News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

He began the Women's' Amateur event, has been more outspoken about race, financially helps support Paine College with :P  a Lee Elder scholarship, and now a financial gift to the Hub Foundation for Community Innovation.. He has made some judicious changes to the course. He is a classy person.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 04:33:55 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff Schley

I like Fred Ridley certainly, but is the Chairman a dictator for the other members? I know they are the sole spokesperson for the club, but I would be surprised if they have carte blanche to just do whatever they want without the other members voting on these major issues.

I think the membership has adjusted themselves appropriately and commend them for doing so with the changes. I see it as changing with the times and the Chairman (Fred Ridley or other) has led that on behalf of the membership. However, this takes leadership and commend FR for providing it.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tommy Williamsen

Even if the chairman does have dictatorial powers, I think Ridley is collaborative.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Smolens

I don't think you can underestimate the difficulty in generating "collaboration" among the membership of a place like Augusta National

Bill Gayne

I would like to have been a fly on the wall when the idea of the Dude Perfect video was pitched to Fred Ridley. I'm not even sure how that conversation would begin.

MClutterbuck

I would like to have been a fly on the wall when the idea of the Dude Perfect video was pitched to Fred Ridley. I'm not even sure how that conversation would begin.

"These guys have 57 million subscribers on You Tube and..."

From what I understand, the Chairman does not need to consult or generate much consensus.

Bill Gayne

Then Ridley responds "my grand kids watch You Tube."

Tim_Cronin

He began Drive, chip, and putt, the Women's' Amateur event, has been more outspoken about race, financially helps support Paine College with a Lee Elder scholarship, and now a financial gift to the Hub Foundation for Community Innovation.. He has made some judicious changes to the course. He is a classy person.

Billy Payne was the chairman when Drive Chip & Putt began in 2014. He was also in charge when the first female members were invited.

As I understand it, the board has final approval on all the big stuff, including course changes. But not every member gets clued in. Many were surprised when the AN Women's Am was announced.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tommy Williamsen

He began Drive, chip, and putt, the Women's' Amateur event, has been more outspoken about race, financially helps support Paine College with a Lee Elder scholarship, and now a financial gift to the Hub Foundation for Community Innovation.. He has made some judicious changes to the course. He is a classy person.

Billy Payne was the chairman when Drive Chip & Putt began in 2014. He was also in charge when the first female members were invited.

You’re right. Thanks.
St. John of the Cross

Mike Sweeney

Fred is not a Closer :)

Augusta family next to Masters golf course keeps turning down millions for their 1,900-square-foot house

https://www.insider.com/masters-augusta-national-house-not-for-sale-neighbors-property-2022-4

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Bill Gayne

Interesting picture with all the Bermuda grass dormant and the rye not grown in. Bunkers covered with liners. Looks like a real southern dog track.

Wayne_Kozun

Speaking of that, anyone know why the area around the 12th green and the 13th tee aren't dormant in the Google Maps photo.   Everywhere else on the course is, other than the greens:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Augusta+National+Golf+Club/@33.4955338,-82.0245159,466m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88f9cd9fe8a776ed:0x519b380162b90517!8m2!3d33.5021365!4d-82.0226276

Joel_Stewart

Interesting topic.  Fred Ridley is only 69 years old and still could lead some more positive changes.

As for the course architecture, Hootie Johnson was very significant in Tiger proofing the course.  In fact he was in charge of two major renovations.

Bill Gayne

On second look, delete post.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 05:39:46 AM by Bill Gayne »

Kalen Braley

Interesting topic.  Fred Ridley is only 69 years old and still could lead some more positive changes.

As for the course architecture, Hootie Johnson was very significant in Tiger proofing the course.  In fact he was in charge of two major renovations.

I always get a chuckle at "Tiger Proofing", given his results

5 wins
8 top 3s
14 top 10s
22 for 22 in cuts made as a professional.

Earl was right, if anything they set it up so he could have even more success...

MClutterbuck

Speaking of that, anyone know why the area around the 12th green and the 13th tee aren't dormant in the Google Maps photo.   Everywhere else on the course is, other than the greens:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Augusta+National+Golf+Club/@33.4955338,-82.0245159,466m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88f9cd9fe8a776ed:0x519b380162b90517!8m2!3d33.5021365!4d-82.0226276

Wayne, the photo you are seeing I believe is from September 20, 2019, and my best guess is the club seeded that section of the course a couple of weeks ahead of the rest of the couse. Probably because it is so shaded. If I see the photo correctly, rye grass is starting to show across the course.

Wayne_Kozun

Thanks - that makes sense.  That must be a tough area to grow grass due to the lack of sun, but since it is ANGC I imagine they may bring in artificial lighting and heating if required.

David_Tepper

Great video tour of the AGNC clubhouse in case you have not seen it (or been there ;) ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLatNS3Z_30

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back