News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Many golf communities are adding pint-size courses, which appeal to children as well as to parents who lack the time to play 18 holes.
Even in Cabot Cape Breton, a golf community perched across sandy cliffs in remote Nova Scotia, the waves pounding against the dunes can’t erase the pandemic pressures of video calls and remote-work deadlines.They also can’t extend the stamina of a child or novice golfer, so last summer, Cabot Cape Breton opened the Nest: a 10-hole short course that can be completed in just over an hour.The Nest’s opening came as hundreds of other short courses have been designed or unveiled across the globe in golf communities, which have seen record-breaking sales to families with young children.“Short courses are all the vogue now,” said Ben Cowan-Dewar, chief executive of Cabot Cape Breton. “We’ve seen them everywhere.”Short courses are not new — courses with nine or 10 holes have been gaining steam since the 1950s as fast and fun alternatives to the full 18-hole experience.But as social mores have shifted over the decades, so has the demand for a different type of golf experience. Women worked their way not just into the boardroom but also onto the back nine; men began to take more active roles in their children’s lives; smartphones, and all their buzzing alerts, began accompanying people everywhere they went.Then came Covid-19, and its trifecta of remote work, virtual school, and the need for activities in the open air.
Other short courses mentioned are Innisbrook in Florida, Suncadia in Washington  , Spanish Peaks in Montana,  Pebble Beach and Pinehurst.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/01/realestate/golf-short-courses-families.html
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 12:27:53 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Thomas Dai

Re: Family-Friendly Short Courses Are Gaining Favor
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 04:12:22 AM »
A venture from Melbourne, Aussie - https://www.1club.golf/ - well worth a look.
Or here as a Podcast - https://firmandfastgolfpodcast.fireside.fm/9
Atb
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 05:52:22 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 11:40:10 AM »
Steve,

On quite a few occasions in times past I have sung praise for the “Mom and Pop” courses so common in the Cleveland/Northeast, Ohio area. These are courses no golf architecture junkie would seek out, but they are worth understanding and appreciating: they are decent and affordable, often with varied topography that contributes to a feeling that the course has its own character.

But more to the point of this thread, I want to highlight the two 9 hole courses that are part of the Cleveland Metroparks: Little Met and Mastick Woods. Each course has only one hole that a well traveled golf architecture student would find interesting, yet that is not the point. Both are perfect courses for learning to play the game, especially for parents trying to introduce golf to very young children.

The game would be better if there were more places like them.
Tim Weiman

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 12:45:39 PM »
Omni Amelia Island Resort debuts ‘Little Sandy’ short course
(AMELIA ISLAND, Fla.) Omni Amelia Island Resort – the oceanfront destination nestled on 1,350 acres at the tip of a barrier island off the northeast Florida coast – has opened Little Sandy, the resort’s unique and entertaining 10-hole, par-3 course, and an accompanying 18-hole putting course.
Open to resort guests and members of The Amelia Island Club, Little Sandy features holes ranging from 70 to 125 yards. Playing through a picturesque lowland oak marsh habitat, the course seeks to provide a traditional, yet fun-focused golf experience for all ages and abilities.

Designed by Beau Welling Design, Little Sandy promotes camaraderie and community. Playability and an easy-going atmosphere will appeal to golfers of all skill levels while also offering strategic tests on bold, contoured greens. The design firm is also working on other Omni projects such as Omni PGA Frisco Resort which, when it opens in Spring 2023, will become the “Modern Home of American Golf.”

Read more:

https://www.firstcallgolf.com/industry-news/release/2022-04-19/omni-amelia-island-resort-debuts-little-sandy-short-course
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 12:47:30 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 01:26:32 PM »
If these family friendly short courses are to be a gateway to the falling in love with the game, they also need to be priced to attract the skeptical. Most don't seem to be.

I think the 9 hole Midland CC course in Pinehurst can introduce far more people to the game at $15 than The Cradle at $50 ever can. People just need to know it's ok to play from 2200 yards.

archie_struthers

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 06:44:09 PM »
 8)

Think it's a given that higher end privates that have some available land will or should add these as an amenity. Gives club a huge edge over the competition

David Restrepo

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2022, 08:28:00 PM »
8)

Think it's a given that higher end privates that have some available land will or should add these as an amenity. Gives club a huge edge over the competition

Here is one such example - Kingston Heath and OCM are designing a 9 hole Par-3 course to be completed this year.

The latest update is below for those interested:

https://kingstonheath.wistia.com/medias/iok2qf6fy7

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 01:12:03 AM »
If these family friendly short courses are to be a gateway to the falling in love with the game, they also need to be priced to attract the skeptical. Most don't seem to be.

I think the 9 hole Midland CC course in Pinehurst can introduce far more people to the game at $15 than The Cradle at $50 ever can. People just need to know it's ok to play from 2200 yards.
John I agree. It is recreation and needs to be priced like going to the movies I think to gain a wider economic demographic. Golf has a historical status quo that it is expensive and probably deserved, need to make it reachable for the average household. The median income in the US in 2020 appears to be $67k. Maybe offer a subscription or year pass for a place where you can drop the kids off, or kids play free with an adult.  These are great projects and hope they proliferate.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2022, 04:57:18 AM »
Golf has a historical status quo that it is expensive and probably deserved, need to make it reachable for the average household.

Jeff

No offense but that is very US-centric. Likewise the comment in the article about hundreds of short courses (and how do you define that ?) being opened around the world as though everyone elsewhere has been playing 7,500 yard championship courses all this time waiting for someone to invent shorter courses. 

I've no real knowledge of Australian golf but suspect it is similar to the UK and Ireland. And I'd bet that the majority of club golfers in those countries play the majority of their rounds on courses well below 6,000 yards and even 5,000 yards, and that's not taking into account the nine hole courses. I'd bet you also that a high percentage of those courses you can generally step off the green and reach the next tee in a matter of a few yards, that the courses are eminently walkable for older players and that the annual subs are affordable for all classes who can hold down a job.

I get that Ben C-D is trying to promote his latest golf development but it does irk me that in doing so they mis-represent golf elsewhere. Anyway, apologies for the rant, I guess I'm just in a bad mood as I'm having to work while the sun is shining.

Niall

Jeff Schley

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2022, 07:36:01 AM »

Jeff

No offense but that is very US-centric.
Niall
I totally agree, just an American perspective. Can only speak from that view.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2022, 07:41:58 AM »
The issue is that the current flurry of short courses are pretty much all attached to either elite destination clubs or big money resorts. I think they are good investments for those operations as asset to offer their customers. But they ain't going to develop new golfers in any quantity.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2022, 08:04:41 AM »
Golf has a historical status quo that it is expensive and probably deserved, need to make it reachable for the average household.

Jeff
 Likewise the comment in the article about hundreds of short courses (and how do you define that ?) being opened around the world as though everyone elsewhere has been playing 7,500 yard championship courses all this time waiting for someone to invent shorter courses. 

I've no real knowledge of Australian golf but suspect it is similar to the UK and Ireland. And I'd bet that the majority of club golfers in those countries play the majority of their rounds on courses well below 6,000 yards and even 5,000 yards, and that's not taking into account the nine hole courses. I'd bet you also that a high percentage of those courses you can generally step off the green and reach the next tee in a matter of a few yards, that the courses are eminently walkable for older players and that the annual subs are affordable for all classes who can hold down a job.

I get that Ben C-D is trying to promote his latest golf development but it does irk me that in doing so they mis-represent golf elsewhere. Anyway, apologies for the rant, I guess I'm just in a bad mood as I'm having to work while the sun is shining.

Niall

I pretty much typed the same thing, omitting the US part.
there are plenty of short courses out there-not all wee designed to be that originally, but they are there.
Greens are expensive.
Length of courses is not the barrier to beginners, if such a barrier even exists.(golf doesn't appeal to everyone)
Culture, location $ and acceptance is.

A high end resort building a short course is unlikly "growing the game" a whole lot.
Anyone of the means to go to Pinehurst or Cabot links would probably stumble upon the game somewhere in their childhood/lives.

You want to see the game grow, go visit Dunwoodie in Yonkers, The Patch in Augusta, Poxabogue,Goat Hill(either one) or Sag Harbor Golf Club.These courses didn't grow golfers BECAUSE they were short(I'm sure they'd welcome few more acres and yards)-they grew golfers in SPITE of being short, due to their accessiility,culture, location and prices.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

SB

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2022, 08:08:58 AM »
The USGA has a great new program called Youth On Course.  Kids can sign up and pay only $5 a round at participating golf courses.  The USGA subsidizes the round to the course, allowing them to make a modest amount per round.

The financial problem with short courses is that it's very difficult to generate enough revenue to pay for basic maintenance of the course, much less fixed costs and construction costs, especially at $15 a round or whatever.  That's why the only way these things work is to have someone else paying the bills, either a resort or a municipality, or as part of some other facility.  They simply can't pay the bills on a stand alone basis.

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2022, 08:20:45 AM »
The USGA has a great new program called Youth On Course.  Kids can sign up and pay only $5 a round at participating golf courses.  The USGA subsidizes the round to the course, allowing them to make a modest amount per round.

The financial problem with short courses is that it's very difficult to generate enough revenue to pay for basic maintenance of the course, much less fixed costs and construction costs, especially at $15 a round or whatever.  That's why the only way these things work is to have someone else paying the bills, either a resort or a municipality, or as part of some other facility.  They simply can't pay the bills on a stand alone basis.

Bingo-greens cost money, the most expensive part of a course.
18 of them on a par 3 course still drives up $$ for new construction.
6 regulation size holes with a range incorporated into the design(generates $$) and practice short game area would seems a far better use of acreage,
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

MCirba

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2022, 09:00:42 AM »
I was very fortunate that I went with some older friends to play golf for the first time at this place back on July 13, 1971, nine days before my 13th birthday.   Over the years it has gone through various names from "Scott View" when I first played, to "Nine Flags" under a different owner, to today's "Scott Greens", under a PGA professional owner who does a lot for kids in the area where I grew up.

I still join as a member every year to help support their kids programs.   As a kid learning the game it was all the course one would want and my friends, brothers, and I would go round and round after my dad dropped us off before work.   One day when he picked us up he asked if he could try to hit one so I let him use my rented left-handed driver (we were both left-handed) and a few swings later he caught the bug, giving us something to share, and love, and talk about for the next 40+ years.   

https://www.scottgreensgolfclub.com/
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2022, 09:58:49 AM »

Could not agree more John. Great example. Newcomers (no matter their age) should be able to see what a driver/3 wood feels like compared to solely short irons and putts.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2022, 10:51:41 AM »
Nevertheless, Tiger Woods is involved in PopStroke:

GLENDALE, AZ — Get ready to par-tee! PopStroke has officially broken ground in the West Valley and is expected to open this fall in the city of Glendale.
According to the city officials, this location will feature two 18-hole putting courses with an outdoor dining area; the menu includes craft beer, wine, cocktails, and ice cream.
Fun fact: Tiger Woods is responsible for designing the putting courses at all future PopStroke locations.
"PopStroke, and I look forward to seeing players make those long putts in locations throughout the South and Southwest. Each new location will have a different course design and layout giving players unique putting challenges as they travel across the country,” said Tiger Woods in a press release.
https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/events/popstroke-breaks-ground-on-its-glendale-location
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 10:54:33 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2022, 06:11:27 PM »
Steve,

On quite a few occasions in times past I have sung praise for the “Mom and Pop” courses so common in the Cleveland/Northeast, Ohio area. These are courses no golf architecture junkie would seek out, but they are worth understanding and appreciating: they are decent and affordable, often with varied topography that contributes to a feeling that the course has its own character.

But more to the point of this thread, I want to highlight the two 9 hole courses that are part of the Cleveland Metroparks: Little Met and Mastick Woods. Each course has only one hole that a well traveled golf architecture student would find interesting, yet that is not the point. Both are perfect courses for learning to play the game, especially for parents trying to introduce golf to very young children.

The game would be better if there were more places like them.

The NLE Brandywine Par 3 Course in Peninsula was another one that was a good introduction to the game. The last hole was a very long par 3 that allowed beginners to use driver. It had plenty of space for wayward shots and was challenging without being imposing.

As for the Metroparks, we are very lucky to have access to that stable of courses here in Cleveland.

JohnVDB

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2022, 12:26:02 PM »

Youth on Course was started by the Northern California Golf Association more than 15 years ago and is a great program that many other associations have taken up.  The USGA has had little if anything to do with its growth.

One of the good things is how the First Tee programs got the kids started, YOC then gave them access to ranges and course for a small fee and the NCGA Junior Tour gave them a place to play competitively and they all worked together.

Steve_ Shaffer

see above...new Caption

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back