News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

AJ_Foote

OT- Jack Newton RIP
« on: April 15, 2022, 07:16:04 AM »
Jack Newton passed away today, aged 72. He was one of Australia's great players of the 70's and early 80's - runner up at both the Masters and the Open. In his prime, a horrible accident with an aeroplane propeller saw him lose an arm, an eye, and almost his life. He recovered to become a hugely respected golf commentator and promoter of junior golf. I believe he also did some design work. A sad day for those of us who grew up with Jack's commentary. I hope Mike Clayton might read this and chime in with some more detail around a significant figure in world golf who would be of real interest to this group.

Andrew

Ronald Montesano

Re: OT- Jack Newton RIP
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 07:54:57 AM »
On his Twitter feed, Mike Clayton suggested a read of this interview.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/newtonqa

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

AJ_Foote

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 08:22:40 AM »

Ronald, thank you - that is such a great interview and appropriate insight into the man.

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 08:16:32 PM »
That was a terrific interview. The first Open I attended/got taken to was the 1975 Open at Carnoustie. As much as I became, and remain, a big Tom Watson fan I was routing for Newton as I'd got his autograph during one of the practice rounds and my brother got Watsons. Tragic what happened to him with the accident but also inspirational how he recovered and got on with his life.

Niall

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 10:14:11 PM »

Ronald, thank you - that is such a great interview and appropriate insight into the man.

Yes, thank you. Amazing read.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 10:22:22 PM »
ditto - great article

Pat Burke

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 11:32:56 PM »
Made me very sad to see this.
The greatest experiences in my professional playing career revolved around Australia .

I played decently and had a few great opportunities to talk and hang with Jack after a couple of tournaments. As the visiting “Yank”, I have never forgotten how well I was treated, and Jack was one of those.

RIP Jack, a sad day, that still brings a smile because I can’t help but think of him grinning and telling me a few stories.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 03:32:24 AM »
On Jack. As we would say in Australia. "he was one tough bastard"

https://www.golf.org.au/clayton-jack-newtons-legacy

Pat Burke

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 02:10:39 AM »
On Jack. As we would say in Australia. "he was one tough bastard"

https://www.golf.org.au/clayton-jack-newtons-legacy

Good job as always Mike

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 03:33:02 AM »
Jack once told me a story of his first time playing at Augusta in 1976.
He had played poorly and was summoned to an audience with Clifford Roberts.

"Jack, I hear a rumour you were injured this week"

Jack confirmed he was - to which Roberts said, " I'm sorry to hear that. We don't like players who make excuses around here so consider yourself invited next year"

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2022, 11:24:15 PM »
I did not know the man but I remember pulling for Watson at Carnoustie but then later being shocked/saddened about the accident. I am amazed at all he did moving on with life. The headline of the article is thought provoking. Perhaps this is rude or inappropriate, but it makes me happy to believe Jack has his arm and eye and that swing back. I know he would not want my sympathy, but that is how I feel.

David_Elvins

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2022, 02:34:46 AM »
Jack once told me a story of his first time playing at Augusta in 1976.
He had played poorly and was summoned to an audience with Clifford Roberts.

"Jack, I hear a rumour you were injured this week"

Jack confirmed he was - to which Roberts said, " I'm sorry to hear that. We don't like players who make excuses around here so consider yourself invited next year"

I remember reading that one in his autobiography which is an entertaining read for anyone interested in golf of that era as well as a courageous retelling of his accident and recovery.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 10:17:49 AM »
Not long after Newton lost his arm, Peter Dobereiner published an article in tribute (in the Observer?) which remains one of the best single pieces of golf journalism I have ever read. PD is an almost entirely forgotten figure nowadays, but he was an important chronicler of the period in European golf between Jacklin and Ballesteros, as it were, in which the Aussie JN loomed large.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2022, 10:23:28 AM »
Perhaps this is rude or inappropriate, but it makes me happy to believe Jack has his arm and eye and that swing back. I know he would not want my sympathy, but that is how I feel.

Totally appropriate Mike.  Father Richard Rohr writes “We are raised as wholes- not as souls.”

Mike
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 10:26:27 AM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back