News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Sayegh

Re: Anyone going to The Masters on Sunday April 10?
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2022, 10:14:21 AM »
Don't want to thread jack, but is anyone going to be PLAYING golf on Sunday instead of watching "the toonamint" or is that heresy in these parts?
I'm teeing off at 1pm and may play 45 holes because I'm told it's wide open that afternoon because of the telecast.

Brad Lawrence

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2022, 02:11:22 PM »
Out of my price range.  I had a ticket one time for a practice round. They closed the grounds for rain just before I got inside. To this day, the only thing I’ve ever seen is the driving range net. Club pro guy says it’s not nearly as hilly as it looks on TV.  😀.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2022, 06:12:01 PM »
The 25th Annual Other Senior Tour will be teeing it up Sunday morning at Southern Pines - home of Golf’s Most Beloved.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2022, 08:46:36 PM »
I'll be "slumming" it at #9 throughout the afternoon. All are welcome to join me.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2022, 05:10:23 AM »
I'll be "slumming" it at #9 throughout the afternoon. All are welcome to join me.
Will be a great weekend Peter. Do you bring chairs or just walk around hole 9? Takes a while for anyone to make it to 9.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2022, 07:12:21 AM »
After winning the pre-pandemic Masters “lottery”, my wife and I finally got the opportunity to attend the Tuesday practice round.  We were walking the course in numerical order when at 10:50 AM the siren stopped play.  An announcement stated that all patrons needed to leave, as lightning and even tornados were forecasted. 

We were watching play at 11 green and hole #12, so slowly meandered our way through the remaining back nine on the way to the parking lot.  I have heard through a couple sources that ticket holders will be given the right to purchase the same ticket for next year’s tournament.  Sadly, I assume people that purchased tickets through secondary markets will not be so fortunate. 

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2022, 12:39:13 PM »

I would come and try to find you and introduce myself. That would be cool. How would I go about doing so?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2022, 01:01:33 PM »
Jim - I'm not certain, but since Peter S earlier asked if anyone would be playing golf on Sunday instead of watching it, and then indicated he was planning on getting in 45 holes that day, I'm guessing #9 refers not to the 9th hole at Augusta but instead to the #9 course, presumably at Pinehurst.

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2022, 01:16:24 PM »
Jim - I'm not certain, but since Peter S earlier asked if anyone would be playing golf on Sunday instead of watching it, and then indicated he was planning on getting in 45 holes that day, I'm guessing #9 refers not to the 9th hole at Augusta but instead to the #9 course, presumably at Pinehurst.

Ooooooh. I didn't catch that. Thanks sir. I'll just go meander out there by myself, wander around, walk the course and try and do all the suggestions mentioned here. I've got them on a piece of paper in my wallet.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. Appreciate it immensely.

jeffwarne

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2022, 11:05:19 PM »
Don’t wear golf shoes. The likelyhood of getting a game is low.

I came across many, many people who heeded this advice on Thursday, after 3 plus inches of rain the days before.
Nearly all were on the ground with mud and kitty litter on their knees, hands and/or back.
But their footwear was really cool.( I mean who would be caught dead in shoes that look and feel like jogging shoes but with traction, when they could actually be wearing jogging shoes ;))
They appreciated the help standing back up.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 01:22:09 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2022, 12:26:35 AM »
Don’t wear golf shoes. The likelyhood of getting a game is low.

I came across many, many people who heeded this advice on Thursday, after 3 plus inches of rain the days before.
Nearly all were on the ground with mud and kitty litter on their knees, hands and/or back.
But their footwear was really cool.
They appreciated the help standing back up.
Ouch sounds like Whistling Staits when they first hosted the PGA and numerous people injured themselves walking "the grounds".
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2022, 06:53:49 PM »
Prepare yourself to tell your grandchildren about the time you were there when Tiger made the cut.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2022, 08:12:01 PM »
On July 3rd of this year I will have been married 40 years. I will always remember 2022 as the year I chose my wife over Masters Sunday. As the leaders approached the 15th tee she asked if she could see what’s on TLC. I settled in to episode 8 season 17 of 90 day 1000lb fiancé as I kissed a lifetime of me time Sundays goodbye.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2022, 04:11:33 AM »
On July 3rd of this year I will have been married 40 years. I will always remember 2022 as the year I chose my wife over Masters Sunday. As the leaders approached the 15th tee she asked if she could see what’s on TLC. I settled in to episode 8 season 17 of 90 day 1000lb fiancé as I kissed a lifetime of me time Sundays goodbye.
NO Way...
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tim Leahy

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2022, 04:22:01 AM »
"90 day 1000 lb fiance"  ;)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2022, 11:24:56 AM »
Jim,

Please outline your day for those of us who didn’t go. The smallest details are often the best.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2022, 12:04:38 PM »
I don't blame Barney.

Between Scottie running out to a huge lead and showing zero emotion on the course, wasn't exactly must see TV.  Rory ended up doing his thing which was fun, but too little too late.  I'd put the Sunday telecast middle of the pack for entertainment value compared to other years.

P.S. 11 was interesting, the stats say it was the most hit fairway all week, but still played the toughest compared to par.

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2022, 01:29:17 PM »
Jim,

Please outline your day for those of us who didn’t go. The smallest details are often the best.

Hi John...happy to. Although, I apologize for the delay. I had to rest up hard yesterday. I found out that ANGC is a grueling place.

First, that place is WAY hillier than shown on TV. You just can't imagine. In the midwest, you could probably open a small ski hill there on ANGC property. I joked with a member who was kind enough to talk to me that you have to be a Billy Goat to play this place. He laughed and agreed.

When I first arrived early, I walked the course forwards. I was exhausted just after doing that. Then I decided to get merch and souvenirs for friends and family. I was surprised by how long the lines were even at 9:30/10 am or so. Seems like everyone had the same idea. Shop early and then get back out there for the action.

What amazed me about the shopping experience was that lines were as long as a crowded TSA line at the Atlanta airport. However, my feet always kept moving and the line never really stood still. I was probably inside the shop within 10 minutes of entering the line that had backed up to the outside. Then inside, getting to a counter to get a shirt or a hat, you simply tell the associate working there the number and size (if applicable) of your desired item. Again, lines were deep but they retrieved things fast. I was amazed at the volume of patrons shopping and the staff that kept things moving ridiculously fast.

Then at checkout, I continued to be amazed. I work in credit card security/payments, so to me, this is interesting, to others, probably not. In any event, I had about 20 items, they were scanned by the associate in about  30 seconds, and my payment was processed in under a minute. At most it took 90 seconds to check out and I was on my way.

I simply marveled at that experience and how fast it went given the massive crowds.

Now it was time to get a snack and head back out to the course. Right as I came out toward the first hole and ninth, Tiger was coming down nine. I had never seen him. Watched him hit his approach to nine and walk up the hill to the green. He looked tired and injured. Then watched him hit his tee shot on 10. He pulled a 3 wood left. Again, his swing looked a little tired. Then I went to the 18th green and proceeded to walk the course backwards this time. Saw a lot of players. Followed Min Woo Lee for a few as he was making birdies en route to a record tying 30 on the front nine. He is a very small guy who hits it a long way. That was a treat to see in person. Then continued to walk backwards and just marvel at the course.

When I was finished I was tired again. Got a couple of sandwiches and a couple of lemonades. Tried to get my picture taken at the Founder's circle but the line was long. I'll try later I thought. It never happened. I regret that. After not getting in that line I decided to head back out to the course. I walked down 10 and 11, saw a few groups go through 12 and then decided I head over to watch some guys go for it in 2 at the 13th.

That's where I realized again, that there are some things you just can't believe when you're there and see it in person. I just couldn't understand why until I got out to the apex of the 13th fairway. And I looked back toward the tee which you really couldn't see. Then I look toward the green. On TV this hole looks like a dogleg left. In reality, I dare to disagree somewhat. It's really more of a horshoe. One continuous turn to the left, with humpbacks in the right side of the fairway that create sort of speed slots (I saw that on 10 also) that if you hit it in the right place the ball would careen forward to a much more advantageous position. But still, I could not get over the severity of the dogleg. On TV it looks much straighter. I was perplexed by this.

No matter, I took a seat at the east end of the bleachers of the 14th tee where I could see guys on 13 go for it and guys tee off on 14 and hear the whizz of the ball as it flys by. That sound never gets old.

Then I kept looking at the leader board because I though there would be a dogfight with Scheff and Smith after Cam birdied the first two holes. Then he started to waver. Then I saw them post the numbers for the 3rd hole and a 1 shot lead turned to 3. Then 4. I decided to go watch some shots on the par 3 16th. I enjoyed that. It was particularly interesting to see from behind the tee, where some guys were aiming. Some aiming right to catch the green slope, and other guys going right at it. I wondered what I might do if given one chance.

Then I saw Scheff's lead was down to 3 and they were on the back nine. I decide to go find them. However, before I could get to them, the lead was now 6 after they played the 12th.

Also, while heading there, I noticed everyone else was too. It was getting crowded and thick.

I stopped and reconsidered my plan.

I decided not to go watch them or anyone on the back nine, even though "The Masters doesn't start until the back 9 on Sunday" -- I decided to go find all the holes they had already played, which would be empty, and I could stand in the fairway cross walks and look toward the green and back to the tee so I get a feel of sight lines and what players see.

So that's what I did for the last two hours. That was the best part of the day for me. Things started to make sense to me. I could tell where you needed to hit it off the tee, in just the right spot of the fairway, lest you catch a mound and be pushed to a disadvantageous spot off to the side of the fairway or rough, and now the hole just became exponentially more difficult. Now I understood standing behind the 10th tee, why guys might not hit driver. Or standing in the 2nd fairway and looking back up the hill, understanding the downhill slope from right to left that would careen a drive into the 360 range and an ideal line to the green for an eagle. Which was just as fascinating as looking back at the 13th fairway which seemed like a horseshoe to me, or in the middle of the 8th fairway that seemed like a mountain to climb up, with two elephants seemingly buried in the middle of the fairway some 370 off the tee, and absolutely not possible to see the green at all. It was mesmerizing to get looks at all of this from the fairways, behind the tees and the greens.

I'm so glad I did this. No one else was really around. Everyone was going the other way I was. I could spend as much time as I wanted just gazing and looking at sight lines and contours.

Toward the end when I was making my way back up the hill toward 9 and 1, I realized a couple of things.

TV is 2 dimensional. Life is 3. That's why you can't see these severities on TV -- they get flattened out. The topography is somewhat missing.

Then, I played golf at the University of Michigan which is an Alister McKenzie course. I never figured that course out until long after I graduated. And still, I wouldn't call it "figuring it out" -- I just understand it better. I shake my head when I think back on collegiate rounds there how I recklessly slashed my way around that place without giving placement, strategy, positioning, etc., even a bit of thought. It made me think, no wonder first timers at ANGC have so much trouble with the place. You probably need 20 or so rounds, just to start to begin a journey of comprehension of that golf course to understand it better, which, you never will; you'll only get closer, never full, complete understanding. I saw many similarities of the U of M course and ANGC. I loved it.

I remarked to that same ANGC member when if found myself next to him near a garbage can -- I said that I've watched this tourney since I was a kid with my later father on black and white TV, when you had to get up to change the channel, back in the 70's and this is my first time here. I then said, having visited here and seen this property, now I understand why the USGA does what it does with US Opens...lengthens rough, dries out and feverishly rolls greens...they have to. You folks don't. He smiled. That was a nice chat.

I know there are probably USGA employees on or people with strong ties to the USGA, maybe even ANGC too, and I'm sure members of US Open host courses. I mean NO disrespect to those courses or the USGA. I hold them all with the same reverence. I just saw things a little differently than I have in the past having now set foot on the ANGC grounds and seeing that property in person for myself.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with my thoughts or views...it's just stuff that came into my little peabrain when I was out there.

It was a dream come true to go see those holes in person. I will carry those pictures in my head forever.

I hope this wasn't too weird or off-putting to anyone.

Oh...one last thing...the free phones there. I had heard about those. I wrote down the numbers of my in laws and called them to thank them. Then called my wife to tell her I loved her and missed her.

I told them both I snuck my phone in and we needed to keep it down, but I just wanted to give a quick call. My father-in-law, then began to whisper. That was funny and we all had a good laugh. So, that's pretty cool to be able to give someone a call from inside the grounds, and it's right next to the gift shop and before the big old time scoreboard, where the scores are written in markers on tourney sheets, just like all the amateur tourneys I've played in my day. That was cool to see them still doing that where you could see hole by holes scores.

I guess that's about it for now.

Thank you all for your advice to help me with my first visit -- it was greatly appreciated and it helped make it less confusing for me. That place is truly overwhelming and the grounds just massive. You have no idea unless you've been. 

I've slept an avg of 12 hours the last two nights. I finally feel normal.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 01:38:21 PM by Jim O’Kane »

David_Tepper

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2022, 01:37:38 PM »
Jim -

Thanks for your report. Sounds like a GREAT day.

DT

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2022, 01:44:38 PM »
Jim -

Thanks for your report. Sounds like a GREAT day.

DT

Thanks David. It sure was incredible. But it's kinda funny...if someone were to ask me if I saw the Masters, I'd have to say, "No, but I went."

I'm really glad I went to go explore the course instead of watching the last few groups on the back nine. I had to catch up on those highlights on TV.

I hope my strange report was fun to read.

Tim Martin

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2022, 02:06:07 PM »
JOK-Great reporting!!!! I’m glad you had such a terrific day.

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2022, 03:03:53 PM »
JOK-Great reporting!!!! I’m glad you had such a terrific day.

Hey...that's what all my friends have called me for years, JOK. Love that you picked that up. Thanks for reading.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2022, 03:48:43 PM »
I attended the Masters 8 times, anywhere from 1 day to the full 4 days, one thing I can tell you...Sunday is NOT the day to attend because they set the course up for scoring and unlike this year, there is so much action all over the back nine, you can only catch it on tv

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2022, 03:54:28 PM »
Jim, I hope your day was even better than you reported. It's a special place. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
P.S. Mr. Pallotta was correct. I played PCC #9 Sunday (only 27) and still captured over an hour of the tournament's finish.

David_Elvins

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2022, 05:44:48 PM »
Great stuff, Jim.

Thanks for sharing.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back