News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Re: Top 100 GB&I “cheap” courses
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2022, 11:58:42 AM »
If there were a golf version of a menu this would be it for Mayhugh. 

The list brought back some terrific memories.

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2022, 03:46:20 PM »

That said, I recently played Fereneze GC (yes, very Scottish sounding !) which is also within 10 to 15 miles and was very surprised by the quality of it. It's a moorland course from the 1920's that is situated high up on a hill. I wasn't aware quite how high up it was before I booked I have to say but managed to contain my vertigo long enough to get round.

Did you manage to stop your ball on the last green...that one is seriously benched back in against the downslope!?

Niall C

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2022, 07:49:11 PM »
Clyde

Might have known you'd have played it ! It was beginning to get dark when I played the last. So dark I had to miss out 16 and 17 which was annoying. Because of the lack of light and not being sure whether the folk in front were off the green I hit a hybrid which ran down to 50 yards short of the green, so yes my second shot, which was a scuttled 7 iron, held the green !!

As an aside, that is one of the few greens that I've played that has a ha ha type wall at the front of it. Off the top of my head West Lothian (Willie Park Jnr) has one and I think there is one at Burntisland but there can't be many.

Did you play the course or just walk it ?

Niall

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2022, 08:47:29 PM »

Did you play the course or just walk it ?

I just walked it - I had played Kilmalcolm and taken a walk around Greenock Whinhill that day too. I had it on a pure late afternoon - the course is really pretty expansive, with some fine views over Glasgow and beyond. Once you've tucked up the hill it isn't too arduous. I'd happily go back and play it (on a spring/summer's day.)

On the subject of the original list, I don't think I have ever seen such a diverse magazine 'ranking.' There are some fine courses in there, at the top, and littered through out. I think I have played 47 of the 100, but of the one's I didn't know anything about it was Mellor & Townscliffe which most intrigued me.

Perhaps we should go and play Kirkintilloch sometime? That's one I knew nothing about.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2022, 10:18:19 PM »
Nothing in Antrim that should make this list?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff Schley

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2022, 03:27:23 AM »
So you could play maybe half the list for the cost of 1 trip to Ardfin. :o
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Andy Shulman

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2022, 07:16:32 PM »
Mike/Richard - If the stars (and our retirement dates) align, maybe we can connect for a round on one of these gems.  I, too, am planning a lengthy post-retirement trip to GB&I, most likely in 2024 or 2025.  I've played only Shiskine, Castlrock-Bann, Cruden Bay-St. Olaf and the Himalays, so I've got some catching up to do.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back