News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: Masters Golf Course Thoughts
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2022, 01:26:46 PM »
Good column here on the use of fescue in the rough or to grow in areas where trees used to be. As noted above, it can grow and get out of hand quickly on rich/non-links soils.

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/fescue-fine-or-foe

Jason Topp

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2022, 02:25:40 PM »
I did not think 15 was too long.  Weather and the trees on the left took away a fair amount of temptation. 

Is the tee shot on thirteen still a good one?  When I saw it in person I was surprised at how pinched it looked off the tee.  However, I do like a tee shot that rewards the ability to curve the ball and control it. 

I also enjoyed that low spinning chip that Scheffler used to great advantage.  My experience with overseeded rye grass is that it is so sticky you have to hit the ball hard if you are going to land it short of the putting surface but he seemed to have the formula down.  The course gave him the opportunity to showcase that shot. 

Buck Wolter

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2022, 03:27:05 PM »
I did not think 15 was too long.  Weather and the trees on the left took away a fair amount of temptation. 

Is the tee shot on thirteen still a good one?  When I saw it in person I was surprised at how pinched it looked off the tee.  However, I do like a tee shot that rewards the ability to curve the ball and control it. 

I also enjoyed that low spinning chip that Scheffler used to great advantage.  My experience with overseeded rye grass is that it is so sticky you have to hit the ball hard if you are going to land it short of the putting surface but he seemed to have the formula down.  The course gave him the opportunity to showcase that shot.

I think 15 is great now -- Scheffler said somewhere that he wanted no part of that chip into 15 so he went for it on Sunday.

I was there Friday and watched quite a few groups go through 15 and nobody looked comfortable hitting their third into that green.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2022, 03:44:50 PM »
I dumped my wedge into the pond on the 15th green, you have to stay down with the shot, I came out of it too quickly. I still remember this 14 years later
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Garland Bayley

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2022, 12:58:45 AM »
I think on some holes like 7 yes the trees are the primary defense.

But if I was ranking the deterrents to scoring at Augusta, it would be something like this:

1)  Undulating greens
2)  Undulating property in general with sidehill, uphill, downhill lies
3)  The length from the back tees.
4)  Hitting shots from the pine straw
5) Ponds/water
6)  Trees

Ask Jordan and Rory about your putting trees at a distant 6th. Length and pine straw may be a bugaboo for you, but it causes very little concern for tour pros. Length only becomes a problem when the tee ball hits a tree and gets stopped well short of where it was headed.
 :P
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back