News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim O’Kane

Anyone going to The Masters on Sunday April 10?
« on: April 04, 2022, 03:42:43 PM »
...if so, I'll be there. My first time ever. Gifted to me for my 55th birthday.

Would be neat to meet other GCA'ers out there if anyone would like to meet up.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 04:02:01 PM by Jim O’Kane »

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: Anyone going to The Masters on Sunday April (I assume) 10?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 03:51:09 PM »
Congrats! Do you have a plan for how to spend the day?

August 10th is a Wednesday.  :)
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Jim O’Kane

Re: Anyone going to The Masters on Sunday August 10?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 04:01:33 PM »
Oh Lord. If I'm out there on August 10, surely I'll be arrested.

Thanks for catching that.

My plan is to be there when the gates open and walk right to the first tee and go walk the entire course before it crowds up.

Then I'm really not sure. I hope to eat a lot of those cheap sandwiches and drink a lot of lemonade's. Then I'll go buy some presents for my wife who was instrumental in making this happen.

Any suggestions on things not to miss? I've heard there are monuments and plaques out there. I have no idea what they are or where they are, but I'd like to go hunt for those too.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 04:15:30 PM »
My plan is to be there when the gates open and walk right to the first tee and go walk the entire course before it crowds up.
I would recommend walking it backward. With plenty of stops to look back to see what the "shot" looks like, of course.

Then I'm really not sure. I hope to eat a lot of those cheap sandwiches and drink a lot of lemonade's. Then I'll go buy some presents for my wife who was instrumental in making this happen.
Do the bag check. They'll store it for you so you don't have to carry it around. Or just mail it all home. Very easy.

Also, the rule on saved seats is that you can sit in them, you just have to give them up when their owner returns (duh).

Any suggestions on things not to miss? I've heard there are monuments and plaques out there. I have no idea what they are or where they are, but I'd like to go hunt for those too.
As an amusing side game, try to find animals: birds, chipmunks, squirrels. Good luck! There aren't even that many insects (like bees around the flowers). Try to find the one palm tree on the grounds (if you don't already know where it is). The only hint I'll give you is that it's on the right-hand side somewhere.

Have fun!
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Mark Smolens

Re: Anyone going to The Masters on Sunday April 10?
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 04:33:30 PM »
Also be prepared to be really, really tired at the end of the day. My one trip was a large group that flew in from Chicago on a Wednesday for practice rounds in the a.m. and then the par-3. 15 minutes after we were in the air for the return flight 90% of the people were sound asleep. You simply cannot tell how great the elevation changes are from television, even with the quality pictures and large screens of today.

One unexpected highlight for me was sitting below the 6th tee when players teed off. You hear the smashed ball, then the sizzle of it flying over your head. Not an all day place to sit, but worth a couple of groups imo

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 04:40:33 PM »
Any suggestions on things not to miss?

Georgia Peach Ice Cream Sandwich

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 04:51:12 PM »

I heard there won’t be any ice cream sandwiches this year.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 04:55:32 PM »

I heard that too -- supply chain strikes again
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2022, 05:01:17 PM »

I was smart enough to walk the back nine first at the inaugural Women's Am. Nobody was around. I got as close as the spectator ropes would allow. You may see a few holes with less jostling and craning.
As for the merchandise "tent," just know there is not a ride at the end of the Disney-esque entry maze but it's well worth it. I knocked out a year's worth of gifts there.
P.S. ALWAYS have your badge/pass visible.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2022, 05:08:27 PM »
Don’t wear golf shoes. The likelyhood of getting a game is low. If you are fat wear slacks. Please.

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2022, 05:09:07 PM »
Don’t wear golf shoes. The likelyhood of getting a game is low. If you are fat wear slacks. Please.

;D

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2022, 05:31:23 PM »
I agree with Erik, and I always walk backwards.  I also tend to watch the front nine holes that don't get as much TV coverage.  I'll be there Thursday and Friday.

Don't forget the no camera policy, and have a credit card with a hefty limit for the merchandise shop.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2022, 05:40:18 PM »
Don't forget the no camera policy, and have a credit card with a hefty limit for the merchandise shop.
And leave your phone in the car. Checking that at the gate is a bit of a pain.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2022, 09:21:00 AM »
I walked it backwards and later forwards and by the end of the day, I was exhausted. Be sure to walk the 5th hole and see that green, not televised much. Sit at the 6th green is they have the pin placement in the back right and watch several groups hit it close and make bogey by going long. 7 used to be a birdie hole but it is sooo long and tight,not anymore. Stand behind the 18th tee, it is so narrow you will be surprised. You will see 3 footers missed a lot by great players. go to the driving range for an hour, watch in awe.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2022, 11:29:25 AM »
I would recommend walking it backward. With plenty of stops to look back to see what the "shot" looks like, of course.

Do the bag check. They'll store it for you so you don't have to carry it around. Or just mail it all home. Very easy.

Also, the rule on saved seats is that you can sit in them, you just have to give them up when their owner returns (duh).

As an amusing side game, try to find animals: birds, chipmunks, squirrels. Good luck! There aren't even that many insects (like bees around the flowers). Try to find the one palm tree on the grounds (if you don't already know where it is). The only hint I'll give you is that it's on the right-hand side somewhere.

Have fun!

This is some great info. Thank you so much. I like the side game! I will certainly try and fine the lone palm. Wonder how that got to the Augusta grounds. I live in Atlanta and I'm pretty sure that tree is not native to that area. Thanks for the really good tips.

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2022, 11:31:51 AM »
I walked it backwards and later forwards and by the end of the day, I was exhausted. Be sure to walk the 5th hole and see that green, not televised much. Sit at the 6th green is they have the pin placement in the back right and watch several groups hit it close and make bogey by going long. 7 used to be a birdie hole but it is sooo long and tight,not anymore. Stand behind the 18th tee, it is so narrow you will be surprised. You will see 3 footers missed a lot by great players. go to the driving range for an hour, watch in awe.

Thanks for this advice. Good stuff. You all who mention the front nine holes are right. I can't really recall what many of them look like except for 2. Thanks for these spots, I will definitely check them out.

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2022, 11:35:31 AM »
Also be prepared to be really, really tired at the end of the day. My one trip was a large group that flew in from Chicago on a Wednesday for practice rounds in the a.m. and then the par-3. 15 minutes after we were in the air for the return flight 90% of the people were sound asleep. You simply cannot tell how great the elevation changes are from television, even with the quality pictures and large screens of today.

One unexpected highlight for me was sitting below the 6th tee when players teed off. You hear the smashed ball, then the sizzle of it flying over your head. Not an all day place to sit, but worth a couple of groups imo

That seems really cool. So, 6 is downhill, par 3?

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2022, 02:16:55 PM »
Does anyone know the policy at the Masters regarding rain checks on days that play is rained out totally or partially?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2022, 03:39:56 PM »
I prefer a passing parade of players. My favorite bleacher locations:

- Behind the first green
- Right of the 5th green
- Behind the 8th green
- Behind 12th tee (not a fav but a 1st timer must.)
- Front row left of 14th tee to watch drives and approaches into 13
- Back right  of all-world 14th green
- Left of pond on 15

I’’ll start at the 1st green a while then follow a great early pairing to the 5th green, sit a while and repeat.  That way I see the entire course and field.

There are two things in this world that are vastly underrated: becoming a grandparent and attending one’s first Masters.

Safe travels.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2022, 04:23:40 PM »

- Behind the first green
- Right of the 5th green
- Behind the 8th green
- Left of pond on 15

I’’ll start at the 1st green a while then follow a great early pairing to the 5th green, sit a while and repeat.  That way I see the entire course and field.

There are two things in this world that are vastly underrated: becoming a grandparent and attending one’s first Masters.

Safe travels.

Mike

Thanks Michael. I'm going to include these spots in a list of places I have going on a piece of paper. Appreciate it Sir. In fact, big thanks to all who have shared some great spots and tips. I really appreciate it and can't be anymore excited. 

Tim Martin

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2022, 09:08:19 PM »

I heard that too -- supply chain strikes again

2022 concession menu has the ice cream sandwiches listed. Can anyone confirm they are gone? :(

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2022, 10:51:23 PM »

- Behind the first green
- Right of the 5th green
- Behind the 8th green
- Left of pond on 15

Safe travels.

Mike

What? No bleachers on the left side of 16? For a Sunday I don’t think there’s a better spot. In the shade. You can see approaches and putting on 15, 16 tee to green, and tee shots on 17. Definitely exciting as the scoreboard shuffles while the action unfolds.

-Cal

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back