News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lang

Re: O.T. Phil Mickelson on International Politics and Human Rights
« Reply #425 on: June 14, 2022, 08:58:38 AM »
 8)   CRAIG, I DON'T SUBSCRIBE TO THE NYT, CAN YOU SUMMARIZE REFERENCED ARTICLE?

MY DAD FOUGHT IN WWII, WENT IN ON A GLIDER ON D-DAY, I DON'T THINK HE'D BE TOO THRILLED TO BE LUMPED IN WITH THE MODERN DAY ANTIFA CROWD...

JUST SAYING.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

V. Kmetz

« Reply #426 on: June 14, 2022, 06:51:52 PM »

MY DAD FOUGHT IN WWII, WENT IN ON A GLIDER ON D-DAY, I DON'T THINK HE'D BE TOO THRILLED TO BE LUMPED IN WITH THE MODERN DAY ANTIFA CROWD...

JUST SAYING.

Kudos to your dad for putting it on the line to defeat fascist forces, just like today's American Trumpublicans. But whether he likes, would have liked, may not have liked, is raging against liking... or not, he contributed to defeating anti-democratic, fascist forces, The Axis powers, whose troops he battled, was fascist and in the basic definition he operated as an ANTI FASCIST.  Unfortunately we don't or can't control the labels we get wrapped up with.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tim Leahy

« Reply #427 on: June 14, 2022, 07:09:00 PM »

JUST SAYING.

Kudos to your dad for putting it on the line to defeat fascist forces, just like today's American Trumpublicans. But whether he likes, would have liked, may not have liked, is raging against liking... or not, he contributed to defeating anti-democratic, fascist forces, The Axis powers, whose troops he battled, was fascist and in the basic definition he operated as an ANTI FASCIST.  Unfortunately we don't or can't control the labels we get wrapped up with.
Anti-democratic, fascist forces sounds like the current Republican party to me. :P
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #428 on: June 14, 2022, 07:23:12 PM »

JUST SAYING.

Anti-democratic, fascist forces sounds like the current Republican party to me. :P

Not wrong, Steve Bannon is proud of being MAGA's Leni Riefenstahl ... but what the kind of thread is this, which does not discuss gca and prompts people to extrapolate what dead relatives were or weren't...

LIV is a paid exhibition, which is a shit design for modern golf; the fact the Saudis are behind it and several whining millionaires - the biggest list of chokers, past primes and never was' available today-- makes it easy to dislike.

Meanwhile, these Tour grievances that a handful have here...what's your skin in the game, pal? 
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #429 on: June 14, 2022, 07:50:21 PM »
My grievance with the Tour is that I believe golf would be more fun for me if the professional tour never existed. Now the commissioner wants me to feel like I’ve lost my moral compass if I watch anything else. You can’t beat labor by shaming the client.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #430 on: June 14, 2022, 08:16:19 PM »
My grievance with the Tour is that I believe golf would be more fun for me if the professional tour never existed. Now the commissioner wants me to feel like I’ve lost my moral compass if I watch anything else. You can’t beat labor by shaming the client.
So your against the LIV tour and all the rest, DP, KORN, LPGA etc. too right? What about the USGA and R&A, they are tours also right? What would you have an open every week with qualifying and who would handle sponsorship and rules, planning?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #431 on: June 14, 2022, 09:16:01 PM »
I’m for enjoying my entertainment options. When the Demolition Derby came to town they didn’t ask me to use my car. Oh, and to make sure that it is in perfect condition when they come to pick it up.

Tim Martin

« Reply #432 on: June 15, 2022, 05:56:09 AM »
Mickelson and Dechambeau who were in different practice round groups didn’t get much crowd reaction yesterday when playing off of 1 tee. I didn’t see any interaction on the practice putting green between Phil and other players. He was getting some fan appreciation out on the golf course when we saw him and I didn’t hear any boos. Finally no shock that Kevin Na played the practice round with Phil.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #433 on: June 15, 2022, 08:58:22 AM »
Mickelson and Dechambeau who were in different practice round groups didn’t get much crowd reaction yesterday when playing off of 1 tee. I didn’t see any interaction on the practice putting green between Phil and other players. He was getting some fan appreciation out on the golf course when we saw him and I didn’t hear any boos. Finally no shock that Kevin Na played the practice round with Phil.
If you go to the Masters and listen to others, you realize how many people are there "for something to do" who aren't really truly deep golf fans. It's a place to be seen, a thing to do, an event. The same is true at places like U.S. Opens, etc., so I think there are a LOT of spectators — and this includes golf fans — who only know "hey, that's Phil Mickelson!" and don't know a thing about Saudi Arabia. He'll be cheered around the place, and we're (the "stronger" or "deeper" golf fans for lack of better words) the only ones who know a lot about this stuff.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #434 on: June 15, 2022, 10:15:15 AM »
Time for a new NEWS cycle, this is getting boring
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #435 on: June 15, 2022, 01:58:06 PM »
Boring until the commish plays his next moral hold card.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #436 on: June 15, 2022, 04:47:06 PM »
To you, but you don't think Phil did anything "wrong." It's only getting started. Next March/April will be interesting.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #437 on: June 18, 2022, 09:47:05 AM »
Charles Barkley for the win, as usual:

“If somebody offered me $200 million, I’d kill a relative, even one I liked.”
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #438 on: June 18, 2022, 12:26:48 PM »
Charles Barkley for the win, as usual:
“If somebody offered me $200 million, I’d kill a relative, even one I liked.”
:)
Thanks for that. I love Charles Barkley -- the sanest man in sports broadcasting, and an authentically good person.

David_Tepper

« Reply #439 on: June 18, 2022, 01:47:22 PM »
Jimmy Dunne on the LIV Tour:

https://www.si.com/golf/news/one-of-golfs-most-connected-amateurs-has-much-to-say-on-liv-and-none-of-it-positive

“I don't like it when they say they're 'growing the game,’” Dunne said. “That's crap. I don't even like it when they say 'I have to do what's best for my family.' I really wonder how many of those guys, the lifestyle that they were living was so horrible that their family needed them to do this. Just say, 'I'm at a point in my career where I (want to) make five times as much money against much weaker competition and play less.' Just tell the truth. Don't cover it with a lot of crap.”
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 01:49:22 PM by David_Tepper »

Ken Moum

« Reply #440 on: June 18, 2022, 02:19:39 PM »

https://www.si.com/golf/news/one-of-golfs-most-connected-amateurs-has-much-to-say-on-liv-and-none-of-it-positive

“I don't like it when they say they're 'growing the game,’” Dunne said. “That's crap. I don't even like it when they say 'I have to do what's best for my family.' I really wonder how many of those guys, the lifestyle that they were living was so horrible that their family needed them to do this. Just say, 'I'm at a point in my career where I (want to) make five times as much money against much weaker competition and play less.' Just tell the truth. Don't cover it with a lot of crap.”

The point he makes about those guys losing their edge is interesting.  I think he's right,  especially with guys who've said they're not enjoying the grind...like Dechambeau.

Something I keep wondering is what happens when/if they sign up 100 players and only 48 can play?
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #441 on: June 18, 2022, 02:22:26 PM »
To you, but you don't think Phil did anything "wrong." It's only getting started. Next March/April will be interesting.

I'm not saying Phil did nothing wrong, he obviously did, but what I'm saying, at 52 years old, he is no longer competative, he was 11 over at the US Open, he earned nothing. He has Zero sponsors, so the money grab at $200 million, I'm guessing that more than half on this board would take that in a second.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

jeffwarne

« Reply #442 on: June 18, 2022, 02:41:45 PM »

The point he makes about those guys losing their edge is interesting.  I think he's right,  especially with guys who've said they're not enjoying the grind...like Dechambeau.

Something I keep wondering is what happens when/if they sign up 100 players and only 48 can play?

gotta have a few expendables for "attrition"....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #443 on: June 18, 2022, 05:48:34 PM »
I'm not saying Phil did nothing wrong, he obviously did, but what I'm saying, at 52 years old, he is no longer competative, he was 11 over at the US Open, he earned nothing. He has Zero sponsors, so the money grab at $200 million, I'm guessing that more than half on this board would take that in a second.
Phil could have earned $20-30M+ or so per year for 20+ years if he had kept sponsors and just continued to be kind of a modern day Arnold Palmer. Given the choice between $200M and maybe double or triple that, albeit spread out, I'd probably have taken the greater amount, and that's without considering who is paying.

And to the 100 vs. 48 stuff… they haven't "signed" some of the lower players. I think they know they might play only an event or two.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Sean_A

« Reply #444 on: June 18, 2022, 07:04:50 PM »
Phil could have earned $20-30M+ or so per year for 20+ years if he had kept sponsors and just continued to be kind of a modern day Arnold Palmer. Given the choice between $200M and maybe double or triple that, albeit spread out, I'd probably have taken the greater amount, and that's without considering who is paying.

And to the 100 vs. 48 stuff… they haven't "signed" some of the lower players. I think they know they might play only an event or two.

Could and if may well be much less than his payday.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #445 on: June 18, 2022, 07:28:56 PM »
Could and if may well be much less than his payday.
Perhaps. But even if they end up being about the same amount… there's still the damage done to his reputation/image/brand, whatever you want to call it.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

JohnVDB

« Reply #446 on: June 18, 2022, 07:39:04 PM »

My other favorite quote from the article was:

Dunne said LIV CEO Greg Norman “is the luckiest man in the world, because he had this vendetta his whole career and he found someone to bankroll it.”
[/size][/color]
[/size]That is the entire point of the LIV tour. Norman and Phil are pissed at the tour which made them rich and will do what they can do to destroy it and don’t care who gets hurt in the process. [/color]
[/size][/color]

V. Kmetz

« Reply #447 on: June 18, 2022, 09:08:50 PM »
A friend at the tournament said Mickelson looked like a person sneaking onto the course, afraid that the ranger would pull up at any moment to toss him out.  I have no better speculation or forecast; what I saw was a figure who is depressed/humiliated...that grizzled beard, fallen shoulders and Fuzzy Zoeller glasses --- the exact opposite of the bright eyed Lefty who was youthful in all his years.

There's like a silent understanding between him and all the assembled - "we know what you're all about." 

I haven't read it in a while, but it's sorta like the original Malamud version of "The Natural," where Hobbs takes the Judge's money, has a change of heart in his last at bat, but strikes out anyway... Mercy tracks down his shooting 16 years ago and his acceptance of the bribe, upon which Hobbs is likely to be thrown out of baseball and his memory/stats erased from the record book.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #448 on: June 19, 2022, 12:11:11 AM »
VK - a good and affective post. I'm not someone who ever thought Phil a fake - at least, no more a fake than anyone else. But as per you description, what I saw watching him this week was someone who has dropped a long-held and dominant persona -- and only partly by choice. I think this process is a natural one, and befits the second half of life; but to watch a popular sports figure as his public narrative unravels so completely before our collective eyes is quite remarkable, and actually makes me a little sad. The swashbuckler of my youth seemed so naked and alone out there.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 12:17:22 AM by PPallotta »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #449 on: June 19, 2022, 12:15:00 PM »
"There is no joy in Mudville, mighty Casey just struck out"

The beard makes him look like a grubby guy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back