News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Re: O.T. Phil Mickelson on International Politics and Human Rights
« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2022, 05:13:18 PM »

[size=1.5rem][/size]
[size=1.5rem]I copied and pasted this from Alan Shupnick
The Truth About Phil and Saudi Arabia

[font=AvenirNextLTPro-Regular !important]What does Mickelson want? The answers are contained in a new book about the vexing superstarBy Alan Shipnuck
[/font][/size]
[size=1.5rem][font=AvenirNextLTPro-Regular !important]As the Saudi Golf League threatens to create a new world order for professional golf, one of the biggest questions in the game can be boiled down to three words: Whither Phil Mickelson? Mercurial, strident, Machiavellian, the 51-year-old Hall of Famer is, as has often been the case, engulfed in controversy. Mickelson has refrained from saying anything of substance publicly about the upstart SGL, but his involvement in the birth of the tour is much more extensive than has been previously known; he laid out the details for me in a long phone call last November, as I was putting the finishing touches on my forthcoming book [font=AvenirNextLTPro-It !important]Phil: The Rip-Roaring (and Unauthorized!) Biography of Golf’s Most Colorful Superstar[/i][/font]. Knowing that in the course of my reporting I had conducted (nearly 200) interviews with both his critics and supporters, Mickelson couldn’t resist trying to peddle influence regarding one of the most polarizing chapters in a quarrelsome career.[/font]
[font=AvenirNextLTPro-Regular !important]Mickelson told me he had enlisted three other “top players” he declined to name and that they paid for attorneys to write the SGL’s operating agreement, codifying that the players would have control of all the details. He didn’t pretend to be excited about hitching his fortunes to Saudi Arabia, admitting the SGL was nothing more than what he called “sportswashing” by a brutally repressive regime. “They’re scary motherfuckers to get involved with,” he said. “We know they killed [[font=AvenirNextLTPro-It !important]Washington Post[/font][/font] reporter and U.S. resident Jamal] Khashoggi and have a horrible record on human rights. They execute people over there for being gay. Knowing all of this, why would I even consider it? Because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reshape how the PGA Tour operates. They’ve been able to get by with manipulative, coercive, strong-arm tactics because we, the players, had no recourse. As nice a guy as [PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan] comes across as, unless you have leverage, he won’t do what’s right. And the Saudi money has finally given us that leverage. I’m not sure I even want [the SGL] to succeed, but just the idea of it is allowing us to get things done with the [PGA] Tour.”
[font=AvenirNextLTPro-Regular !important]Indeed, Monahan has treated the SGL as an existential threat, warning that any player who signs on with the competition would be banned for life by the PGA Tour. (This is a legally dubious position but reflects Monahan’s siege mentality.) The Tour quickly began pumping money to the players to try to blunt the Saudi incursion, jacking up the 2021 Players Championship purse to $15 million and introducing the $40 million Player Impact Program, which was billed as a bonus pool for the pros who best engaged with fans through social media. The Tour has alluded to shadowy algorithms and metrics but refuses to make public how the money is being distributed, leaving no doubt it is merely a slush fund for Monahan to try to buy the loyalty of his superstars. The day after Mickelson called me, word leaked about the Tour’s continued efforts to purchase its players’ happiness: For 2022, the PIP has been raised to $50 million; the FedEx Cup bonus pool has increased from $60 million to $75 million; two spurious season-long bonus programs will hand out $20 million more; and tournament purses are increasing by $60 million to $427 million, with the Players Championship payout rising to $20 million. That’s double what the Tour doled out for its flagship event in 2014, and in 2018 the purse was [font=AvenirNextLTPro-It !important]only[/font][/font] $11 million.
[font=AvenirNextLTPro-Regular !important]Mickelson’s gambit with the Saudis had clearly worked, to the benefit of all, but even with the influx of so much funny money he remains unsatisfied. In his mind, two larger battles remain: the players taking possession of their media rights and a wholesale restructuring of how the players are governed. The Tour’s hard-line policy has long been that it absolutely owns the media rights to its members, in perpetuity. So, for example, Turner Sports had to pay the Tour a $1 million licensing fee each of the times Phil has teed it up in an iteration of [font=AvenirNextLTPro-It !important]The Match[/font][/font], though Mickelson himself has made upwards of $15 million from the franchise. “I don’t want to say it’s infuriating, but it is definitely more than frustrating,” he said of having to pay the rights fee. A bigger deal is that the players don’t own the highlights of their own shots. Each of these moments potentially could be turned into an NFT and sold to fans or collectors. (Over the last year more than $600 million of NBA NFTs have been sold, with the 5 percent transaction fees being split evenly among every player in the league; numerous NFTs of NBA players have sold for prices in the six figures.) “The Tour is sitting on multiple billions of dollars worth of NFTs,” Mickelson said during our chat. “They are sitting on hundreds of millions of dollars worth of digital content we could be using for our social media feeds. The players need to own all of that. We played those shots, we created those moments, we should be the ones to profit. The Tour doesn’t need that money. They are already sitting on an $800 million cash stockpile. How do you think they’re funding the PIP? Or investing $200 million in the European Tour? The Tour is supposed to be a nonprofit that distributes money to charity. How the fuck is it legal for them to have that much cash on hand? The answer is, it’s not. But they always want more and more. They have to control everything. Their ego won’t allow them to make the concessions they need to.” Just before Christmas 2021—a month after Mickelson uttered those words—an internal memo leaked with the news the PGA Tour was creating an NFT platform for its players to provide them a source of “long-term, incremental revenue.” Once again, Mickelson’s brinkmanship had worked.
[font=AvenirNextLTPro-Regular !important]But are his grievances fueled by money or principle? With Mickelson, you can never be sure. Given the massive scale of his gambling losses—detailed elsewhere in the book, which, as it happens, can be preordered here—the Saudi seduction might be born of necessity. Mickelson, whose $94 million in career PGA Tour earnings is second only to that of Tiger Woods, raised eyebrows when he sold his Gulfstream in 2019. “He loved that plane so much it was like his fourth child,” says someone very close to Mickelson. “I was absolutely shocked that he sold it. The only reason I could possibly imagine him doing that was him feeling serious financial pressure.” Phil and his wife, Amy, have purchased land on Jupiter Island, in Florida, and have been interviewing architects; Phil may yet get the haven from state income tax he has long lusted after. “I was interviewing him one time,” says writer John Feinstein, “and he said, apropos of nothing, ‘You always think of me as a right-winger, but I’m actually pretty liberal on social issues like abortion.’ I said, ‘But your number one issue is taxes.’ He said, ‘No, no, no, my number one, two, three, four, and five issues are taxes.’”[/font]
[font=AvenirNextLTPro-Regular !important]But Mickelson’s second outstanding issue with the Tour has nothing to do with money. It’s about control. “The Tour likes to pretend it’s a democracy, but it’s really a dictatorship,” he told me. “They divide and conquer. The concerns of the top players are very different from the guys who are lower down on the money list, but there’s a lot more of them. They use the top guys to make their own situation better, but the top guys don’t have a say.” Players are a minority on the all-powerful PGA Tour Policy Board, holding only four of the nine seats, with the other five being filled by luminaries of the business world who, by age and experience, have more in common with the commissioner than the jocks. Mickelson’s idea for governance is, he says, based on the U.S. Congress: The Tour’s vast middle class would be like the House, voting on ideas that would then be rejected or tweaked and ultimately ratified by a much smaller Senate-like body composed of the game’s biggest stars. “That way nothing will get done without the approval of both sides,” Mickelson says. It is an idealistic vision.[/font]
[font=AvenirNextLTPro-Regular !important]Phil claims to have spent at least a dozen hours on the phone talking through these issues with Monahan, but found him to be unresponsive. He now has a kindred spirit in Greg Norman, who is overseeing the SGL in his role as the CEO of LIV Golf Investments, which is funded by Saudi oil. “We respect each other’s point of view,” Norman told me. “We understand market value and that the [PGA] Tour works for us, we don’t work for the Tour. Phil asks tough questions. He’s not here to placate anybody. He’s got a mind of his own and his own opinions, which can be incredibly strong and poignant.”[/font]
[font=AvenirNextLTPro-Regular !important]On issues of name-image-likeness, the SGL policies will be far more favorable to the players than what they are getting with the PGA Tour, opening up another massive revenue stream in addition to the guaranteed dough that comes with playing for the SGL.[/font]
[font=AvenirNextLTPro-Regular !important]Mickelson has a compulsive need to be seen as the smartest guy in the room. Not once did he say our conversation was off-the-record or on background or just between us or anything remotely like that. He simply opened a vein. Even knowing he came armed with an agenda, I was amazed by his bluntness. As always, he remains a wild card. Is the House of Saud’s long money seductive? Obviously. But for Mickelson, the Saudi question is about being right as much as anything else. Is he really ready to try and blow up the PGA Tour if he doesn’t get his way?[/font]
[font=AvenirNextLTPro-Regular !important]“I know 20 guys who want to do this,” he said about the SGL, “and if the Tour doesn’t do the right thing, there is a high likelihood it’s going to happen.”[/font]

[/size][size=1.25rem]1,127 thoughts on “The Truth About Phil and Saudi Arabia”[/font][/color][/size][/size]
  • [size=1.5rem][size=1.25rem]
    [/size][/size]
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2022, 05:31:54 PM »
So who is taking the high road in this battle for oceans of cash?

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #202 on: March 28, 2022, 07:30:56 PM »
I was going to re-post it without the crap text, but this is just the old article from https://firepitcollective.com/the-truth-about-phil-and-saudi-arabia/, so read it there, folks.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

jim_lewis

« Reply #203 on: March 29, 2022, 08:58:58 PM »
Lou:
I doubt that Phil is his own worst enemy. There may be some others who deserve that distinction.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

archie_struthers

« Reply #204 on: March 29, 2022, 10:11:32 PM »
 8)

Think ;D that he's on double secret  probation....would never miss Masters otherwise.

Mark Mammel

« Reply #205 on: March 29, 2022, 11:11:06 PM »
Lou:
I doubt that Phil is his own worst enemy. There may be some others who deserve that distinction.
Who? Hard to image a scenario where Phil was lead down the garden path without his knowledge.
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Kalen Braley

« Reply #206 on: March 30, 2022, 12:21:10 PM »
I'm curious too who these "others" may be.

P.S. I think Phil's attempt at a greed based argument rang very hollow considering he's richer than dirt and made more than anyone on the planet (outside of Tiger) by playing golf.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 12:22:41 PM by Kalen Braley »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2022, 02:16:50 PM »
Lou:
Perhaps we could agree that there is nobody who can (or has) done Phil more harm than Phil himself. 
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Carl Johnson

« Reply #208 on: April 05, 2022, 05:31:33 PM »
I'm curious too who these "others" may be.

P.S. I think Phil's attempt at a greed based argument rang very hollow considering he's richer than dirt and made more than anyone on the planet (outside of Tiger) by playing golf.

But, still, does Phil really have enough?  Apparently not.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #209 on: April 05, 2022, 05:44:25 PM »
Lou:
Perhaps we could agree that there is nobody who can (or has) done Phil more harm than Phil himself.
Maybe Pete Rose

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #211 on: May 05, 2022, 05:59:50 PM »
Very interesting column from Alan Shipnuck:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/inside-the-phil-mickelson-firestorm-from-the-man-who-sparked-it?utm_medium=email&utm_source=050522&utm_campaign=hitlist&utm_content=DM27527&uuid=9861c6da148243648f1aa92679fb32a0

I quit reading when the author played himself off as a victim. Can’t believe he didn’t learn that’s what happens to gossips back when he was honing his craft in middle school. ZZ Top and Yeti in the same beard joke.  Is Nooruddean too obscure for the golf crowd?

David_Tepper

« Reply #212 on: May 05, 2022, 07:56:18 PM »
Don't worry John. There is no accounting for taste, even yours. 

Mark Kiely

« Reply #213 on: May 05, 2022, 11:17:50 PM »
Pretty sure this was mentioned earlier in this thread, but it's total bush league stuff to basically omit any details and then still tell the "off the record" stories and talk about how they would've been international news if he'd been able to write the story. Chances are many will interpret that as something worse than whatever the actual story would've been.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Steve Lapper

« Reply #214 on: May 06, 2022, 02:40:01 PM »
Pretty sure this was mentioned earlier in this thread, but it's total bush league stuff to basically omit any details and then still tell the "off the record" stories and talk about how they would've been international news if he'd been able to write the story. Chances are many will interpret that as something worse than whatever the actual story would've been.

Mark & John,

Do you personally know the author, Alan Shipnuck, or are you just content to slander his integrity willy-nilly because it feels good for you?

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #215 on: May 06, 2022, 03:46:06 PM »
Steve,

I thought his beard references were lame. I also believe this book is beneath him. Has the author made it on barstool yet? 

Steve Lapper

« Reply #216 on: May 06, 2022, 06:25:58 PM »
Steve,

I thought his beard references were lame. I also believe this book is beneath him. Has the author made it on barstool yet?

John,

Given that Alan now sports a healthy beard, and Phil has always been publicly clean shaven, I think the mention was likely noted to reinforce the "hermit look." I'll constructively disagree with you on the tome being beneath him. Phil is a very interesting subject and unlike Tiger or Hogan, hardly overexposed in any autobiographical sense.

Lastly, I certainly hope its made Barstool! If I was an author looking to promote a sports-related book, I'd want to be there.  Cheers! S

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Mark Kiely

« Reply #217 on: May 06, 2022, 06:43:54 PM »

Mark & John,

Do you personally know the author, Alan Shipnuck, or are you just content to slander his integrity willy-nilly because it feels good for you?

First of all, I'd suggest you pick up a dictionary and look up "slander."

Second of all, how can you disagree? He's basically saying, "Oh man if only I could tell you all the stories I've heard" in a cheap attempt to further damage Phil's reputation. I'm all for exposing Phil for whatever he is, but as a journalist, if you don't have the story, you don't have the story. Leave it at that. There's obviously plenty of ammunition in this book already.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #218 on: May 07, 2022, 06:42:04 AM »
Mark,

You most certainly "defamed" Shipnuck's integrity. I'm sure that passes most peoples OED test, and to boot, have zero idea who the author really is.

He made distinctly critical decisions to protect others who Phil had interacted with in ways that would've necessarily hurt them. Phil's reputation is already more than well established amongst his peers and people close to the tour. He's a walking dichotomy and the book goes to great lengths to describe many of Phil's positive traits, as well as plenty of his negative ones. You seem to insinuate that the book is some sort of longer National Inquirer hit piece? I've read it and it's far from it. Entertaining and revealing for sure, but reasonably balanced...considering it was "unauthorized" and unaddressed by Phil and Steve Loy....until Phil proactively made the call to discuss it.

Shipnuck "had the story"way more than appear in the book, instead choosing not to go down the rabbit hole of cheaply embarrassing people who aren't the book's subject. Perhaps you are a Phil fan? I certainly was and to a lesser degree still am. I admire Phil on a few levels and am repulsed on others. That may be difficult for you to comprehend, but complex characters call for a wider perspective.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #219 on: May 07, 2022, 10:45:12 AM »
Mark,

You most certainly "defamed" Shipnuck's integrity. I'm sure that passes most peoples OED test, and to boot, have zero idea who the author really is.

He made distinctly critical decisions to protect others who Phil had interacted with in ways that would've necessarily hurt them. Phil's reputation is already more than well established amongst his peers and people close to the tour. He's a walking dichotomy and the book goes to great lengths to describe many of Phil's positive traits, as well as plenty of his negative ones. You seem to insinuate that the book is some sort of longer National Inquirer hit piece? I've read it and it's far from it. Entertaining and revealing for sure, but reasonably balanced...considering it was "unauthorized" and unaddressed by Phil and Steve Loy....until Phil proactively made the call to discuss it.

Shipnuck "had the story"way more than appear in the book, instead choosing not to go down the rabbit hole of cheaply embarrassing people who aren't the book's subject. Perhaps you are a Phil fan? I certainly was and to a lesser degree still am. I admire Phil on a few levels and am repulsed on others. That may be difficult for you to comprehend, but complex characters call for a wider perspective.

Ask around .. it won't take you long to find out about Shipnuck. 

Steve Lapper

« Reply #220 on: May 07, 2022, 10:59:30 AM »
Mark,

Really? Do you believe what others tell you about different people? Especially in the golf world?

Alan has been a good friend of mine for quite some time.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 11:02:10 AM by Steve Lapper »

Mike Wagner

« Reply #221 on: May 07, 2022, 12:38:50 PM »
Mark,

Really? Do you believe what others tell you about different people? Especially in the golf world?

Alan has been a good friend of mine for quite some time.

Then there's no swaying you one way or another. I'm not saying he's not a good guy, but I have first hand knowledge of things. You don't get to where he's at without ruffling a few feathers. It's all good .. I'm sure he's a good guy, and I honestly don't give a shit.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #222 on: May 07, 2022, 12:43:23 PM »
Steve, I have been a Phil fan for many years. That said, I recognize he can be a big phony and have no problem with him being exposed. What I'm a bigger fan of, though, is journalistic integrity. In my mind, including allusions to those off-the-record stories undermines Alan's believability for the rest of the book. I have not read the book nor do I know (or know anything about) Alan.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #223 on: May 07, 2022, 01:26:32 PM »
   I don’t see how protecting a source or a third party renders what has been published unreliable. Indeed, Phil hasn’t said anything is untrue, has he? He has only claimed (unconvincingly) that what he said was off the record. I have no doubt that Shipnuck’s book has been well sourced.
  On the other hand, if an author chooses not to include something in a book, he shouldn’t salaciously allude to that unreported information. That’s not right.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 01:28:11 PM by Jim_Coleman »

Sean_A

« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2022, 02:36:07 AM »
All this bile. When will folks realize that we are all in bed with Saudis because our governments and corporations lead the way in doing business with the Saudis. The principal is set, its open business with the Saudis. You lot hang around the edges arguing over the degree of duplicity. Phil tries to maximise his profit and people think he's the devil. The hypocrisy of the finger pointing is staggering or perhaps its naivety or even stupidity. The rub of it all is that going after Phil does nothing to solve the issues.

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 09:52:38 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back