News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Magnificent MUIRFIELD: 2021-22 Winter Tour New
« on: April 13, 2022, 11:33:12 AM »

In 1744 a Silver Club was presented by the Edinburgh Town Council to the winner of a golf competition over the Links of Leith. A condition of receiving the club was for the Gentlemen Golfers of Leith to write the rules of golf. These rules are the first known written rules. The winner of this event was one John Rattray and thus he became Captain of The Golf and was permitted to attach a silver ball bearing his name to the Silver Club…the oldest known trophy in golf.

Eventually Leith Links became overcrowded and the club sought a different course to play. From about 1820 the now named Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers played over what is now known as Musselburgh Old, a 9-hole links within the Musselburgh Racecourse. As a town Musselburgh was front and centre for the evolution of the game and home to the famed Park family whose influence on the golf cannot be overstated. Six Opens would be contested over Musselburgh between 1874 and 1889. Due to congestion, 1891 would see the emergence of Muirfield as the home of the Honourable Company. Two years later the 32nd (first 72 hole Open) Open was held at Muirfield and Musselburgh would become a course worthy of only fine print status so far as championship golf is concerned.  Incidentally, the great amateur Harold Hilton won this Open by pipping John Ball and two popular Scots, Sandy Herd & Hugh Kirkaldy. 

The old 4th...I don't know the year, but I don't expect it was much later than the turn of century. It looks as though the hole was blind.

H Roundtree painting circa 1910. The 4th & 14th greens

This photo may be just prior to Colt's work.

By 1922 the club purchased the land and an additional 50 acres. Harry Colt was called in to make amendments. By this time Muirfield had been tinkered with many, many times. Although Colt is often credited with creating the loop within a loop routing, he in fact tidied up the original Old Tom Morris routing which was close to a loop within a loop. That isn’t to say Colt didn’t perform major surgery, but perhaps Old Tom Morris deserves more credit than is often attributed. Tom Simpson, who was hitting his stride by the 1930s, did work to the course in the 1930s. It may seem surprising, but he drastically reduced the number of bunkers! Other than this, I believe the superb 13th is the only hole which can be credited to Simpson. In any case, the work seems to have been completed in time for the 1935 Open at Muirfield. In preparation for the 2013 Open, the club did a land swap deal with Renaissance Club which enabled the 9th to be lengthened and a further six holes were extended. Muirfield now measures 7209 yards for championship play.

Ensconced within three walls, Muirfield is a bit of an oddity in that it is a links on a hill above and well away from Gullane Bay. There are no vistas of dunes and for all the sand, Muirfield is a course built on subtle land. Renaissance Club is the immediate neighbour to the east. Gullane and Luffness New are to the southwest, cut off from Muirfield by the town of Gullane. Although not as hilly as the Gullane Hill courses, I consider Muirfield as part of the Gullane family. There are few tricky lies to be found due to the rumple free terrain and the turf is of a high standard. These are characteristics shared with the Gullane Hill courses and the bunkering is for the most part not overly dissimilar.  Truth be told, my memory suggested the Muirfield pots were precision maintained. This is not what I found during my round, but that is a comment only meant to convey that the bunkers between the five courses are more similar than not. It is the placement of sand which is of more importance and Muirfield’s ~150 bunkers quite clearly are features which influence play. It is said Muirfield and Sandwich are courses whereby driving the ball is of great importance. It is one of the beauties of golf that two courses which look and play so differently could emphasize a similar aspect of the game.  Unlike Sandwich, well struck assertive strokes are rarely treated indifferently by Muirfield.

The routing in place for the 1903 Amateur with the yardages and par as detailed by Harold Hilton. This is not radically different to Old Tom's design. A Mr Wauchope could well be responsible for the changes between the 1891 design and that below.

Muirfield 1928 plan after Colt worked on the course.

Players Cigarette Card Map of Muirfield...circa 1936.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 04:47:56 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

MCirba

Re: Meritorious Muirfield: 2021-22 Winter Tour Intro
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 12:53:51 PM »
Great setup, Sean!

Looking forward to revisiting my 1,000th course with such a capable tour guide.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Sean_A

Re: Magnificent Muirfield: 2021-22 Winter Tour Intro New
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 12:10:00 PM »
Muirfield Tour Cont

For a famous championship course the opening hole is completely forgettable. Muirfield is a fairly flat course, but the 1st is dead flat and am afraid, a dead boring slog. Things turn up on the second. An unheralded hole, #2 uses the boundary wall to perfection. Similar to the fairway, the raised green moves toward the wall on the left. The anxiety level can be heightened should one approach over the greenside sand. It was a dour day!

Who says Muirfield is bereft of funk? Okay, the third is a very tame version of funk, but playing between the dunes does add a sense of pleasure. That said, there is defiitely a hint of the artificial about these pair of mounds...even after so many decades. A well placed drive will earn a clear look at the green.  The short holes for me are the highlight of Muirfield and that is despite three holes (4, 13 & 16) playing in generally the same direction with the expectation that the wind will be at our backs. All four examples are exacting and attractive to one degree or another. Interestingly, all the short holes are designed for the aerial approach and obviously so. None of the other holes present themselves in this manner. Sure, several require carries, 1, 8, 15 &18 being prime examples of carry bunkers near greens, but these greens aren't raised to the degree of the par 3s. The 4th is somewhat similar to Dornoch's 6th in that a plateau green is the target and missing the target can result in a pig of a recovery.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 02:28:16 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Dan Gallaway

Re: Magnificent Muirfield: 2021-22 1- 4
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 12:48:02 PM »
Sean - when were these pictures taken? Getting off the fairway doesn't look like an automatic lost ball like I had imagined.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 01:08:10 PM »
Sean,I think you're being a little harsh with the first hole. While it's not one of the top holes on the course, the tee shot is pretty engaging for the start of a round with the bunkers all up the left side. Even more so after having played it once and seeing the value of being left off the tee.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 06:52:06 PM »
Sean,I think you're being a little harsh with the first hole. While it's not one of the top holes on the course, the tee shot is pretty engaging for the start of a round with the bunkers all up the left side. Even more so after having played it once and seeing the value of being left off the tee.
This.  The description of the first hole is way off beam and, sadly, suggests that Sean's prejudice against the place may win out in this review.  I hope I'm wrong.  The first is a really good hole, with a tough drive offering a benefit for being in the right side and an approach which takes some playing.  All into the prevailing wind.  Yes, it's flat.  But it deserves more than a cursory "it's flat so it's crap" review.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 12:05:51 PM »
Dan

I deliberately chose late winter/early spring to see Muirfield again. I didn't want any part of Muirfield's brutal rough. Plus it's far cheaper. A no brainer really. Winter is a great time to play the tough championship links.

Tucky

I may be a bit harsh, but that is what I think. If you like the hole thats cool.

Mark

Prejustice? I didn't offer comments about Muirfield until playing the course. If anything, I was prejusticed to think Muirfield is an awesome course.

Muirfield Tour Cont

A tempting hole, the 5th curves gracefully right. Some may wish to cut the corner of this straight-forward par 5 in hopes of reaching the green two. But there really isn't any need unless there is fear of going through the fairway on the left. Although, playing into a contrary wind the hole has more teeth than normal. I recall at the 1987 Open, the first of Faldo's major championship victories, this hole gave up very few eagles.  Jack Nicklaus finished 23 shots behind Faldo!

An excellent rumbling hole turning left, the 6th is a similar length distance as the 1st, but far more entertaining. Like the 5th, not a hole to pull a drive. A fine drive will finish in the large dip shy of the stone wall on the left and leave an obscured uphill approach to a green hard on the boundary. I had the misfortune of catching a dreadful lie in the front right bunker - nil point!   

Another fine par 3, the 7th gently rises to a sloping forward exposed green. Yet, there is every expectation that a decent score can be earned...if one stays clear of sand.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 02:38:34 AM by Sean_A »

Jason Topp

Re: Magnificent MUIRFIELD: 2021-22 1- 7
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 03:05:44 PM »
At times the reaction to Muirfield on this site has been a bit muted.  My theory is that the reaction is due to the fact it does not lend itself to fabulous pictures.  To me it is an engaging and thorough test of golf on nearly ideal land.

MCirba

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2022, 03:48:15 PM »
I love Muirfield but having played it in October the chances of finding your ball in the deep stuff was 50/50 and being able to do anything but chop/punch out about 1 in 10.   I guess the membership likes that but hard to fathom why in the 50mph winds I played in.

Michael Graham

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 04:23:19 AM »
I love Muirfield but having played it in October the chances of finding your ball in the deep stuff was 50/50 and being able to do anything but chop/punch out about 1 in 10.   I guess the membership likes that but hard to fathom why in the 50mph winds I played in.

Seven years on Mike and I don’t think I’ve played in stronger winds since!

MCirba

Re: Magnificent MUIRFIELD: 2021-22 Winter Tour - 1- 7
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2022, 09:12:26 AM »
Neither have I, Michael.

We sure did have a fun day, though!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 10:36:23 AM by MCirba »

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2022, 02:42:37 AM »
At times the reaction to Muirfield on this site has been a bit muted.  My theory is that the reaction is due to the fact it does not lend itself to fabulous pictures.  To me it is an engaging and thorough test of golf on nearly ideal land.

Perhaps this is true, but Muirfield does have its own appeal being so open. Even on the dull day I had, without the rough to focus on I did drink in more of the site as a whole.

Ciao

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2022, 06:34:40 AM »
The rough doesn’t grow taller until later in the year hence why it looks relatively low-level in Sean’s early season photos.
Question……I wonder if there’s now an environmental aspect to Muirfields rough particularly in relation to ground nesting birds like Skylarks?
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2022, 10:31:56 AM »
MUIRFIELD TOUR CONT

WW

I don't know about skylarks, but perhaps there is protection for peewits?

One of a handful of strong doglegs, the 8th turns right around a pack of bunkers. Walter Hagen cruised to his 4th and final final Open win in 1929 by 11 shots. This was a windswept championship which saw shrewd play by Hagen and the field blown to all quarters. On the final day, he drove miles right of the fairway to avoid the carry bunker on the approach. He earned two 3s by cheating the architecture! The club soon after responded by planting a small copse of trees in this area which remain today.

The famed 9th has been stretched beyond breaking point. The club has literally moved the stone wall to accomodate added length. An interesting and somewhat surprising hole, the left side off the tee is basically a field of rough which in effect creates a dogleg. Of course, it wouldn't be Muirfield if a bunker wasn't on the corner to emphasize the turn of the fairway. We come back to the wall for the 2nd if the line of charm is the choice of shot. There is space before clashing with stone and if played well the green is virtually defenseless.  The line of instinct is to take dead aim at the green, but as should usually be the case, this is a road paved with jeopardy.

A familiar theme, centreline bunkers interupt the long and difficult 10th. Muirfield is not short of taxing par 4s!  One of the funkier holes at Muirfield, the 11th plays over a hill and if downwind, players will be tempted to hit drives between the blind bunkers. Surrounded by sand, the green is a virtual oasis.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 02:26:39 AM by Sean_A »

Tim Gallant

Re: Magnificent MUIRFIELD: 2021-22 Winter Tour - 1- 11
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2022, 07:50:45 AM »
Sean,

I hope you enjoyed your game. I would think that there would chat a bit more about the greens, which I regard as very strong with plenty of variety. No mention of the spine on the 5th, the punchbowl-esq green at 8 or the severe tilt at 9? To say the 9th green is defenceless from the left is quite something as it can be so challenging to keep the ball from running out to the back. 11 is a fantastic green as well.

To describe Muirfield as a series of tough par-4s is to gloss over the variety that each hole presents. 2, 3, 11 and 12 are wonderful short-ish 4s, whereas 6, 8, and 14 test the longer clubs (in a prevailing wind). No love for the course? It's almost as egregious as when you said the 1st green at NB was uninteresting  ;D

Sean_A

Re: Magnificent MUIRFIELD: 2021-22 Winter Tour - 1- 11 New
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2022, 11:24:34 AM »
Tim

The greens are decent for sure, but not a stand out feature of Muirfield. I like the 2nd quite a bit. The 15th is my favourite.

MUIRFIELD TOUR CONT

Very much in Muirfield's purple patch, the 12th can pose problems if one drives it up the right side of the corridor, but the hole certainly isn't onerous by Muirfield standards. I do think think a trick is missed in not creating a much wider fairway out left in an optimal approach position behind what appears to be man-made mounds. The catch is the shot will often be blind from this position. Regardless, the 12th is a charming hole.

A case where a manufactured hole looks intriguing and attractive.

A favourite hole of many including Tom Watson; the 13th is a severe par 3. For daily play the hole isn't long, but like the Postage Stamp, accuracy is paramount. The green is well bunkered left and right and not more than 15 or so paces wide. It is easy to imagine a decent wind from any direction causing havoc. Indeed, during the 2002 Open the 13th was the most difficult of the short holes.

Alf Perry walking up the slope at the 1935 Open that he won.

Hagen sitting on the edge of the green during the 1929 Open which he won.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 04:51:38 AM by Sean_A »

Thomas Dai

Re: Magnificent MUIRFIELD: 2021-22 Winter Tour - 1- 13
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2022, 02:49:00 PM »
Terrific old photos. Thanks for posting.
Atb

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2022, 09:48:52 PM »
Thanks for the pic of Alf Perry - I’d not seen that one before.

There is a lovely story of Perry sitting alone at Drem station waiting for his train home, the Claret Jug on his knee.

Perry went on to become the club pro at Reddish Vale at the end of the war, after returning from combat to find that his position at Leatherhead GC had been given to someone else in his absence.

It was a different world…

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2022, 01:17:08 AM »
Thanks for the pic of Alf Perry - I’d not seen that one before.

There is a lovely story of Perry sitting alone at Drem station waiting for his train home, the Claret Jug on his knee.

Perry went on to become the club pro at Reddish Vale at the end of the war, after returning from combat to find that his position at Leatherhead GC had been given to someone else in his absence.

It was a different world…

Yes, sportsmen back in the day had responsibilities outside the world of sport. A different world indeed.

Ciao

Sean_A

Re: Magnificent MUIRFIELD: 2021-22 Winter Tour - 1- 13 New
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2022, 12:41:23 PM »
Muifield Tour Cont

Another long and difficult hole, the 14th is a bit of a downer in the middle of an excellent patch of holes. This is not a poor hole by any means, but not one which deserves much attention. On the other hand, the 15th is an exceptional hole. I had never played the far right tee before, but this tee creates a tenacious dogleg to the right. As is normal for Muirfield, bunkers await at the drive zone.

A good drive may still leave a sizeable percentage of the hole to cover for the approach. The first worry is the centreline bunker. Easily my favourite green, it is expansive, but the the back left falls away as if the result of an earthquake....sand awaits. The right side of the green is also well guarded by a trio of pot bunkers. 

We turn back on ourselves for 16, my favourite short hole of the set. The view from the tee reveals a green which demands attention, but very little in the way of bunker protection.

50 yards beyond the tee exposes the true nature of the hole.  The green is willing golfers to miss left.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 03:41:32 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: Magnificent MUIRFIELD: 2021-22 Winter Tour - 1- 16
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2022, 06:36:17 AM »
Muirfield Tour Cont

The run for home is full on with the 17th...yet another hard dogleg. Much like the routing creating a near perfect balance of wind direction spread throughout the course, the doglegs are quite an even split, by my count 4 each way. The aspect of these holes which doesn't change is sand guarding the inside corner. After working around the left bunkers, another gaggle of bunkers need to be carried to reach the 17th green. If into a headwind, carrying these bunkers can be a serious decision. It was on this hole that L Trevino broke T Jacklin's spirit with a rushed chip in 5 during the final round of the 1972 Open. Trevino went on the beat Nicklaus by a shot despite Jack's excellent 66.

The light was so poor I couldn't see the green from the middle of the fairway. The line is roughly the hut in the far distance.

The 18th is not a first class hole, but it does have a memorable view.  The approach below demonstrates the lack of width prevalent throughout Muirfield. In the summer this is no pushover par.

My covid-delayed return to Muirfield was most enjoyable. Being first off the 10th we had a quick game and this speed was aided by relatively little rough. Giving up pristine conditioning for a quick game with little rough is a trade-off I will make anytime. While I can't say Muirfield inspires in the way my favourite courses do, Muirfield is without question a tremendous course. I am not convinced there are any truly All-Scotland candidates, but the 3s as a set must be one of the best in the country.  Additionally, the 11-17 run of holes is excellent. That said, some of my favourite holes such as 2, 4 and 6 are also highlights. This visit confirmed that every golfer interested in architecture, history and the ambience of a storied club should see Muirfield at least once in their lives.   2*  2022

2021-22 Winter Tour Previous Stops

Royal Porthcawl
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45933.0.html

Seaton Carew New
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,70404.msg1693517.html#msg1693517

Cleeve Hill
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49796.0.html

Minch Old
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48765.75.html

Notts
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,33988.0.html

Goswick
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,64104.0.html

Renaissance Club
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58937.50.html

Charnwood Forest
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,70866.0.html

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 12:52:20 AM by Sean_A »

John Mayhugh

Re: Magnificent MUIRFIELD: 2021-22 Winter Tour
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2022, 12:49:59 PM »
Sean,
Thanks for this tour. I was fortunate to visit Muirfield twice in 2019 and enjoyed the course immensely.

Muirfield is relentlessly good. Its individual holes don't photograph nearly as well as they play, and I think that can make it less memorable or easy to recognize. The view across the course to the Firth is of a stunning landscape, though. It was agonizing having breakfast at Greywalls on the morning after we played - I  just wanted to get back out there.

While there is plenty of challenge, it never feels like a grind (unless maybe you are my foursomes partner). Is there any course better bunkered? Like Tim Gallant, I was pretty impressed with the interest and variety of the greens - even more so on the second visit. It's a course I would love to return to again and again.

The club experience was very good as well. I played as guest of a member in May and with some GCA guys (thanks Bill Gayne for arranging!) in September. I really felt welcome both times. It's hard to believe that some guests skip the afternoon - it was great fun. Other than pro shop pricing, Muirfield seems pretty close to perfect to me. Hopefully I'll get back there next year.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2022, 01:54:11 PM »
I have three differing memories of playing there. Before my wife and I played I received a note from the secretary that read, "Dogs and women are not allowed in the clubhouse." I didn't show that to my wife. The caddie we had was just terrific. Every time my wife went into a bunker the caddie said it was his fault and retrieved the ball, for which my wife was eternally grateful. I birdied number nine. I had a twenty foot eagle putt but two putted.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

James Boon

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2022, 11:43:35 AM »
Thanks Sean,

I've only been lucky enough to play a 36 hole day the once at Muirfield (thanks John and Tony) but absolutely loved the whole course, club and experience. I was a big Faldo fan when younger and well remember his victory in 1992 so to finally be able to play there 3 years ago was long overdue.

However, like you I stood on the first tee with a slight feeling of "is that it?" as I looked across a flat first fairway with no life or character. I knew from TV viewing and things I'd read that this wasnt going to be Sandwich when it comes to ground movement, but I finished the hole seriously underwhelmed...

And then I stood on the 2nd tee, and everything went the other way! Suddenly there was ground movement in the fairway and from then on, I didnt notice any flat and boring spots again (though there are probably a few more). I was especially taken by the 12th hole, playing downhill as I hadnt really noticed the 5th was uphill playing the other way! I hadnt expected any of this, and while as I said its not Sandwich (or Burnham or Deal or any number of other links with some really cool ground movement) there is far more interesting landforms out there than I ever expected!

A quick personal story against caddies!  ;) [size=78%] [/size]In the morning I birdied the 17th and played the 18th pretty well, drive down the right and 5 iron to 20ft. As I read my putt, one of my companions caddies walked behind the hole and whispered to me "that's dead straight that is!", which was odd as it looked 2 inches outside right to me, but he was the local so I followed his advice and missed out on finishing with back to back birdies as it curved away and missed 2 inches left![size=78%] [/size] ::)

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bill Gayne

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2022, 09:55:48 PM »
I've been to Muirfield twice and put me with those who think it's a great golf course and worthy of all the honors it receives. To me Muirfield is much like Pinehurst #2 in that the sum of the whole is much greater than the value of each individual hole. It has a great routing and flow to the round that afterwards you feel thoroughly and fairly tested without any BS.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back