling them all in.

For a heroic par 3, it's a little too "Everyone has a hero in their own heart" in spirit right now.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2022, 08:08:05 PM »
I'd like to see a couple of other places to put the pins. Don't know where though.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2022, 09:16:30 PM »
It is funny that perhaps the most quintessentially Augusta hole (beautiful water, some highly exacting hole locations, other super-funnel hole locations to create excitement, big roars---was designed by RTJ.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2022, 10:31:20 PM »
I have always thought that the 13th hole at TPC Sawgrass is the better version of 16 at Augusta.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2022, 09:27:05 AM »
It's not broken and doesn't need fixing. Consider moving the tees back to 200.

Pat Burke

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2022, 11:48:16 AM »
I’d remove the left bunker

Looking at a bank that would likely feed your missed shot in to the water instead of a fairly safe bunker shot (with backstop) would drive a few more players further right on the tee shot

Ben Stephens

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2022, 12:54:21 PM »

This proposal is based on a near mirror image of Mackenzies original. The green is extended towards the front with a Mackenzie style tongue and extended around the water back left. The top tier has shallow mounds at the edge of the green which is slightly narrower and the bunkers are redone.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 12:57:28 PM by Ben Stephens »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2022, 01:44:43 PM »
atb

About which 94 year old Gene Sarazen said:
"Sixteen was a terrible hole, one hundred yards over a ditch...[Years later] I remember going out for drinks with Roberts one evening and I told him that number sixteen is a terrible hole. One hundred yards over a ditch. 'Now go get Trent Jones', I said".
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 01:57:37 PM by PPallotta »

Jason Thurman

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2022, 02:58:35 PM »

This proposal is based on a near mirror image of Mackenzies original. The green is extended towards the front with a Mackenzie style tongue and extended around the water back left. The top tier has shallow mounds at the edge of the green which is slightly narrower and the bunkers are redone.

This looks really similar to one of the thoughts I had pictured - the mounds back right feel like they would keep some of the current green's spirit and allow balls to funnel in to certain pins, but would require a more precise shot than the current slope requires to really gain an advantage by using them.

The question I keep coming back to when I think about this sort of configuration: Is it just too similar to the green on 6?

James Reader

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2022, 12:33:25 PM »
atb

Mackenzie’s inspiration?

Ok, I doubt it but the resemblance did strike me when I played this hole yesterday.

jeffwarne

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2022, 07:50:21 AM »

About which 94 year old Gene Sarazen said:
"Sixteen was a terrible hole, one hundred yards over a ditch...[Years later] I remember going out for drinks with Roberts one evening and I told him that number sixteen is a terrible hole. One hundred yards over a ditch. 'Now go get Trent Jones', I said".

This, not the "2" on 15, was actually "the shot heard round the world"
and thus licence was given for courses to literally "keep up with the Jones's", for another 75 years.

I like Ben's design, though I would add a pin/moregreen on the right and reconfigure the right bunker a bit to create the room.

The original hole was too much like 12 with an angled green to the right over water.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Eric LeFante

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2022, 11:30:29 AM »
16 may be the most dramatic par 3 in golf so I certainly wouldn't change it. The hole magnifies a great shot and a poor shot and shows who is in control of their golf swing under extreme pressure. A great shot ends up next to the Sunday pin and a poor shot leaves a very difficult two putt.

I would like to see it a little longer; Jack hit 5 iron in 1986, Tiger hit 8 iron in 2005 and 2019. Hole 6 is usually a 7 iron, hole 12 is usually a 9 iron, it would be nice to see guys hitting 6 iron.

I agree with Jeff that the original hole was too much like 12.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2022, 12:36:30 PM »
Erik,

I guess I would disagree with the usage of the term "great" shot.

There have been 33 HIOs in Masters history and 23 of 33 or 70% of them have come at 16. 

If anything 16 doesn't differentiate enough between great, good, and just OK shots especially with the Sunday pin due to the massive bowl effect.  Throw in that these guys are now hitting short irons, it would seem its a relatively easy hole for them. And while poor approach shots are punished pretty hard, that's true of nearly every green at Augusta.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back