News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

The Front 9 par 3s at Augusta
« on: April 01, 2022, 06:19:44 PM »
Discuss.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

mike_beene

Re: The Front 9 par 3s at Augusta
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 11:40:23 PM »
4 reminds me of 11 at TOC. 6 is only place I can think of you hit over people on purpose. What did 6 look like with the old pond?

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 07:25:12 AM »
4 reminds me of 11 at TOC. 6 is only place I can think of you hit over people on purpose. What did 6 look like with the old pond?

Courtesy of Daisports.
scroll down and right.
6 had a creek crossing, not really in play-a supposed "more attractive" Redan
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matthew Rose

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 11:56:43 AM »
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 12:48:15 PM »
Both 4 and 6 are excellent and tough par 3's
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 03:07:40 PM »
Jeff warne:

Thanks for posting that collection of pictures. It is hard to look at them and believe all the changes over the years have made things better.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 09:42:15 PM by Tim_Weiman »
Tim Weiman

Jason Thurman

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 07:02:15 PM »
Is there anything about 6 that plays like a redan today? I guess some of the bounces around the back right corner, maybe, are fractionally redan-ish in spirit.

I think they're both wonderfully elastic for only having two tees. There seems to be a lot of ability to change the character and challenge from day to day just by moving pins.

"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2022, 09:56:54 AM »
Hard to make out the picture from daisports, but it appears a bit redanlike after all in that photo.
Looks like about the time they dammed up the creek the green and greensite had been altered to eliminate any chance of it playing like a redan.
Or perhaps it never did.
Would love t see a clearer picture of 6 from the earliest version
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2022, 01:10:00 PM »
When they play the tees from the back with a right pin, #4 is wicked hard.  It is about 240 yards and that is not a deep green.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2022, 06:48:26 PM »
Jeff warne:

Thanks for posting that collection of pictures. It is hard to look at them and believe all the changes over the years have made things better.

So I take it you are a fan of the small tongues on the 4th and 9th greens.  Please explain why. 

All the best,
Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Keith Williams

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2022, 09:03:33 AM »
Not to threadjack off the Par 3 focus, but I have always found that old photo of #5 green utterly captivating.

-Keith

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2022, 02:13:33 AM »
Jeff warne:

So I take it you are a fan of the small tongues on the 4th and 9th greens.  Please explain why. 

All the best,
Mike
I just think it gives the greens character and very different pin location alternatives.
Tim Weiman

JJShanley

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2022, 04:10:59 AM »
WRT 4: MacKenzie's comments on other attempts at an Eden hole strike me as interesting. "There have been scores of copies of this famous hole but there is none that has the charm and thrill of the original. Most copies are failures..." You can refer back to the photo for the rest of the comment.

Is this a criticism of MacDonald and Raynor?

I hadn't ever thought of the 8th green as having drawn inspiration from 17th at Muirfield.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2022, 02:39:27 PM »
I wonder if those tongues looked as jarring in real life as they do in pics. A lot of those pics look pretty funky... 8 green doesn't seem to have changed much, for example, but looks narrow to me in those old pics. I just wonder if the scale is a little distorted, and I'm inclined to give some benefit of doubt for funkiness to guys who pulled off things like the 7th green at Crystal Downs.

I'm just curious about these front 9 par 3s because they're sorta straightforward in appearance and, in my mind, have less "identity" Augusta's other holes. I think that's a pretty normal thing for par 3s that lack water and lots of other features, as these do. I'm trying to figure out what, if anything, separates them from the average par 3 since they're components of a world-class course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back