News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Attwood

Re: O.T. Phil Mickelson on International Politics and Human Rights
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2022, 06:09:46 AM »
Useful info for those genuinely interested.
https://www.state.gov/reports/2020-country-reports-on-human-rights-practices/

Thank you. I note that they do not do a report on the United States. For that, one could look at https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2021/country-chapters/united-states

Ben Attwood

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2022, 06:21:54 AM »
There's a really interesting discussion to be had on the relationship between sports and politics in golf. However, the press really need to move past extremist soundbites. It would start by just an acknowledgement of the relationship that the USA has with Saudia Arabia, which has been extremely close if one were to look at it from an international security and oil perspective, nevermind the financial aspect.

The media around golf should set the current Saudi league discussions in this context and then people can start to really debate what is healthy or helpful. Sport has often been powerful in politics but pretty exclusively when considering human rights. When the debate is so heavily about money things are always going to be unclear politically.

JESII

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2022, 07:54:50 AM »
John,

If you're wishing the world were simply a better place, fine. But if you're insinuating Phil's actions through this should somehow be obscured, I don't think you've paid attention to them.

He proactively sought to undermine the PGA Tour with a regime that is exactly as he described to Shipnuk. His various rumored transgressions through the years have been largely kept under wraps, this one couldn't possibly be...

archie_struthers

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2022, 07:57:36 AM »
 8)

Shame for Phil that he got involved in this imbroglio. But he's always been outspoken so it's not a surprise. Really comes off badly though in this one as most people have trouble understanding his gripe about the money. He is supposedly worth close to half a billion , yikes !

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2022, 08:25:55 AM »
John,

If you're wishing the world were simply a better place, fine. But if you're insinuating Phil's actions through this should somehow be obscured, I don't think you've paid attention to them.

He proactively sought to undermine the PGA Tour with a regime that is exactly as he described to Shipnuk. His various rumored transgressions through the years have been largely kept under wraps, this one couldn't possibly be...

John,

In general, I see the positives in sports in solving/supporting cross border-cross cultural exchanges. But Jim is spot on. Phil using Saudi Arabia to stick it to the PGA Tour was bad.

My Navy son was about to check into the building at NAS-Pensacola when a Saudi Airman shot and killed his USNA '19 classmate Ensign Josh Watson:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Air_Station_Pensacola_shooting

The Watson Family has been very constructive in their response, and they got put through a lot of "stuff". I don't want to get into cross border politics, but I do feel a personal obligation to keep Josh's memory alive over and above Phil's need to stick it to some PGA Tour people...

I was a fan of Phil, especially his PGA Major win recently, but it was a mistake. Seems like he is correcting it too, so I have no interest in burying him.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2022, 08:40:37 AM »
Seems like he is correcting it too, so I have no interest in burying him.
It does?
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2022, 08:49:03 AM »
Wonder why it took him a week or so to reflect and apologize?

JMEvensky

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2022, 09:18:50 AM »

Maybe his CPA and agent couldn't get in touch with him.

jeffwarne

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2022, 09:22:30 AM »

he was hanging in a dungeon with his new Saudi friends
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2022, 09:49:36 AM »
   Phil may have learned that he can’t shoot someone on 5th Avenue and lose no support. His only apology was to the Saudis. I suspect the PGA views him as an insurrectionist and will deal with him accordingly. Because the PGA doles out punishment privately (see Dustin Johnson), we may not see Phil for a while with only Phil saying why.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2022, 10:00:47 AM »
   Phil may have learned that he can’t shoot someone on 5th Avenue and lose no support. His only apology was to the Saudis. I suspect the PGA views him as an insurrectionist and will deal with him accordingly. Because the PGA doles out punishment privately (see Dustin Johnson), we may not see Phil for a while with only Phil saying why.

He should be shown the door by the PGA. He needs some time away. Make it lifetime. Anyone think Tom Watson has a smile on his face. I’m amazed any of the Americans go there to play. Why is no one mentioning 911? They funded the terrorists.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 11:41:05 AM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tim Martin

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2022, 10:39:40 AM »

Anyone thing Tom Watson has a smile on his face.

Schadenfreude is a dish best served cold!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2022, 11:16:35 AM »
A strange cocktail of union busting and racism is being mixed for your pleasure.

Steve Lang

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2022, 11:32:02 AM »
 8)  in regard to the wise stewards at the PGA, let us not forget the $40,000,000 PIP program in 2021 and Phil's twitter...

I’d like to thank all the crazies (and real supporters too) for………………… Helping me win the PiP!! To get the 2nd half of the money I have to add an event I haven’t played in awhile. See you in Kapalua P.S. I’ll try and find another hot controversial topic soon👍 height=1

9:44 AM · Dec 29, 2021
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 11:34:05 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John Kirk

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2022, 11:47:16 AM »
John,

He proactively sought to undermine the PGA Tour with a regime that is exactly as he described to Shipnuck. His various rumored transgressions through the years have been largely kept under wraps, this one couldn't possibly be...

Hi Jim,

Thanks for responding to my comments.  Mostly I'm mad at myself for taking the bait and offering my opinion at all.  I have no interest in obscuring this or knowing this.  After that, I wrote more explanations for about twenty minutes and then deleted them.

BHoover

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2022, 11:57:02 AM »
Mostly I'm mad at myself for taking the bait and offering my opinion at all.  I have no interest in obscuring this or knowing this.  After that, I wrote more explanations for about twenty minutes and then deleted them.

What bait? I posted that Phil lost his endorsement deal with KPMG. He lost said deal because of foolish and, well, insane comments he made.

At least you didn’t respond with some crazy rant about “cancel culture” or an incorrect interpretation of how the First Amendment actually operates with respect to speech.

JESII

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2022, 12:18:09 PM »
I think he just meant the bait of even entering into a gossip type conversation on here...which is fair and commendable. I find myself more drawn to these anymore, and am not too thrilled by it.

John Kirk

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2022, 12:27:16 PM »
Hi BHoover,

I actually meant the opening post and story was an irresistible topic.  But yeah, mostly this is an inner struggle to not say anything about subjects of this nature.

astavrides

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2022, 12:32:26 PM »
This is a golf course architecture forum, but it is also one of the only online forums that I know of with mostly smart people who have a wide variety of opinions on matters other than GCA. Most online forums are echo chambers or insult fests.
Constructive dialogue is one of the only ways to help solve problems and heal divides.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 12:34:36 PM by astavrides »

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2022, 03:58:41 PM »
Great to see s many "Newbies" on this site.  :)

David Cronan

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2022, 05:07:17 PM »
While most of the golf world seems offended, I imagine Patrick Reed is overjoyed at these developments.

jeffwarne

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2022, 05:30:03 PM »
Doubt Phil is on Norman's Christmas list....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

BHoover

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2022, 05:49:21 PM »
Doubt Phil is on Norman's Christmas list....

The least Greg Norman could do is send the Mickelson family a Christmas card…no doubt featuring a photo of a partially clothed Shark walking his dog on the beach.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2022, 06:07:28 PM »
Hoo boy, KPMG is dropping Phil, effective immediately. That has to put a dent in Phil’s walking-around gambling money.

Wow.  I feel like this is so harsh.  Welcome to punitive world.

In retrospect, I was kind of irritated this thread ever got started.  Mickelson shoots his mouth off a bit, and somebody sees a story.  The irresistible story gets shared on GCA, and some of us (including myself) are compelled to comment.  As hard as I try to say something sensible, I always feel a bit stupid afterwards.  The comments are polite, but it is impossible not to inject opinions about relevant politics and economics.  A few people get irritated by the comments, but this time it didn't escalate further.

I hate being yanked around by the tabloid nature of modern journalism.  The only reason I care whether KPMG dropped Phil Mickelson as a client is that I regret the original story was ever reported.  Can't we have more nice stories, and fewer efforts to exploit human shortcomings?  This is quite a price to pay for being a little cavalier and imprecise with his words.  It's sad that this hit piece strategy works so well.  I'm not biting next time.

Mea culpa.  I started the thread simply by posting a link to a Washington Post article, without comment by me  I was curious whether it would take off and what course it might take.  Now I know.

Mike Schott

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2022, 08:54:52 PM »

He should be shown the door by the PGA. He needs some time away. Make it lifetime. Anyone think Tom Watson has a smile on his face. I’m amazed any of the Americans go there to play. Why is no one mentioning 911? They funded the terrorists.

The same reason the US Government continues to have a strong relationship with Saudi Arabia. Money, strategy and resources.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back