News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Buck Wolter

12 North at Trapper's Turn (WI Dells)
« on: April 06, 2022, 03:59:39 PM »
I drive by the Wisconsin Dells about once a month and have seen the signs for Trapper's Turn which is an Andy North (Wisconsin's own) design. I've never stopped in but have been curious -- can't say I've ever heard a word about it. When I heard that Craig Haltom was doing the work at Lawsonia I did a google search and saw he did a Par 3 (with Andy North?) here that opens in 2022. Looks like it will be a nice place to stop and stretch my legs.

Check out the 5th green!
https://vimeo.com/689350500
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Nate Oxman

Re: 12 North at Trapper's Turn (WI Dells)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 08:47:00 PM »
Oh my! I wasn't sure what was so special about it other than what looked like an enormous false front. COVID has forced me to spend way too much time in front of a computer screen and thus my eyesight is fading fast so it took a while for me to see the pin down there on the left. That's when I realized what you were talking about. That green and the course overall look really fun!

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 11:34:20 PM »
I flew kites on the course during a 70 degree March day when the course was closed and we were trying to entertain small kids.  It is a good kite flying course.  Can't really comment on it as a golf course.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 07:22:38 AM »
I love it. Reminds me of the Staple course at PGA National.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Buck Wolter

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 01:02:13 PM »
I finally stopped in and played this a few weeks ago.

Positives --
Great setting sitting on a hilltop above the main course -- lots of elevation changes for a par 3.
Amazing greensites, lots of quirk and bold features, huge variations in pin placements. One green I didn't realize was a double green until I played the other hole later.

Negatives
While walkable it is made for taking a cart -- some difficult to impossible walks where you basically have to use the cart path and walk around the direct line
Quite a few forced carries which somewhat limits who this caters to -- much higher 'slope rating' than the sandbox I would guess
Lots of turf for the tees but it was mats only when I played
Relatively similar length holes-- I would guess 10/12 were 80-90 yards though I didn't have a range finder and the greens were huge some probably more variance is possible than the day I played. Playing off the mats limited the variability as well.

Definitely will be stopping again and would highly recommend  -- I had the place to myself and they told me to play as much as I wanted for $40.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Gary Kurth

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 07:38:44 PM »
I was able to play 12 North shortly after it opened last summer.  I agree with many of Buck's comments.  I'll add that 12 North is fun.  Very fun.  Especially, when playing with a group of friends.  So many fun betting games can be played.  Our group had more fun playing 12 North than the 18 holes at Trappers before.  That's not a slight on Trappers. 

The greens are very quirky, in a good way.  Hitting off the artificial mats wasn't as bad I thought it would be.  I'd make the 5+ hour trip to play it again.  It's a blast.  Highly recommend it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back