News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CJames

Re: Sedge Valley
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2022, 01:24:49 AM »
Agree with Ron Montesano that Sedge will be a (surprise?) favorite!  Guessing most visitors will have seldom, if ever, played a par-68 at 6,000 yards.  As a short hitter, I think the Fun Factor will be an 11.  And I hope you are right about the mind-blowing course that we’ve yet to even contemplate!

Yet many/most do that every time they play.
White tees, senior tees, etc.
I've played a lot of golf this winter at a pblic course where the whites were 5700 yards and three of the par 5's were 430 yards(one of which I hit a wedge to). Seems like par 68 to me.

I love to see the scale of the game reduced, but the yardage will not be unique for most.
I'm hoping and assuming there will be far more to it than being 6000 yards with a par 68.

It is implicit that Sedge will tip at roughly 6000.  So you and your white tees will be inside that. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 01:27:58 AM by CJames »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2022, 04:30:28 AM »
I do think that 6,000 par-68 which might equate to 6,300 par-70 or 6,600 par-72 is about the distance that most players play their courses most of the time, certainly in GB&I

So there ain’t anything really new in that.

But there is definitely a market for courses that tip out that way on more compact sites. And that’s what makes this course concept the right one. We’ll be playing a similar length course to the one we always play… but done without the giant scale of modern, “championship” pretences.

Dan Moore

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2022, 12:42:10 PM »
I walked the holes they cleared in 2019-2020 before this was put on hold and they flipped to the Lido. Very interesting land movement with some great green sites.

Anyone who thinks this will be easy might be in for a surprise. I once made the mistake of playing Rye from the back tees-6,400 yards there was as hard as it gets.

Those of us who enjoy a challenge may find it fun. I suspect most will still find MD to be the most fun on the property. 

SV and MD both have 5 par 5's and I think this may have only 1-right there it will be harder vis a vis the other courses.

The shorter walk and faster rounds will be nice and I'm looking forward to the opportunity to shoot my age sooner.

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Tom_Doak

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2022, 02:24:42 AM »
Geez, no wonder TD isn't able to post much these days. He's an Uber busy boy. I don't know how many current and future projects he has, but it looks as though he'll be spending a lot of time in Wisconsin the next few years. Fortunately, it's a puddle jumper or ferry ride away from Traverse City.

Mike:

You don't know the half of it.  We have signed up for a bunch of new projects, and now I've got to figure out how to deliver them all.  Spending zero time on Golf Club Atlas is part of the plan.

My clients in Wisconsin are so concerned with owning the narrative of what we are doing, that I'm honestly afraid to say much about it.  They are concerned that talking about a shorter course like Dan Moore just did could be construed by some customers as a sign of weakness, so they are trying to downplay par, or may even try to go with no par, so that some golfers can pretend par is more like 70 or 72.

But, in the meantime, we will just go about our business building what we have always talked about.  It's a really good piece of ground, and I"m confident that people will like the finished product, because I have seen how the same model works in the UK.  Nobody who's just played Rye or Swinley Forest or West Sussex goes into the grill and gets all analytical about par -- or if they do, I feel sorry for them.

I will be up in Wisconsin working the last week of April, and then again throughout the summer, likely more of the days in May and July than in June or August.  If any of you are around, come out and see what we're up to.  You might even find me running a bulldozer -- I am tuning up again to build a bunch of the greens on a special project in 2023.

Will Lozier

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2022, 01:38:23 PM »
Bumped....any updates on any Doak projects?!?

Aaron Hanson

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2023, 05:03:52 PM »
Apologies if this has been covered in another post, but does anyone know if they're allowing preview play at Sedge Valley yet? I'm going to be there in 2 weeks and my brother and I were hoping to check it out. I've seen some pictures from instagram but when I've asked the reservations team at SV, they've told me nothing has been released yet.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2023, 06:55:38 PM »
There is limited preview play.  I think it’s pretty limited so I’m not sure if you have to pull strings.

We are going to do our own preview in three weeks as a prelude to the Renaissance Cup.  That’s the only feedback I will need.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back