News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: Putting greens in relation to club houses
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2022, 04:27:19 PM »
Jordan Beasley -

The Berkeley Country Club was renovated 10-12 years ago by Forrest Richardson, who often posts here. The club was known for many years as Mira Vista.

https://acesgolf.com/berkeley-country-club-returns-to-its-origins/

I never played the course prior to the renovation. I have played it once since. It is a fun course on a very hilly, sloping piece of land.

DT 

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2022, 06:52:58 PM »
I prefer the putting green to be close to the first tee, but ideally it is in close proximity to both the clubhouse and first tee.

My dream putting green would have fairly simple contours closest to the first tee and much more undulating contours nearer the clubhouse. The near first tee portion of the green would be designed for simple warm up, getting use to green speed. The near clubhouse section would be designed more for practice and enjoyment, a place for putting matches to take place.

I think you just described the set up Beverly is building!  The practice green near the first tee is fast, but not wild in terms of undulations.  Across 87th, just below the big patio, Beverly is building a large putting course with wild undulations.  As you noted, they serve different functions.  And at the putting course, a cocktail is only a loud request away!

Tim, it sounds like the Bev is merely reinstalling what existed when the club opened 114 years ago. Great move!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

MClutterbuck

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2022, 09:03:04 AM »
Great examples everyone!

How does Streamsong's Bowling Green work? Is it intimate enough in relation to the Club House?

Jim Moeller

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2022, 08:25:24 PM »
Cape Arundel's practice green is tiny but their setup is fantastic. It's located about 5 steps from the clubhouse's covered porch and about 2 steps from falling into the Kennebunk River. It serves the purpose of warming up before a round or settling a tie afterwards.

Michael Felton

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2022, 10:25:41 PM »
Bayonne's is decent, but IMO the two best putting greens around are Walton, which has already been discussed and Royal Wimbledon. Royal Wimbledon is the venue of the public schools old boys putting competition and it's perfect for it. Both are about the same size and both have plentiful space for 18 holes of putting on them. Royal St Georges isn't bad either. All three have had many the putting contest for a pint of something ill-advised (kummel springs to mind).

PCCraig

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2022, 04:20:10 PM »
I'm partial to White Bear's putting green, which is connected to the first tee. Drop your bag, hit a few putts if there is a group teeing off, then when it's your turn go.
H.P.S.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2022, 05:39:38 PM »
Atlantic City with clubhouse behind and first tee to the right.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155168730@N02/52005933712/in/dateposted-public/

Trouble posting picture.  Copied address from flickr....
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 05:41:09 PM by Cliff Hamm »

Tim Martin

Re: Putting greens in relation to club houses New
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2022, 05:41:15 PM »
Cliff-You beat me to it with ACCC. The way the practice green bleeds into the 1st tee is a cool feature. I like having the AC skyline as a backdrop.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 07:48:59 AM by Tim Martin »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back