News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Entrada at Snow Canyon Country Club recently unveiled its new David McLay Kidd-designed golf course to members and dignitaries. During the 17-month renovation project, McLay Kidd redesigned the club’s former Johnny Miller and Fred Bliss-designed course, which opened for play in 1996.
McLay Kidd, whose course designs include Bandon Dunes in Bandon, Ore., Gamble Sands in Brewster, Wash., and Mammoth Dunes at Sand Valley Golf Resort in Nekoosa, Wisc., was assisted on the Entranda project by Troon’s Design, Development and Agronomy team. Enhancements included all new irrigation and drainage systems, as well as relined and renovated irrigation lakes. All greens were redesigned and resurfaced with state-of-the-art Bentgrass, fairways were re-contoured, tees were relocated and/or renovated; and every bunker on the golf course was reimagined. The entire golf course, including tees, fairways and roughs, has been re-grassed with improved cultivars of Perennial Ryegrass and Kentucky Bluegrass. Entrada’s practice facility was also renovated.
“What I saw here at Entrada was opportunity,” said McLay Kidd. “All you have to do is look at the views here. Golf at its very best is played through a beautiful landscape. There are no great golf courses that aren’t played through beautiful, enthralling, enticing, adventurous landscapes. And, here when I first visited Southern Utah and Entrada, I found just that.”
The new golf course plays to a par of 71 and measures 7,065 yards from the tips, an increase of 20 yards from the previous design. McLay Kidd’s design incorporates contours, slopes, ‘kickers and bounces’ giving members and guests with slower swing speeds the opportunity to score well if they can read the contours and execute the shots.
Read more:
https://www.firstcallgolf.com/industry-news/release/2022-04-12/entrada-at-snow-canyon-unveils-new-david-mclay-kidd-designed-golf-course
https://www.golfentrada.com/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 04:25:16 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tommy Williamsen

Wow. I did not know that was doing any work there. When I played the course a few years ago I thought that it was on a wonderful piece of ground with some  very interesting holes in and around black lava. I liked the course and if I get out there again will be fascinated to see what McLay Kidd did.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jason Topp

Is that the course that Johnny Miller was originally credited with designing?  I played it and do not remember much other than the black lava and aiming for the middle of greens because there was no way I had the skill to aim anywhere else.

Mark Kiely

Is that the course that Johnny Miller was originally credited with designing?  I played it and do not remember much other than the black lava and aiming for the middle of greens because there was no way I had the skill to aim anywhere else.

Your answer is in the second sentence of the original post. :-)
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Jason Topp

Your answer is in the second sentence of the original post. :-)

I am as sharp as I usually am today!

Lou_Duran

I was not blown away by it when I played it nearly seven years ago.  The lava fields were interesting, but not particularly well used.  The golf course seemed to be subordinated to the retirement community- it was late spring, very hot and nearly empty.  I did like Sand Hollow in the general area a lot.  Beautiful part of the country if one likes a desert motif.

Joe Hancock

Lou,

Seven years ago, Entrada was not a good golf course. It’s a completely different place now, and the lava holes are most improved due to added width. The views are stunning, and the golf much improved.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

cary lichtenstein

we need pictures

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Pete_Pittock

Stay/play there about four years. Nice views, lava holes but seemed outdated and for me the least bang for the buck of the handful of courses I played. That was my third short golf trip to the area (+ Mesquite), would have put Sand Hollow and Wolf Creek ahead of it. Glad it got nipped and tucked.

Joe Hancock

Pete,

I’d have a hard time putting Wolf Creek ahead of anything, but I understand. Nip and tuck might not cover what DMK did….apart from utilizing existing corridors, there was nothing untouched, and I would say it is unrecognizable from its former self. Related, yet best for another thread…this website needs to host pictures. It’s too cumbersome as is for posting pictures.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Entrada at Snow Canyon unveils new David McLay Kidd-designed golf course
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2022, 04:22:21 PM »
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 04:26:00 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David Kelly

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2022, 07:50:06 PM »
Johnny Miller's design portfolio....yikes.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2022, 11:13:00 AM »
Do they have enough water in that area for golf?  It seems close to Lake Mead which is turning into Puddle Mead.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2022, 12:43:36 PM »
Do they have enough water in that area for golf?  It seems close to Lake Mead which is turning into Puddle Mead.

Wayne,

The practical answer is no.  They still want to build a pipeline to the Colorado to get more water from an already depleted resource that needs less water drawn from it not more.

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2022/04/13/mgk-less-water-doesnt-mean-no-water-in-washington-county-even-if-lake-powell-pipeline-doesnt-happen/#.Yx9hE9fMKUk

Payton Broadbent

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2022, 05:27:55 PM »
Living in Utah, water is a huge concern for the rate of growth, even in the Salt Lake area where I am.  We need a few solid winters to gain some ground back (especially in the Colorado where there is already a large dependence)

In regards to Entrada, DMK has made it much more playable from what I have heard.  Millers greens are too zone oriented. I play one of his other designs, Thanksgiving Point, regularly.  If you aren't in the right "zone" it is a near impossible two putt.  Although DMK has some severe features, from his designs I've played, they seem much more fair.  Miller seems to employ the "if you miss this small target, you get screwed" philosophy.

Hope to play Entrada soon so I can compare.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2022, 06:07:25 PM »
Played Entrada a few years back and enjoyed the course. Front 9 felt like Palm Springs, Back 9 felt like a Hawaii & TPC San Antonio (Oaks Course) mix. I'd like to get back there again.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back