News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Reader

Top 100 GB&I “cheap” courses
« on: April 08, 2022, 06:18:09 PM »
Today’s Golfer/Golf World has just published a ranking of the top 100 cheap courses in GB&I - where cheap is a summer green fee of less than £35.

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/courses/best/cheap-golf-courses/

Great to see a list like this published, although I’ve no doubt some on here will have views on a few other courses that deserve inclusion.

Jeff Schley

Re: Top 100 GB&I “cheap” courses
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 04:57:37 AM »
Thanks James, I haven't even heard or almost 90% of the list so great someone took the time to put it together. I'm less concerned about the order, moreso to consider them all for ideas depending on the location you travel to.  Well done.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

James Reader

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 09:39:30 AM »
Completely agree about the order not mattering, Jeff.  I might have been inclined to just present, for example: 1-10 in order; 11-20; 21-50; 51-100.  But regardless, it’s great that a list like this is out there.  (Full disclosure, I did put forward a few suggestions as to what should be included and my view on the relative ranking of the 22 courses on the list that I’ve played.)

I know it wasn’t an easy thing to put together.  In contrast to most of the top 100 lists, I should imagine there are very few people who’ve played anything close to all of the courses included, let alone other contenders.  Interestingly, the comments on Chris Bertram’s tweet about this list have been almost universally positive; in stark contrast to what happens when a standard “top 100” ranking is released.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 11:07:52 AM »
This is great. I retire early in a few years so I have already informed the wife that I plan on a 3-4 month trip to England, Scotland and Ireland to do nothing but play as much golf as I can while staying in AIR Bnb's. Can't wait. I am looking forward to all these interesting 9 hole courses and off the beaten path courses that Sean A posts about.
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2022, 12:34:02 PM »
Morlais Castle and Burley are two courses I never heard of which sound enticing.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Brian Finn

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 09:04:19 AM »
Having recently played Painswick, Minchinhampton Old, and Cleeve Hill, I could see a trip in my future where I play nothing but courses from this list (or similar).  I suspected each would be a lot of fun - and they were incredibly fun - but the quality of each course was impressive.  If not for a snow squall after 36 holes at Cleeve Hill, we likely would have gone out for more.  Even after reading praise for the place here and elsewhere, it was still a really pleasant surprise how good it was.
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 09:22:17 AM »
Lots of fun to be had at supposed ‘lessor’ courses. There are some crackers on this list and there are a bunch of others, especially rural and rustic 9-holers, that could have made it. Makes me kinda wonder about being naughty and selfish and not mentioning them though. Keep quiet about them lest they become busy and thus no longer the quiet under the radar wee gems that can be such a pleasure to visit. :) :)
Atb
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 01:51:03 PM by Thomas Dai »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 12:10:02 PM »
Have played 23 of these and the only one I wont go back to is Winterfield, which is one excellent hole, 5 more linksy ones and the rest is farmers field golf.

Courses like Mulrany and Kington should be in any top 100 list regardless of price.

London is naturally underrepresented.  But Hainault Forrest Lower that I profiled on here long ago, is worth £31 of anyone's money.  The 13th is not the only  outstanding Par 4, its a spectacular tee shot to a curving bowling alley with a tiny target.

PS I think I'm right ins saying Braid Hills has nothing to do with Mr James Braid?
PPS much better idea than the article in a recent issue I saw in the Dentists waiting area, where they have listed their idea of the top 100 holes in GB&I!!!
Let's make GCA grate again!

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 12:57:25 PM »
I've played 14 and had heard of another 20-25 from great posters on this board.
At least 10-15 of those have been considered when somewhat nearby, just didn't quite make the final itinerary.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 08:25:55 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

JJShanley

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 02:02:57 PM »
PS I think I'm right ins saying Braid Hills has nothing to do with Mr James Braid?
PPS much better idea than the article in a recent issue I saw in the Dentists waiting area, where they have listed their idea of the top 100 holes in GB&I!!!

WRT Braid Hills, I think I remember reading somewhere that "Braid" here refers to some geological expression. Braid Hills is a wider area that includes residential neighbourhoods on the west edge, that would have emerged in early-twentieth century once trams made it this far south of the city centre. Braid apparently played there although Tommy Armour is the person you would most likely hear about if you asked.

There is/was a scorecard in the starters hut that suggests that Braid Hills played at 6,600 yards during the 1920s. As an April 2020 lockdown project, to get me exercise and some sort of golf stimulation, I tried to figure out (1) how that might have been routed and (2) how I might route it now. Google Earth and excel spreadsheet got me to about 6,400 yards.

It's currently 5,900 yards, with a nine hole 2,500-ish yard course at the east edge, called "The Wee Braids." The latter used to be an 18 hole course, maybe 5,000 yards, on which I played my first ever round on my 10th birthday in 1992. I enjoy playing the main course and should do so more often.

Mike Worth

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 04:05:39 PM »
This is great. I retire early in a few years so I have already informed the wife that I plan on a 3-4 month trip to England, Scotland and Ireland to do nothing but play as much golf as I can while staying in AIR Bnb's. Can't wait. I am looking forward to all these interesting 9 hole courses and off the beaten path courses that Sean A posts about.

I had the same idea — to take a 45 day trip to the UK and do nothing but play golf. I’m unmarried so I don’t have to tell anyone :-)

I guess my concerns are the same as everyone else’s. What will be at like to travel in Sep/Oct? Will I be paying 23 pounds a liter for Petro, etc. lol.

I hope too many people don’t have the same idea

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 04:43:20 PM »

WRT Braid Hills, I think I remember reading somewhere that "Braid" here refers to some geological expression. Braid Hills is a wider area that includes residential neighbourhoods on the west edge, that would have emerged in early-twentieth century once trams made it this far south of the city centre. Braid apparently played there although Tommy Armour is the person you would most likely hear about if you asked.

There is/was a scorecard in the starters hut that suggests that Braid Hills played at 6,600 yards during the 1920s. As an April 2020 lockdown project, to get me exercise and some sort of golf stimulation, I tried to figure out (1) how that might have been routed and (2) how I might route it now. Google Earth and excel spreadsheet got me to about 6,400 yards.

It's currently 5,900 yards, with a nine hole 2,500-ish yard course at the east edge, called "The Wee Braids." The latter used to be an 18 hole course, maybe 5,000 yards, on which I played my first ever round on my 10th birthday in 1992. I enjoy playing the main course and should do so more often.

JJ courses used to be measured by chains laid across the undulating surfaces.   I believe the length of holes were often 'exaggerated' but when I've raised this point before, its fair to say not everyone agrees. Just depends on who was doing the measuring.

I've long wanted to play it and hopefully I'm in Edinburgh this August. Will be in touch.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2022, 04:05:19 AM »
Have played 23 of these and the only one I wont go back to is Winterfield, which is one excellent hole, 5 more linksy ones and the rest is farmers field golf.

Courses like Mulrany and Kington should be in any top 100 list regardless of price.

London is naturally underrepresented.  But Hainault Forrest Lower that I profiled on here long ago, is worth £31 of anyone's money.  The 13th is not the only  outstanding Par 4, its a spectacular tee shot to a curving bowling alley with a tiny target.

Interesting. By chance I have played 30 of these damn courses. Can't think of any I wouldn't see again. There are some I wouldn't rush to see again. But given the nature of the list, this often has more to do with the location as much or more than my opinion of the courses. For instance, I like Shiskine...don't think it's a course which stacks up to many others near the top of the list though. An extremely handsome course for sure. But the issue for me is that it's on Arran. Not likely to go back. But I guess that's part of the charm. It can be a once in a lifetime visit just as much as Muirfield can be.

Lovely to see Players Stranahan included. I think Cumberwell Park Orange should be included. Both are Adrian Stiff designs...the Adrian Stiff of this parish.

Surprised Leckford Old didn't make the cut. It would place very high for me.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 02:30:34 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2022, 08:38:30 AM »

But given the nature of the list, this often has more to do with the location as much or more than my opinion of the courses. For instance, I like Shiskine...don't think it's a course which stacks up to many others near the top of the list though. An extremely handsome course for sure. But the issue for me is that it's on Arran. Not likely to go back. But I guess that's part of the charm. It can be a once in a lifetime visit just as much as Muirfield can be.

Ciao

Very true.
I've been to Shiskine 3x, and Muirfield once.
Shiskine is wonderfully situated en route to a (semi)remote destination, and has epic scenery not only on the course but before and after on the ferries to,from and beyond, (a nice pairing with Carradale)
I have far more desire to return to Arran and enjoy several of the gems I missed there-Corrie comes to mind-
than I do to return to many/most of the rota courses that tend to be populated by just the patrons I'm seeking momentary refuge from
corrie golf course hole 3
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2022, 02:20:23 AM »
Having recently played Painswick, Minchinhampton Old, and Cleeve Hill, I could see a trip in my future where I play nothing but courses from this list (or similar).  I suspected each would be a lot of fun - and they were incredibly fun - but the quality of each course was impressive.  If not for a snow squall after 36 holes at Cleeve Hill, we likely would have gone out for more.  Even after reading praise for the place here and elsewhere, it was still a really pleasant surprise how good it was.

It's incredible how different these three courses are. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Now you need to see Kington, Welshpool and Church Stretton. Not quite as convenient as the Cotswold cousins, but arguably better overall golf.

Ciao

Niall C

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2022, 08:47:28 AM »
I noted a few inland Scottish courses on this list which is a refreshing change from the usual list of links courses although I have to say I've never heard Kirkintilloch being touted as worth a play and I've lived within 10 miles of it for most of my life.

That said, I recently played Fereneze GC (yes, very Scottish sounding !) which is also within 10 to 15 miles and was very surprised by the quality of it. It's a moorland course from the 1920's that is situated high up on a hill. I wasn't aware quite how high up it was before I booked I have to say but managed to contain my vertigo long enough to get round.

It's a lay of the land type course with any shaping being mainly of greens and tees. The course wanders nicely round the property affording panoramic views over the city. Apparently its just under 6,000 yards from the tips if you are into that sort of thing. The club website doesn't seem to be working and hasn't for a while. I don't think that's a sign of a failing club but more just the nature of the club being low key. I booked with golfnow as I couldn't make contact with the club. I think I paid c.£25 for a late afternoon time.

Niall

John Mayhugh

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2022, 12:47:48 PM »
I've only managed to see 11 of these. I should mark them on the map (at least the Scotland one from David Jones) and keep a look out for a quick diversion.

Took a look at a few. They can appear not all that interesting, then you see a green like this one at Morlais Castle.
morlais castle 14 by john mayhugh, on Flickr
I rushed around Braid Hills a few years back (running out of daylight). Confusing without a map, but many good holes and great views of Edinburgh. You might lose a few balls, but who cares? Anyone with an adventurous spirit should have a great time.https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,62920

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2022, 01:19:03 PM »
John,

Exactly what I will be seeking out over there when I do my extended stay!
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

ward peyronnin

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2022, 06:22:17 PM »
Sean you are demonstrating admirable restraint regarding your (sometimes) home course Cleeve Hill...what a  place it is and I believe we paid 15 quid last year.

The views and that extensive tabletop ( IDK 250 acres) over which the routing rambles makes one feels he has climbed the beanstalk to the expansive land of giants. just a rare experience. Thanks.
I would take this tour without question...just don't know if I have the mustard left to do it
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2022, 07:48:59 PM »
Sean you are demonstrating admirable restraint regarding your (sometimes) home course Cleeve Hill...what a  place it is and I believe we paid 15 quid last year.

The views and that extensive tabletop ( IDK 250 acres) over which the routing rambles makes one feels he has climbed the beanstalk to the expansive land of giants. just a rare experience. Thanks.
I would take this tour without question...just don't know if I have the mustard left to do it

Chez Wardo

To a large degree I treat Cleeve Hill differently from most on this list because I think it's at least in the conversation for top100 GB&I.

Ciao

Michael Felton

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2022, 10:27:21 PM »
My dad went to school at St Bees about a thousand years ago so I was quite excited to see the St Bees golf course on this list. I'd love to see all of these, but I think the Himalayas is the only one I have...

Thomas Dai

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2022, 04:45:25 AM »
This is I believe the first time such a listing has been published. As the years go by I’m sure it’ll be refined and the order and named courses included will adjust. And there are lots of other cracking courses of similar nature out there that haven’t been mentioned yet although most are likely to be located in more rural areas.
As an aside many of these courses might be best enjoyed with less than a full set of clubs.
Atb
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 04:48:48 AM by Thomas Dai »

Niall C

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2022, 06:08:58 AM »
Michael

Believe it or not I played the St Bees course only on Monday, or to be exact played 6 holes as I ran out of time to play the other 3. Certainly well worth a hit at £15 for the day. Is it a great course ? No, but it is interesting and good fun. Excellent value for money.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2022, 06:11:25 AM »
This is I believe the first time such a listing has been published. As the years go by I’m sure it’ll be refined and the order and named courses included will adjust. And there are lots of other cracking courses of similar nature out there that haven’t been mentioned yet although most are likely to be located in more rural areas.
As an aside many of these courses might be best enjoyed with less than a full set of clubs.
Atb

David

I can't help thinking that the big problem with this list is that the end result will be that the featured courses will hike up their green fees. Of course that's only an issue for the visiting golfer and not the club but all the same good affordable golf is getting rarer.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2022, 07:16:13 AM »
Wouldn’t surprise me Niall, wouldn’t surprise me at all. “Don’t tell him Pike” comes to mind!:)
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back