News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Bodo

Re: Magnificent MUIRFIELD: 2021-22 1- 7
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2022, 07:57:26 AM »
At times the reaction to Muirfield on this site has been a bit muted.  My theory is that the reaction is due to the fact it does not lend itself to fabulous pictures.  To me it is an engaging and thorough test of golf on nearly ideal land.
I think your spot on here. As I'm looking at the photos posted in this thread my initial impression, "meh." Visually speaking it's not awe-inspiring as other legendary U.K. courses. When you're on the ground playing it, however, I'm sure it has a completely different feel and vibe to it. Love courses like that.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Mark Pearce

Re: Magnificent MUIRFIELD: 2021-22 Winter Tour
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2022, 09:26:13 AM »
Thanks, Sean.

Interesting that you liked the 3s so much.  If I had to identify a weakness in the course (and I don't really think there is one) it would be the similarity of the par 3s.  That said, I'm surprised you don't think there are any true "all-Scotland" candidates, I'd give all of the three par 5s a run against any other par 5 I have played in Scotland.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2022, 03:48:40 PM »
Wonderful course but as others have suggested it maybe doesn’t photograph as well as others. Which then begs the question about the architectural etc merits of some other courses that do photograph better.
Atb

Mike Bodo

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2022, 05:13:42 PM »
With the exception of a few holes, The Loop in Michigan is a links style course that doesn't photograph well from ground level. A camera lens simply can't accurately capture the expanse of what the eye can see to do it justice. Despite this, it's a great looking course in person and consistently ranks among the best in the state. I suspect Muirfield's the same way.

Perhaps someone should come up with a Who's Who list of courses that don't necessarily photograph well, but are awesome to see and play in person?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2022, 05:30:43 PM »

Perhaps someone should come up with a Who's Who list of courses that don't necessarily photograph well, but are awesome to see and play in person?

King of the doesn’t photograph that well but plays great is probably Muirfield.

Then you get the next level: Can photograph OK in parts but definitely doesn’t give a flavour of all the great golf. That might be Carnoustie, Portmarnock, Hoylake (before they built a par-3 with ONLY photographs in mind), Walton Heath.

Then you get the courses which have elements that photograph really well but plenty that don’t and get overlooked: Here I might have The Old Course, Deal or Ganton; courses that have either recognisable features or enough micro-contouring to benefit significantly from shadows.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2022, 06:10:53 PM »
Conversely, some great courses that don't show well in photos taken at ground level look great to even amazing from high above or aerial photos. It all really boils down to perspective as far as the definition and details a camera lens can pickup from different angles. Lighting obviously plays a factor as well.

Sean_A

Re: Magnificent MUIRFIELD: 2021-22 Winter Tour New
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2022, 01:50:38 AM »
Thanks, Sean.

Interesting that you liked the 3s so much.  If I had to identify a weakness in the course (and I don't really think there is one) it would be the similarity of the par 3s.  That said, I'm surprised you don't think there are any true "all-Scotland" candidates, I'd give all of the three par 5s a run against any other par 5 I have played in Scotland.

Par 5s generally don't register very well with me...very few would make all country status. Maybe Cruden Bay's 6th? There are probably a few others I could think of, but I am not convinced I would include 14 TOC...though I think it is better than Muirfield's 5s. I would take NB's 11th as well, but I don't think it's an All Scotland candidate.

For me where Muirfield excels is in the relentless nature of the bunkers as a test of golf. That is also a weakness if one is seeking something more or different than a relentless test of golf.

Mike B

Muirfield is not completely devoid of visual pleasure. There is something a bit cool about such an open site. But yer right, photos from a drone 20 feet up would showcase what Muirfield is about...bunkers. That is hard to capture on the ground. Plus the button down maintenance style doesn't help. Muirfield strikes me as a bit like Augusta. It's become or tries to be pristine...very divorced from the roots of the design. But nearly all links are regrettably guilty of this to one degree or another.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 03:39:04 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2022, 03:28:05 AM »
One of Muirfields most visual aspects is the large and spacious expanse of long grass swaying in the breeze. Nice to the eye but doesn’t show up well in a photo.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back