News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Finn

I am wondering if anyone here can help me find additional history or information on this 9 hole Devereux Emmet golf course?  I have been talking a lot of golf with a great guy named John who is doing some work on my kitchen down here in Charlotte.  John is originally from Northeast CT, very close to this course, and has some strong family connections to the place. 

He can confirm (if there was any remaining doubt) that the same course started as Webster Dudley GC, then was Dudley Hill GC, and most recently Nichols GC.  John believes his grandfather, Ted Malboeuf, was part of the group that helped build the course and / or establish it, but he is unsure of the exact role(s) his grandfather played, other than later going on to be multiple time club champion.  John has some of his grandfather’s trophies, labeled Webster Dudley GC, and some absolutely great stories of learning the game from his grandfather in the 70s on the course.  I’d love to gather any information I can on the course, to share with him.  John got very emotional telling me some of the stories about his grandpa, so I know this place meant an awful lot to him.  I’d love to share with him some historical articles or whatever else I can get.

I already shared with him this article (https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,26593.0/nowap.html) that Tony Pioppi shared back 15 or so years ago.  It briefly mentions his grandfather, which is pretty cool.

I also saw some discussion between Sven and Tim on a thread about another course (https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67148.msg1605489.html#msg1605489).

I see that Tommy mentioned a Golf Illustrated article from 1929.  I am having trouble tracking that down.  If anyone can help in any way, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 04:21:08 PM by Brian Finn »
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Tim Martin

Re: Webster Dudley GC / Dudley Hill GC / Nichols GC (Dudley, MA)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 05:14:14 PM »
Brian-I can’t give you anything on the history side. In it’s present condition it’s a fun walk with fairly wide playing corridors and they have kept up with the tree clearing. The guy in the golf shop was accommodating and was happy for the business. My understanding is that there was never much money around to add or change anything between the college and other owners so what is left is fairly original. I noticed on their Web Site that Dev’s first and last name is spelled incorrectly so I wonder if they know of it’s famous origins? As an aside it’s in rarified nine hole company with Whitinsville GC and Cohasse CC a forty minute and fifteen minute ride respectively.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 05:15:47 PM by Tim Martin »

Tim Martin

Re: Webster Dudley GC / Dudley Hill GC / Nichols GC (Dudley, MA)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 06:35:34 PM »
Mark Chalfant may have some information.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back