News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: O.T. Phil Mickelson on International Politics and Human Rights
« Reply #350 on: May 28, 2022, 05:42:10 PM »
I have a hard time believing his entire net worth is tied up in non easily liquidable assets.

If the $400 mill number is accurate and if just 10% of that was tied up in marketable securities, second homes, property etc....that's still $40 mill. 

Considering the average US household makes it work on less than $70k per year, pretty sure Phil can live on that for the rest of his life, even if he never touched his other long term holdings.

Despite Erik’s early and often schadenfreude over Phil’s current situation he has no more viable information regarding his financial situation than you, I or anyone else that has posted. Even if he’s only got $100 million instead of $400 million with half of that being liquid he should be able to manage.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 05:47:15 PM by Tim Martin »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #351 on: May 28, 2022, 05:59:02 PM »
I have a hard time believing his entire net worth is tied up in non easily liquidable assets.

If the $400 mill number is accurate and if just 10% of that was tied up in marketable securities, second homes, property etc....that's still $40 mill. 

Considering the average US household makes it work on less than $70k per year, pretty sure Phil can live on that for the rest of his life, even if he never touched his other long term holdings.

If he’s worth 40 million (liquid) why would he have owed  Bones money when they split? Why would he have not just written a check to pay his gambling debts?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Sean_A

« Reply #352 on: May 28, 2022, 06:34:45 PM »

Despite Erik’s early and often schadenfreude over Phil’s current situation he has no more viable information regarding his financial situation than you, I or anyone else that has posted. Even if he’s only got $100 million instead of $400 million with half of that being liquid he should be able to manage.

If he has a million he's fine. Phil can still earn well above the average salary and a million is far more than most Americans have.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #353 on: May 28, 2022, 08:01:42 PM »
If the $400 mill number is accurate
That's a BIG if.

There's credible talk that much of what Phil does is because he's somewhat hard up for cash. His move to Callaway, this LIV crap… etc.

Anyway, I've just started reading the book. I've continued to hear that if you like Phil, the book will make you like him more. If you dislike Phil, you'll dislike him more.

Shipnuck's interviews haven't impressed me. And I've heard most of what is in the book you could have heard in interviews. Guess I'll see.

Despite Erik’s early and often schadenfreude
Dead wrong as usual, Tim.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 08:03:46 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Tim Martin

« Reply #354 on: May 28, 2022, 08:20:36 PM »
If the $400 mill number is accurate
That's a BIG if.

There's credible talk that much of what Phil does is because he's somewhat hard up for cash. His move to Callaway, this LIV crap… etc.

Anyway, I've just started reading the book. I've continued to hear that if you like Phil, the book will make you like him more. If you dislike Phil, you'll dislike him more.

Shipnuck's interviews haven't impressed me. And I've heard most of what is in the book you could have heard in interviews. Guess I'll see.

Despite Erik’s early and often schadenfreude
Dead wrong as usual, Tim.

The myriad of posts you have made on this thread are all anti Phil and it’s clear you are enjoying his fall from grace. How am I dead wrong!? ::)

Rob Marshall

« Reply #355 on: May 28, 2022, 08:50:37 PM »
Tim, not worth the effort.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #356 on: May 28, 2022, 09:57:13 PM »
The myriad of posts you have made on this thread are all anti Phil and it’s clear you are enjoying his fall from grace. How am I dead wrong!? ::)
Because I know how I'm feeling about this and "enjoyment" isn't in the same room.

I don't particularly like Phil, but I don't really dislike him. He's one of the possibly five best golfers in history. He's signed about a billion autographs, and even if it was somehow "phony," there are thousands (or hundreds of thousands?) of kids out there who couldn't care less because Phil made their day one time. I don't care about off-the-course shit (rumors) any more for Phil than I do for Tiger. The guy's a human being who… was good at golf. I limit how much I care about him to mostly the golf stuff.

I know how I feel about this. You do not.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Tim Martin

« Reply #357 on: May 28, 2022, 10:08:09 PM »
Because I know how I'm feeling about this and "enjoyment" isn't in the same room.

I don't particularly like Phil, but I don't really dislike him. He's one of the possibly five best golfers in history. He's signed about a billion autographs, and even if it was somehow "phony," there are thousands (or hundreds of thousands?) of kids out there who couldn't care less because Phil made their day one time. I don't care about off-the-course shit (rumors) any more for Phil than I do for Tiger. The guy's a human being who… was good at golf. I limit how much I care about him to mostly the golf stuff.

Seems like your backpedaling. Rob’s right so I won’t bother to reference any of the posts you made over the last 14 pages of which not one shows anything but malice toward Phil. I could care less what you think or how you are feeling about the topic at hand but at least be honest. ::)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 10:10:51 PM by Tim Martin »

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #358 on: May 28, 2022, 10:31:45 PM »
Saw one of the LPGA players this week had "Saudi Golf" embroidered on her sleeve - uh oh!

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #359 on: May 28, 2022, 10:32:34 PM »
Seems like your backpedaling.
Nope. I went back and re-read most of my posts in this topic. I'm comfortable in being the one who knows best how I feel.

Rob’s right so I won’t bother to reference any of the posts you made over the last 14 pages of which not one shows anything but malice toward Phil. I could care less what you think or how you are feeling about the topic at hand but at least be honest.
::)

How much less could you care? And "not one?"

My first one shows no malice toward Phil:
The NFL and NBA also make a lot more money than the PGA Tour.

No malice here, just pointing out that Phil's stated numbers are bogus:
That's PGA Tour, not PGA, and the cash reserves are both not nearly as big as Phil thinks they are, nor are they as big now since they helped fund the PGA Tour through the pandemic. That's what those reserves can be used to do - survive stuff like the pandemic while still putting on tournaments.None of Phil's stated numbers are generally close. The Tour pays out a comparable portion of its revenues, not 26% like Phil claimed. Etc. He's full of shit on a lot of what he says. $2B in digital assets? How on earth does he arrive at that number? And do players own their images/video in other sports? No, because the league negotiates the terms of the TV deals (or teams do).The list of BS from Phil goes on and on.

Malice here? Your malice meter must be really sensitive:

I don't like the concept of the unauthorized biography of a living person.
Are you also against all news articles that are unauthorized? Because this isn't all that different. More below.
It seems really invasive and bound to get things wrong- and it becomes part of the record that people take as gospel.
Alan is a reporter, and here's where things are things are the same as the news stuff above: they still have to get sources. They still have to verify things, or report who said what. If Billy Walters is quoted as saying "Phil did this" and Phil didn't do that, his issue isn't with Alan, it's with Billy. And Alan likely also double- or triple-sourced that, even though the one hardest hitting quote might come from Billy. (Or whatever.)
It feels like literary paparazzi and anything negative puts the subject in the position where they get hounded about it and have to answer to it.  i.e. it changes their life.
Phil's life is already "changed" because he's a public figure. He's not exactly shied away from publicity.And Alan asked Phil to be involved repeatedly. Phil, until he called, chose not to be involved. That's a choice he made.Did you object to the Tiger biography from the investigative reporters. I did, but only after the fact because the book got many basic facts wrong, and because I've grown up in the Tiger era, I didn't learn much new. That won't be the case with the Phil book, from what I hear. But I had no issue with them writing it. I only wish it had been better.

Here's another, with so much malice!

His "duty of care" is to the audience, his readers, not the subject here. It's not like Phil is a victim of something here (rape, whatever) and AS is outing him. He reported what the subject said when the subject called him of his own volition.

Are the both of you just waiting for Garland to join in? That'd be the Troll Trifecta.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Kalen Braley

« Reply #360 on: May 29, 2022, 11:43:48 AM »

If he’s worth 40 million (liquid) why would he have owed  Bones money when they split? Why would he have not just written a check to pay his gambling debts?

Rob,

His gambling issues occurred a decade ago so I presume they have been resolved, but perhaps not.

As for Bones, I also presume Phil is a normal human who is subject to prideful spite from time to time and he certainly wouldn't be the only person on the planet to stiff someone when a relationship fell apart.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #361 on: May 29, 2022, 01:04:22 PM »
As for Bones, I also presume Phil is a normal human who is subject to prideful spite from time to time and he certainly wouldn't be the only person on the planet to stiff someone when a relationship fell apart.
I think the stiffing was the cause of the breakup, not a byproduct. I haven't gotten to that part of the book yet but others have, and I think Bones was owed about a million dollars (mainly from the FedExCup bonuses) in back pay, and Phil wasn't paying for a long time, so Bones ended the relationship. I also think I heard Phil may have paid a portion (like $400k, and then maybe another $500k), but was still a few thousand to hundred thousand short.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Rob Marshall

« Reply #362 on: May 29, 2022, 02:10:54 PM »

Rob,

His gambling issues occurred a decade ago so I presume they have been resolved, but perhaps not.

Kalen, you may be right but the investigation was a decade ago that doesn’t mean his gambling ever stopped. I was under the impression that the money he owed Bones was one of the reasons for the break up.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #363 on: May 29, 2022, 02:17:41 PM »

Seems like your backpedaling. Rob’s right so I won’t bother to reference any of the posts you made over the last 14 pages of which not one shows anything but malice toward Phil. I could care less what you think or how you are feeling about the topic at hand but at least be honest. ::)

Tim,
I think you are the only person who responded to any of his posts. Just ignore them. You fell into his trap……JAT

Tim Martin

« Reply #364 on: May 29, 2022, 03:14:25 PM »

Tim,
I think you are the only person who responded to any of his posts. Just ignore them. You fell into his trap……JAT

Rob-Engaging with him is like not marking and then waving at a short putt. I tell myself not to do it but occasionally it happens. ;D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 05:02:28 PM by Tim Martin »

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #365 on: May 29, 2022, 09:15:08 PM »
Rob-Engaging with him is like not marking and then waving at a short putt. I tell myself not to do it but occasionally it happens. ;D
And yet my posts are on-topic, while many of your posts or Rob's posts are simply about me. None of my posts here demonstrate "malice" toward Phil Mickelson. Get a new dictionary.

And get over your mini-obsession with me, eh?  :)  Or just stick to the topics.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

David_Elvins

« Reply #366 on: May 30, 2022, 04:25:24 AM »
The truth relating to phil is uncomfortable. 

If speaking the uncomfortable truth is malice, and ignorant drivel is virtuous, I am not sure the point of having a discussion on anything
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #367 on: May 30, 2022, 07:08:03 AM »

If speaking the uncomfortable truth is malice, and ignorant drivel is virtuous, I am not sure the point of having a discussion on anything

Excellent; thank you!
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #368 on: May 30, 2022, 08:04:57 AM »
   I don’t understand all the hand ringing.  Has Phil or anyone else said that anything in the book isn’t true?

Niall C

« Reply #369 on: May 30, 2022, 08:30:46 AM »

Excellent; thank you!

On the other hand, if you believe everything you say is undeniably the truth and anyone else's view that is contrary is just ignorant drivel, then you are probably beyond having a discussion in any case.

Niall

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #370 on: May 30, 2022, 02:14:09 PM »

Excellent; thank you!

On the other hand, if you believe everything you say is undeniably the truth and anyone else's view that is contrary is just ignorant drivel, then you are probably beyond having a discussion in any case.

Niall

Niall,

As George Carlin said, “My shit is stuff, and your stuff is shit.”

Sean_A

« Reply #371 on: May 30, 2022, 07:14:37 PM »

Excellent; thank you!

Niall

Niall,

As George Carlin said, “My shit is stuff, and your stuff is shit.”

Move your shit so I can put my stuff down.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Kalen Braley

« Reply #372 on: May 31, 2022, 09:33:25 AM »
Ha ha,

Well if the behind the scenes facts were well known and verifiable, I suspect this thread wouldn't be 15 pages long now would it!  ;D

Carl Johnson

« Reply #373 on: June 06, 2022, 06:03:00 PM »
https://wapo.st/396MGro    don't know if you'll be able to access this wapo article

Tim Leahy

« Reply #374 on: June 06, 2022, 07:04:12 PM »
I have always thought PM was a fake and always cheered against him except on the Ryder Cup. Fake smile, fake thumbs up and now he will fit in well on a fake pro tour. His game speaks for itself and he's earned everything he's accomplished on the course. Outwardly he still comes off as a fake playing on a tour bankrolled by mf'n(his words) thugs. I won't miss him and will continue to wish him nothing but bad luck in the majors he does play in.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back