News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Re: O.T. Phil Mickelson on International Politics and Human Rights
« Reply #275 on: May 17, 2022, 11:29:15 AM »
History has taught us never to underestimate the ability of them to come after you next.

Who is “them”?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #276 on: May 17, 2022, 11:39:00 AM »
We all choose our own thems. That’s how they get us.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #277 on: May 17, 2022, 12:54:46 PM »
John,

I appreciate this latest round of stirring up the muck, its been very amusing.

But go read AG's last post again.  He super-nailed it!!

P.S.  I can't figure out if your jealous or glad that you don't have Phil's level of fame.  Sure it has tons of upside, but also a large burden to carry.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 12:57:01 PM by Kalen Braley »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #278 on: May 17, 2022, 02:11:38 PM »
Was “jealous” an edit?

David_Tepper

« Reply #279 on: May 17, 2022, 02:30:11 PM »
Don't worry John. We know who the "little bitch" is on this chatboard. ;)

And speaking of Sports Illustrated:

https://www.si.com/golf/news/the-engaging-addictive-phil-fills-the-void-that-phil-mickelson-himself-created

"A human being. Flawed and idolized, despised and lionized. Shipnuck does a terrific job of shaping these complexities into a compelling, 249-page read that has already become central to the biggest golf story in 2022."
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 02:43:30 PM by David_Tepper »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #280 on: May 17, 2022, 04:10:51 PM »

No, John; when “they” come after groups, “they” pick the group, not the other way around.  And you’re a well-to-do white guy, so nobody is coming for you AT ALL.

Maybe when Shipnuck’s book actually comes out, there will be fact checking done to see if PM has been misrepresented or defamed in some way. So far, I haven’t heard a thing about that book that hasn’t been more or less known about PM for decades now, which is part of the reason I have little interest in reading the book, much less paying for it.  Phil Mickelson has a gambling problem? Wow! Who knew?  Phil Mickelson is for sale to the highest bidder? Glad I was sitting down for THAT news flash!

Up until now, PM has done nothing but promote the book by his statements and actions. As in several US Opens, he’s been his own worst enemy, and in this case, Shipnuck’s unpaid publicist.  PM doesn’t have to worry about “them” coming for him; he’s already cut his own throat.  (And made Alan Shipnuck a boatload of money in the process.)
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #281 on: May 17, 2022, 04:21:10 PM »

No, John; when “they” come after groups, “they” pick the group, not the other way around.  And you’re a well-to-do white guy, so nobody is coming for you AT ALL

What exactly is Phil?

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #282 on: May 17, 2022, 04:28:41 PM »

No, John; when “they” come after groups, “they” pick the group, not the other way around.  And you’re a well-to-do white guy, so nobody is coming for you AT ALL

What exactly is Phil?

His own worst enemy, which was true long before any of us ever heard of Alan Shipnuck.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #283 on: May 17, 2022, 04:36:18 PM »
Like I’m not.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #284 on: May 17, 2022, 08:02:01 PM »
Like I’m not.
Point taken, John.
But I think there's a better than even chance that Alan Shipnuck won't make you his next subject.

Rob Marshall

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

David_Tepper

« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 10:32:33 AM by David_Tepper »

Steve Lapper

« Reply #287 on: May 18, 2022, 11:01:56 AM »
Phil's sponsors prominently displayed must be so excited about this picture...........

https://www.golfwrx.com/676935/how-mickelson-gambled-during-tournaments-with-announcer-who-was-throwing-wadded-up-twenties-out-of-tower/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Blogroll_Home&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=unused

Those phots were taken in the locker room of Shadow Creek after his victory in his silly The Match game v. Tiger in 2018. I'm sure his sponsors actually enjoyed seeing that one :`).
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Jason Topp

« Reply #288 on: May 18, 2022, 11:13:49 AM »
I finished the book.  It actually is much more positive about Phil than the released excerpts suggest and provides little related to the gambling that has not already been released. 

I am not sure whether it made me think more positively or more negatively of the guy.  I will always admire his career - particularly his longevity and his ability to come back from losses of the type that typically crush others.  I also have always admired how he makes the game fun.

Nonetheless, he is a strange guy.  Maybe one needs to be strange to compete at that level for 30 years.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #289 on: May 18, 2022, 11:52:49 AM »

Nonetheless, he is a strange guy.  Maybe one needs to be strange to compete at that level for 30 years.

The “strangeness” of elite athletes in general, and those with extremely long careers in particular, is their ability to drive themselves to stay motivated, and to compartmentalize their lives. Guys like Brady and Jordan and Nolan Ryan are great examples of this. I think the general public is perhaps blinded by their talent, and doesn’t fully understand the work ethic of guys like that. Maintaining that work ethic into your 30’s and beyond, when your body is beginning to rebel and you have all the money in the world is really “strange”, if you will, and most just can’t do it.

Mickelson has all of that, but a large dose of additional strangeness all his own, and it’s shown up a bunch of different ways over the years.  In that regard, the best comparison I can think of might be Pete Rose. In addition to the obvious gambling parallels/questions, both men have shown a remarkable ability NOT to just shut up at moments when that was clearly the thing to do. 

Fwiw, I am usually not bothered when I find out an athlete gambles, even a lot and for big dollars. They are hyper-competitive people with a lot of money, so no surprise there. That said, Rose and Mickelson seem to have had other things going on where they couldn’t successfully compartmentalize their gambling. Just my take…

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #290 on: May 18, 2022, 05:47:51 PM »
I finished the book.  It actually is much more positive about Phil than the released excerpts suggest and provides little related to the gambling that has not already been released. 

I am not sure whether it made me think more positively or more negatively of the guy.  I will always admire his career - particularly his longevity and his ability to come back from losses of the type that typically crush others.  I also have always admired how he makes the game fun.

I just started the book, so far it is ok.

Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Carl Johnson

« Reply #291 on: May 18, 2022, 10:03:02 PM »
I had planned to buy Shipnuck's book, but I read the "look inside" pages on Amazon and decided it wouldn't be worth it.  Take a look and decide for yourself, of course.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #292 on: May 19, 2022, 09:09:28 AM »
I have read the book.  I give Shipnuck a ton of credit, he handled some salacious items with class and made those who apparently started the rumors the ones to be reviled.

From a golf perspective it’s amazing the number of doubles or series of bogeys Phil made when winning or just coming up short in majors.

Proud member of a Doak 3.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #293 on: May 19, 2022, 09:50:06 AM »
Is the word sex ever used in the book?

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #294 on: May 19, 2022, 10:32:32 AM »

Don’t think so.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2022, 10:43:10 AM »

Don’t think so.

That must be heartbreaking for the purchaser. Is reading a library book the moral equivalent to purchasing one? We do pay for the privilege through taxation.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #296 on: May 19, 2022, 12:00:47 PM »
Mike,

I was curious along with Barney.  'Salacious' denotes Phil perhaps did a Tiger with sexual improprieties and such...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #297 on: May 19, 2022, 12:04:09 PM »
After you write a book like this do you have to cite anything you learned from Wikipedia?

Steve Salmen

« Reply #298 on: May 19, 2022, 01:18:29 PM »
What did Phil say or do that put him in this position?  I think it had to do with Saudi Arabia and the PGA Tour but cannot connect the two from what I've read. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 01:56:51 PM by Steve Salmen »

Steve Lang

« Reply #299 on: May 20, 2022, 11:49:32 AM »
 8)  Hold it... No Sex? any drugs or rock & roll?  How much for fun or profit can this book be?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 10:01:44 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back