News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bret Lawrence

Re: Geoffrey Cornish
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2022, 10:45:46 AM »

Geoffrey Cornish has been in the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame for over 25 years.

https://heritage.golfcanada.ca/hall-of-fame-members/geoffrey-cornish/

Carl Nichols

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2022, 11:32:36 AM »
The more wasted-opportunity, overly expensive-to-build modern golf courses I see, the more I appreciate the utilitarian simplicity of the Cornish courses I grew up playing, including Hop Meadow, Simsbury Farms and the NLE Tower Ridge in Avon and Simsbury, CT. I also like Crestview in Agawam, Mass., and Sugarloaf in NE PA. To paraphrase Hemingway, they are clean, well-lighted places for golf, and I think in the instances where they fall short, it would not take total gut-jobs to make them significantly better. Hop Meadow is a great example: a former superintendent once showed me Cornish's original plan, which revealed greens with some very interesting amoeba shapes and corners, where then (and now) there are only ovals.

Just because his work doesn't show up often on our Instagram feeds with fawning, herd-following praise heaped under it doesn't mean Geoffrey Cornish didn't make significant contributions to people's golfing lives.

Tim, I agree.  There are certainly elements at these courses that seem like they could be better--e.g., not having similar drop-shot par 3's at Hopmeadow, or similar 1st and 10th holes at Simsbury Farms--but all in all, they are perfectly solid and enjoyable courses.     

Carl Nichols

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2022, 11:44:18 AM »
The more wasted-opportunity, overly expensive-to-build modern golf courses I see, the more I appreciate the utilitarian simplicity of the Cornish courses I grew up playing, including Hop Meadow, Simsbury Farms and the NLE Tower Ridge in Avon and Simsbury, CT. I also like Crestview in Agawam, Mass., and Sugarloaf in NE PA. To paraphrase Hemingway, they are clean, well-lighted places for golf, and I think in the instances where they fall short, it would not take total gut-jobs to make them significantly better. Hop Meadow is a great example: a former superintendent once showed me Cornish's original plan, which revealed greens with some very interesting amoeba shapes and corners, where then (and now) there are only ovals.

Just because his work doesn't show up often on our Instagram feeds with fawning, herd-following praise heaped under it doesn't mean Geoffrey Cornish didn't make significant contributions to people's golfing lives.
WHen did Tower Ridge go NLE? I totally forgot, I played there and it was a fun round.

Tower Ridge closed in 2019. Some good holes and some throwaways. Very difficult to walk.

My understanding is that the NLE Tower Ridge, formerly known as Cliffside, is now a disc golf course. 

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2022, 08:28:49 AM »

Roman Hruska
https://buffalonews.com/news/ex-nebraska-sen-roman-hruska-dies-at-94-mediocre-remark-caused-stir/article_f7c59408-26aa-5508-a1dc-1e3b7f4b9e36.html

Cornish did nine at Terry Hills, in Batavia. I never tire of playing it.

Did he fit the over-the-top, I-won-on-tour architectural model? Thank goodness, no.

Did he fit the throwback-to-golden-age, we've-plenty-of-money model? No, as he would have bankrupted his clients.

I think that he would have like to have seen Wild Horse in Nebraska, of all the courses we crow about on GCA.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back