News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Cummings

Beginning/Ending/Middle Sequential Par 3s
« on: February 21, 2022, 08:29:16 AM »
Say a golf course is going to lose real estate and has a solution to reduce an opening or ending par 4 to a par 3.  Or maybe reduce an internal par 4 to a par 3 making a pair of consecutive par 3s.

For this well traveled DG, what are examples of this out there for full size golf courses?

Lytham starts with a par 3.  For years Congressional ended in a par 3 (no longer).  And Cypress has to have the most famous internal consecutive threes at 15/16.

Any other examples that you can think of out there?  Curious. 

Jim Sherma

Re: Beginning/Ending/Middle Sequential Par 3s
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 10:27:30 AM »
If the holes are good holes that fit the land available then the order of the pars should not matter much. I prefer to end a 9 or 18 on a par 3 as opposed to starting with one. Definitely have played more older courses with oddly placed par 3's then newer courses.

Close to my house there are three courses that were designed with both 9's ending with par 3's. Hershey CC - West (Maurice McCarthy 1930 - original routing), West Shore CC (original 9 ? - taken to 18 by Ed Tabor '40s)  and a public course called Fairview GC (both holes are similar downhill shots with a lake between the greens - it's an awkward area around the clubhouse that would be tough to get two holes away and two holes back to - this is a solution that seems to work and given the footprint they had to work with I'm not sure there was something better).

Basking Ridge CC (Alec Findlay - in New Jersey) ends with a cool long par 3 with a massive green.

I have played one course where both 1 and 18 were both par 3's, Greenspring Valley Hunt Club. Original 9 by Bendelow taken to 18 by RTJ in the '50s. Both holes are on the clubhouse's back yard while the other 16 holes are on a property across the street. It's a pretty neat set up all in all.

All of these examples work well because   

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 10:35:10 AM »
Brora ends with a tough 3. Golspie has consecutive 3's at #16 & #17, two very good holes. Tain also has 3's at #16 & #17. 

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 11:27:11 AM »
 8)  Pensacola CC's 18th is a one shotter, nicely situated between the Clubhouse and the bay, from Jerry Pate's post hurricane redesign.  Bill McBride was very fond of it when we played there with him, and I agree, a great closer!

Link off their website

https://youtu.be/ppze6Xl80mk

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 12:13:18 PM »
Are you just looking for famous examples of this? (Not specifically an example where a club was forced to re-route).

There are many good examples if the former. For consecutive par-3’s, high profile ones that come immediately to mind are Ballybunion, Pacific Dunes and West Sussex

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 01:24:07 PM »
The Tree Farm will start with a par-3.  My original plan had it as a wild par-5, but we didn’t think that hole was the way to start off the course, and when I suggested we could break it up into a par-3 and a short 4, Zac jumped at the idea.  It will double as a 19th and a gambling site in the evenings.  He might need lights!

The only other time I have suggested a par-3 to start or finish was at Stone Eagle, because there was a really good one just laying there once you got up the hill.  But the client could not be convinced to start or end with a par-3, so it wound up as the 19th hole.

I have built two sets of consecutive par-3’s - at Pacific Dunes and Rock Creek - so I know it won’t hold back a course in the rankings, if the two holes are sufficiently good and sufficiently different.  Sedge Valley will also have consecutive par-3’s.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 02:35:30 PM »
Kilspindie begins with a Par 3.
Pasatiempo and Hope Valley end with one. The latter is reminiscent of Brora’s 18th.
Crail Balcomie has consecutive Par 3s (13 and 14) and finishes with a Par 3.

john_stiles

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 03:12:55 PM »
Southport & Ainsdale starts with a par 3. Berkshire Blue starts with a par 3 whilst the Red course ends with a par 3.

Colin Christman

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 03:38:00 PM »
Manchester CC in Connecticut finishes with a longish par 3 with a quasi-Biarritz swale fronting the green. Then again, that course has back-to-back par 5s in both nines, and opens with a short-ish par 4 with a fairway that cants toward the water hazard that runs the entire left of the hole.

Tom Bendelow and Devereux Emmet with redesign work by Tillinghast.

I think any axioms about routing that get in the way of just finding the best holes available to be found are probably more trouble than they're worth.

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2022, 04:37:21 PM »
CC of Farmington in Connecticut finishes with a par three that was changed decades ago from the original par four to allow for Route 10 to pass through. The hole works well and those that don’t know the back story probably wouldn’t realize it wasn’t original.

Paramount CC flipped their nines but regardless both 9 and 18 are par threes that are well placed in the routing. The 9th(original 18th) is one of the few versions of Tillinghast’s “Reef Hole.”

Two other finishing par threes that come to mind are Misquamicut and Boston Golf club. Both are well suited to the land and beside playing nicely provide a good location for spectators to watch the conclusion of a match.

York Golf and Tennis starts out with a stout 210 yard par three and allows the golfer to move out closer to the north side of the York River where a good portion of the holes are located. Though no gentle handshake it’s a solid hole and fits well in the sequence.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2022, 04:43:03 PM »
Wow - thanks all.  Some I'm hitting myself in the head for not remembering.  Pac Dunes....duh!   

Colin Christman

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2022, 04:51:04 PM »
Omni Homestead Cascades course in VA and Old White TPC just across the border at Greenbrier in WV both end on par 3s as well.

Joe Zucker

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2022, 04:54:56 PM »
Oak Hills Country Club in San Antonio (Tillinghast) finishes each 9 with a par 3.  Both holes are fairly similar, playing over a pond that sits well below the tee and green and is not really in play.  Based on where the club house is, the corridor to get out into the property is fairly narrow.  I would not say either are great holes on what is a pretty solid course.

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2022, 05:06:06 PM »
14 and 15 are par three holes at Watertown GC in CT. 14 plays 200 and 15 plays 160. You cross the road after the 12th hole and then zig zag your way back to the house with 13 and 14 playing Southeast, 15 and 16 playing Northwest and 17 and 18 back Southeast again. Despite the parallel holes the finish is solid and two par threes fit well.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2022, 08:31:18 PM »
Omni Homestead Cascades course in VA and Old White TPC just across the border at Greenbrier in WV both end on par 3s as well.

Old White 18 is the only Tour Course that finishes on a Par 3.

At least since Congressional years ago which has been an awful hole as 18 or 10 in all of its iterations. It may win the award for most times redesigned unsuccessfully. Perhaps the new version overcomes its history.

Drew Harvie

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2022, 08:51:19 PM »
Burlington, Kawartha, Oshawa, and Terra Nova's Twin Rivers course are all in Canada's Top 100 and end on a par 3. Haven't played a couse that begins on a par 3.

Pasatiempo ends on a pretty good par 3!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 09:22:24 PM by Drew Harvie »

Tim Leahy

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2022, 10:05:26 PM »
The Tree Farm will start with a par-3.  My original plan had it as a wild par-5, but we didn’t think that hole was the way to start off the course, and when I suggested we could break it up into a par-3 and a short 4, Zac jumped at the idea.  It will double as a 19th and a gambling site in the evenings.  He might need lights!

The only other time I have suggested a par-3 to start or finish was at Stone Eagle, because there was a really good one just laying there once you got up the hill.  But the client could not be convinced to start or end with a par-3, so it wound up as the 19th hole.

I have built two sets of consecutive par-3’s - at Pacific Dunes and Rock Creek - so I know it won’t hold back a course in the rankings, if the two holes are sufficiently good and sufficiently different.  Sedge Valley will also have consecutive par-3’s.
Have you decided whether to keep the par 3 finishing hole at Sandpiper yet?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2022, 01:50:33 AM »
Here in Southern California, two Fazios come to mind with back-to-back par 3s – Pelican Hill Ocean South and Rams Hill.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Jeff Schley

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2022, 02:10:54 AM »
Pacific Grove has this twice. 1/2 and then 9/10 which are total opposites. Love this little course as a sub 6000 yard par 70.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Thomas Dai

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2022, 02:45:21 AM »
5-6-7 at Painswick.
1-2-3 at Church Stretton.
atb

JMEvensky

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2022, 05:03:46 AM »
Aren't 9 & 10 at Quaker Ridge 3-pars?

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2022, 07:18:55 AM »

Here is a thread from years ago on the subject of consecutive par 3s.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,11875.0.html
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tim Fitz

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2022, 10:20:41 AM »
Manchester CC in Connecticut finishes with a longish par 3 with a quasi-Biarritz swale fronting the green. Then again, that course has back-to-back par 5s in both nines, and opens with a short-ish par 4 with a fairway that cants toward the water hazard that runs the entire left of the hole.

Tom Bendelow and Devereux Emmet with redesign work by Tillinghast.

I do not have a lot of experience with Devereux Emmet designs, but the two I have played both include a par 3 18th.  Are Garden City Men’s and Pelham (and Manchester) anomalies or was this an Emmet calling card of some sort?

Matthew Rose

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2022, 05:10:53 AM »
Blackhawk CC in Madison (WI) has consecutive 5s (12-13) and finishes 3-4-3. The 16th is across a road from the rest of the course and sits above Lake Mendota. It also has three sub-300 par fours on the back nine. The whole routing is a bit unusual.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Phil Burr

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2022, 10:43:25 AM »
Gil Hanse's new Caprock in Nebraska ends with a par 3.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back