News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Newport RI
« on: March 23, 2022, 05:24:49 PM »
I might be going to Newport for a few days and might be able to steal a round of golf. Any suggestions there or nearby?

John Kavanaugh

Re: Newport RI
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 05:40:16 PM »
I’d play where Tiger won the Am. The name escapes me.

Rick Sides

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 06:05:08 PM »
John I think I remember the name of that place but it might be a hard ticket to get even being a member of a private club lol

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 06:37:16 PM »
On the public side there is Newport National and Wanumetonomy is a private Raynor that would be accessible with a call from a pro or a nice letter. Wanumetonomy was used along with Newport CC for the medal play rounds in 1995 for the U.S. Amateur that Tiger won. Both are in Middletown which borders Newport. Finally there is a fun 9 holer right at the foot of the Newport Bridge called Jamestown Golf Course that goes back to the 1890’s.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 06:55:19 PM by Tim Martin »

archie_struthers

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 06:41:59 PM »
 ;D

Newport CC is really private but one never knows if you catch the pro in a good mood

Michael Moore

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 10:49:33 PM »
one never knows

I played a few years ago. Before the round I bought a few shirts for some friends who had asked me to, but I forgot to retrieve them afterwards. When I went back the next day they chased me around the parking lot before I could explain my presence.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 11:41:08 PM »
I can second the motion for Wanumetonomy. It is worth the drive. If you make par on the first hole, I'll buy you a drink. Tim Martin knows New England, and his word is gold.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mike Feeney

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 06:42:02 AM »
Tim & Ron are on-the-mark, "Wanu" is wonderful...restored Seth Raynor with excellent conditioning the last few years. Newport is an unlikely get. As a backup, Montaup in close-by Portsmouth is entertaining -- several good holes, beautiful views. Semi-private.

John Foley

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2022, 08:52:12 AM »
Newport National is a really really good place. Anytime in the area with time i try and get there.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Jeff Schley

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2022, 04:16:36 AM »
During college me and some friends took a trip to NE and drove down to RI and the Cape. Stopped at Newport and met some coeds from Salve Regina College, I think a University now. It had crushed stone driveways I recall and used to be all girls. One of my friends ended up connecting with a very well to do girl whose family owned a variety of businesses. Unplanned, she paid for the entire groups dinner 15 or so of us. As a poor college kid who was using travelers checks I was like this girl is the best!
The only semblance of a golf connection, which I only played in the summer typically at the time and no clue of golf architecture or history was when we were driving to the restaurant. This girl drove me and my friend in her car and past this majestic clubhouse saying, "we can play golf tomorrow there if you want."  I didn't even recall the name, but saw the clubhouse which of course was Newport CC.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2022, 08:01:24 PM »
As a former Caddy at NCC, I have a ridiculous appreciation for the place. I was there is 1984, my first job after college, and NCC was evolving along with the tax codes of that era. Many "Merchants from Town" were new-NCC Members. It was a wild Caddy experience as the club politics was obvious - Old Members =$ and New Members = $$$!! Before that era, many Naval "Flag Officers" (Admirals) were Members. This is a great history of NCC:

https://issuu.com/lhasak/docs/ncc_issu

My wife is 1/2 Jewish, we got engaged in Newport, and contrary to the historical image, Newport is a very accepting town. Many Navy/Port towns are because they were hard to get to via boat, and people looked the "other way" when people "came aboard". There were no planes to send them back to Europe. 

See page 24: "Washinton's Letter to the Jews of Newport".

Clearly not great, Jamestown GC is a GCA 9 hole favorite, and Green Valley is always a fun day - https://www.gvccri.com Again, not great.

I was a BIG fan of 15 holes (3-4 bad holes) at the former-Carnegie Abbey, but that has changed hands a few times. I have no idea what is there now. That was Donald Steel's USA tribute to MacKenzie style greens. They were "over the top" for sure, but it was fun.

When in doubt, we go to Newport (when we don't feel like driving to Maine). From Jon @LinksGems:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 11:20:45 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2022, 08:49:49 PM »
"See page 14: "Washinton's Letter to the Jews of Newport"."

Mike S. -

My mother (1920-2020) was born & raised in Newport, RI. Her family were members at Touro Synagogue (the oldest in the U.S.) there. She could quote passages from George Washington's letter well into her old age.

DT
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 09:21:58 PM by David_Tepper »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2022, 01:57:46 AM »
Thank you, Mike and David - I learned something new and beautiful in looking up that reference. Before that I only thought of Newport because of the jazz festival George Wein started there in the early 50s. But now I have this most lovely and noble idea too, eg that "every one shall sit in safety under his own vine and figtree, and there shall be none to make him afraid. May the father of all mercies scatter light and not darkness in our paths, and make us all in our several vocations useful here, and in his own due time and way everlastingly happy".
It's very good too to imagine David's mother quoting from it even late in her life, having committed it to memory.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 02:37:21 AM by PPallotta »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2022, 08:50:26 PM »
From the letter: while every one shall sit in safety under his own vine and figtree

From Hamilton: Like the scripture saysEveryone shall sit under their own vine and fig treeAnd no one shall make them afraidThey'll be safe in the nation we've madeI wanna sit under my own vine and fig treeA moment alone in the shadeAt home in this nation we've madeOne last time

If you ever need to send a colleague off into retirement, play One Last Time.

In 2016, we played Triggs Memorial in Providence. Loads of Donald J. Ross, Jr., fun.

In 2018, we toured a number of the privates in the region, and missed a few others. We saw Wanume, Wanna, Meta (r.i.p.) and made plans to return some day.

Neat place. Have a niece who lives and works there. Should get up to see her at some point.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Rick Sides

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2022, 06:02:32 PM »
Thanks for the advice!  I have a tee time Thursday at Wanumetonomy.  I'm looking forward to it and will report back

Rick Sides

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2022, 01:44:07 PM »
Wanu was special ! Ronald you owe me a drink … par on hole 1 . 4 hybrid, sand wedge , 2 putt

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back