News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: UK GCA Singles Matchplay Comp 2022
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2022, 07:17:46 AM »
Bump, just as a friendly reminder now that we are getting into better weather and longer nights.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2022, 09:51:42 AM »
Another bump. Anyone played their first round match yet ?

Mike W - when are you arriving so that we can get our game organised ?

Niall

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2022, 05:14:15 PM »
Niall - I’m currently in Deal. Arrive in North Berwick on 30th. Good to organize match anytime after that. Call or text 07482162681.

Whit
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2022, 05:58:14 PM »
Niall - I’m currently in Deal. Arrive in North Berwick on 30th. Good to organize match anytime after that. Call or text 07482162681.

Whit

I have $20 on Whitaker!!
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Niall C

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2022, 03:40:05 AM »

Whit

I have $20 on Whitaker!!

Lightweight. I'd put my mortgage on Whitaker !  ;)

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2022, 08:34:08 AM »

Whit

I have $20 on Whitaker!!

Niall

Oh yes. The smiling assassin charms you with that dazzling Southern accent (and LOUD socks) all the while grinding you down so easily you don’t even notice that you’ve just been shafted 10 and 8.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2022, 08:54:32 AM »

Whit
I have $20 on Whitaker!!

Niall

Oh yes. The smiling assassin charms you with that dazzling Southern accent (and LOUD socks) all the while grinding you down so easily you don’t even notice that you’ve just been shafted 10 and 8.
F.
STOP IT!!! I have no chance now!!!!!!!!!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Niall C

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2022, 07:53:17 AM »
Well, Mike and I played our match yesterday on Gullane 1 with Ally McIntosh accompanying us as scorer and architectural adviser ("yes Niall, I think you're in a bunker").

Mike and I decided we would play from the medal tees which might seem foolhardy for a couple of older geezers with various ailments but with the course having plenty of run, and the wind helping at times, it never felt like a slog or that the course was simply too big for us. As always the Gullane turf was a joy to play off and while I think I've seen the greens in better nick they were more than acceptable. The rough was challenging. Not that we lost any balls that I can remember but because of some of the wispy strands of grass in the semi it was often difficult to gauge how the ball would come out. Overall the course was in very good condition.

As for the match itself I managed to race in to a two hole lead with a birdie par start while Mike just lipped out for his birdie at the first. He struck back immediately with birdies at the 3rd and 4th to bring the match back to all square.

While the rest of the match didn't quite live up to that flying start, other than a couple of holes the golf wasn't too shabby with Mike managing another birdie while I managed an eagle courtesy of a chip in at the 12th.

By the time we got to the last hole the match was all square. Three shots later for each of us, Mike was sitting 10 feet from the hole and I was about 4 feet. Mike duly knocked his in for his par (never in doubt) and I then just about managed to do likewise. So end result after all that huffing puffing is that the match was halved and we will play another match at a venue and date to be decided.

Any suggestions and any offers to come and join us welcome.

Niall   

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2022, 08:06:38 AM »
That was great fun, Niall, wasn't it! Our blazing start had Ally wide-eyed I think, until reality kicked in and we returned to our "normal" games. Your eagle chip-in on 12 was a thing of beauty. Without my hot putter at the end (and my handicap advantage  8) )  I wouldn't have lasted until the end and pulled a draw. Your "new" swing is spot on and I think you have a lot of good golf in front of you.

Really looking forward forward to our rematch!!!

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2022, 03:30:58 PM »
Ben Stephens and I eventually got around to meeting up and playing our match at the lovely Stoneham Golf Club, on the outskirts of Southampton. Neither of us had ever been there before, which in my case is a big miss, as I only live 45 minutes away.

Our day at the club was arranged courtesy of the Course Manager, Matt Plested. We arrived 90 minutes early to meet Matt and be shown the beautiful new Stoneham Golf Academy, created between the 1st and 18th holes to a design by James Edwards. It is a tremendous addition to the club, created entirely out of imported inert fill up to 25 metres deep in places, which has raised a narrow valley into an expansive, state-of-the-art practice facility. We didn't have time to use it beforehand, but after our game Ben and I went down there for a good session on the range and short game area. Thanks also to head pro Ian Young and assistant Georgie Mundy, who both made us feel very welcome.

To the golf, played on the warmest day of the year. Both Ben and I played respectably well, without firing on all cylinders. Ben went into a 3up lead on the front nine before I pegged him back to all square as we headed into the back nine. It see-sawed back and forth between Ben being 1 Up and All Square through various mishaps rather than sparkling play. Ben lost a couple of balls and I played the wrong ball, until the short par 3 16th when Ben knocked it to 4 feet and my par wasn't enough to prevent him going 1up with 2 to play.

The 17th was notable for a bizarre incident, the likes of which I have never seen before. I was lying 7 feet from the hole in 3, needing to win the hole to have a chance of taking the match. Ben was through the back of the green, also in 3. Putting from the deep fringe, Ben did a double hit, immediately shouting out that was what he'd done. I called back and said it was no longer a penalty shot. In the meantime, the ball tracked lazily across the green and dropped into the hole for a 4! Ben was mortified and somewhat embarrassed with his luck and graciously conceded my par putt. We double checked on my phone that my understanding of the rules was right and went to the gruelling uphill 18th hole with all to play for.

Ben prevailed 1 Up when he holed a solid 8-foot putt to halve the hole.

Well done Ben! He moves on to play the winner of Sean v Duncan.

2023: Aberdovey, Liphook, Mill Ride (x9), Hillside, Lytham, Delamere Forest, Formby, Birkdale, Carya, Maxx Royal, Cleeve Hill, Sunny (Old & New), West Byfleet, Hoylake, East Berks, RSG, West Sussex, Hollinwell (x2), Alwoodley, JCB (x2), Beau Desert, Painswick (x2), Stranahan, Belfry (Brab & PGA)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2022, 06:37:06 PM »

Ben Stephens

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2022, 04:26:08 AM »
Ben Stephens and I eventually got around to meeting up and playing our match at the lovely Stoneham Golf Club, on the outskirts of Southampton. Neither of us had ever been there before, which in my case is a big miss, as I only live 45 minutes away.

Our day at the club was arranged courtesy of the Course Manager, Matt Plested. We arrived 90 minutes early to meet Matt and be shown the beautiful new Stoneham Golf Academy, created between the 1st and 18th holes to a design by James Edwards. It is a tremendous addition to the club, created entirely out of imported inert fill up to 25 metres deep in places, which has raised a narrow valley into an expansive, state-of-the-art practice facility. We didn't have time to use it beforehand, but after our game Ben and I went down there for a good session on the range and short game area. Thanks also to head pro Ian Young and assistant Georgie Mundy, who both made us feel very welcome.

To the golf, played on the warmest day of the year. Both Ben and I played respectably well, without firing on all cylinders. Ben went into a 3up lead on the front nine before I pegged him back to all square as we headed into the back nine. It see-sawed back and forth between Ben being 1 Up and All Square through various mishaps rather than sparkling play. Ben lost a couple of balls and I played the wrong ball, until the short par 3 16th when Ben knocked it to 4 feet and my par wasn't enough to prevent him going 1up with 2 to play.

The 17th was notable for a bizarre incident, the likes of which I have never seen before. I was lying 7 feet from the hole in 3, needing to win the hole to have a chance of taking the match. Ben was through the back of the green, also in 3. Putting from the deep fringe, Ben did a double hit, immediately shouting out that was what he'd done. I called back and said it was no longer a penalty shot. In the meantime, the ball tracked lazily across the green and dropped into the hole for a 4! Ben was mortified and somewhat embarrassed with his luck and graciously conceded my par putt. We double checked on my phone that my understanding of the rules was right and went to the gruelling uphill 18th hole with all to play for.

Ben prevailed 1 Up when he holed a solid 8-foot putt to halve the hole.

Well done Ben! He moves on to play the winner of Sean v Duncan.

Thank you Robin for the match - I know I was rather lucky to win the match your putting was not firing on all cylinders and playing the wrong ball on hole 12 was really unfortunate. It was rather hot and dry however Stoneham conditioning has come leap and bounds compared with Sean's photos back in the early 2010's its down to their course manager Matt Plested who has done a great job. It did exceed my expectations and is better than some well known courses in Surrey.

Stoneham is not for the faint hearted as lots of holes are up and down as some courses in Southampton are like (having played Romsey Golf Club 5 miles away) which add spice to the layout which was well designed by Willie Park jr.

The 17th Hole is like a mirror image of the 11th at Merion - with the inert fill banking in the background created for the new Academy and range area makes the green stand out more. However will probably not have a moment like I had from the back of the green by double hitting the ball and put my hand up and alerted Robin it was a double hit then realising that the ball was about to go into the hole which was a fluke! So picked Robin's ball up for a half to carry the game on the 18th.

Would definitely recommend Stoneham to fellow GCAers its worth the trip.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2022, 04:27:18 AM »
Whitty - my surname actually ends with a 's'  8)

Look forward to seeing more results coming up on the board as its the middle of June

Niall C

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2022, 06:51:49 PM »
Mike and I played our return match on Gullane 3 today and it's fair to say Mike was in charge throughout being 5 up at one point. I was dormie 4 but managed to extend the match to at least within sight of the clubhouse when Mike closed me out on the 16th.

While not as good a match as the first one, it was a pleasure to meet up with a couple of mates (FBD was official scorer this time round) to play on Gullane 3, the first time I've played it for several years. The course was as firm and brown as you'd want and the greens were as good as I can recall.

It was also the first time playing the new par 3 18th which is a definite improvement on what was there before.

Niall 

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2022, 10:19:32 AM »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2022, 10:32:56 AM »
Mike and I played our return match on Gullane 3 today and it's fair to say Mike was in charge throughout being 5 up at one point. I was dormie 4 but managed to extend the match to at least within sight of the clubhouse when Mike closed me out on the 16th.

While not as good a match as the first one, it was a pleasure to meet up with a couple of mates (FBD was official scorer this time round) to play on Gullane 3, the first time I've played it for several years. The course was as firm and brown as you'd want and the greens were as good as I can recall.

It was also the first time playing the new par 3 18th which is a definite improvement on what was there before.

Niall
Niall - as always, I had a great time with you. I definitely got the upper hand early due to my hot putter, but it was a spirited event the whole way and loads of fun! And, it was a fabulous bonus having FBD along to oversee the match!

G3 was definitely "firm & fast," and with the 15-20 mph winds we experienced it took a great deal of judgement (and luck  ;) ) to get round the course. G3 is such fun and deserves more respect than it gets from the general public. I think too many judge it by its card without giving it go, in favor of more "traditionally" configured courses. I've never felt slighted or short-changed by playing G3... just the opposite.

Looking forward to teeing it up vs James or Ian. Cheers!

Mike

PS - sorry for the missing "S," Ben. I know better!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2022, 02:45:03 AM »

Niall
Niall - as always, I had a great time with you. I definitely got the upper hand early due to my hot putter, but it was a spirited event the whole way and loads of fun! And, it was a fabulous bonus having FBD along to oversee the match!

G3 was definitely "firm & fast," and with the 15-20 mph winds we experienced it took a great deal of judgement (and luck  ;) ) to get round the course. G3 is such fun and deserves more respect than it gets from the general public. I think too many judge it by its card without giving it go, in favor of more "traditionally" configured courses. I've never felt slighted or short-changed by playing G3... just the opposite.

Looking forward to teeing it up vs James or Ian. Cheers!

Mike

PS - sorry for the missing "S," Ben. I know better!

Mike,

Lots of people in England spell my name with 'v' rather than a 'ph'  ::)

Also look forward to playing either Duncan or Sean in the next round.

Cheers
Ben

Mark Pearce

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2022, 11:17:17 AM »
Spangles and I played our match at Kinghorn last Friday, accompanied by Niall Carlton.

The course was in wonderful condition - beige, firm and very fast.  The standard of golf was reasonable, though Tony took advantage of early trouble for me at 2 (my drawn tee shot ending 60 yards down the hill on the left) to take an early lead which he never surrendered.  After he took advantage of the shots he was receiving around the turn, I found myself 4 down.  A back nine fight back culminated in a birdie at 15 bringing it back to one down with three to play but Tony drove the short par 4 16th and his birdie made it 2 up with 2 to play.  The finishing par 3s were, in these conditions, brutal.  My bogey at 17 was enough to take the game down 18 but between the three of us 5 tee shots failed to find the putting surface (I have no idea how, in those conditions, the 18th can be held, and with the short grass and first cut running as they were, I think the best play was to aim for the right side greenside bunkers).  We both found our first efforts in thick rough but Tony did a far better job of extracting his and he took the match two up.

Hopefully others will be getting their games played so that we can get this competition completed this year.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2022, 03:11:28 PM »

Niall C

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2022, 03:19:35 PM »
Yes well done Tony and hard luck to Mark. Kinghorn was as much fun as the first time I played it. Maybe not a great course but great fun to play.

Niall

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2022, 07:03:13 PM »
Yes well done Tony and hard luck to Mark. Kinghorn was as much fun as the first time I played it. Maybe not a great course but great fun to play.

Niall

Great to see you both and what a day we had for it.  More on the course below but it's a brilliant match play venue and even at 4 up, once Mark found his game and made a strong challenge, I never felt comfortable.

What fun!   Kinghorn is hard to recommend to people you don't know well, because its definitely quirky.

Against?.
Yellow tees play at just over 4636 yards.
There are 7 holes "listed" as Par 3's (  ;D ) (But 2 par 4's are over 420, and a third 460 - no par 5's)
I struggle to single out any of the holes as 'great'.

For
Proper links turf
Smallish greens with interesting slopes.
snow mogul fairways
interesting elevation changes and intelligent blind shots.
Not a single hole is a clanger.  Even the 3(?) post war holes were interesting (certainly when the course played f&f like that/).

You'll  have to decide for yourselves if the difficult No 2 and "impossible" No 18, are pluses or minuses.  To me they are the former and next time I play them I'll change at least one of my club selections and see if that helps???  The experience of playing here is far greater than the sum of its parts.

Forget Anstruther etc.  At £25, yes I'll repeat that, £25! standard weekday summer green fee this is the bargain in Fife and one of the best bargains in the whole of the UK&I. It maybe hard to hard to make the case for it being a great course, but equally if you aren't obsessed with conformity, its hard to argue it doesn't provide excellent, exciting golf?  Can't wait to get back.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 02:53:11 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

David Jones

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2022, 10:42:53 AM »
While Mark, Tony and Niall were at Kinghorn last Friday, David McIntosh and I were just a few miles along the road at Burntisland.

It really was a glorious summer's day and the ground was running as fast as the pro who checked us in had ever seen. Morris, Park and Braid have all had their hands in creating the course we see today and, sparing their blushes, they have done a fine job.

We played off the yellow tees and it came in 5,554 yards. It's a parkland course with a pretty good smattering of trees but the ground always runs fast I am told so the ground game is your friend here.

There was a delightful amount of quirk to enjoy all of the way round. The 10th is one of the most bewildering holes I've seen for a long time. The pro had warned us before the round that, given how fast it was running, it would be a mid iron over the pole and then another blind shot with a short iron in. What he didn't warn us about was the wall very tight behind the green, the 'reverse' wall in front and a devilish bunker just in front. Glorious!

Another highlight is the 17th. Optically bizarre from the tee, you are hitting a wedge into a 'really cool/funky suspended punchbowl green' (the words of Clyde Johnson rather than me). It was glorious. A driveable par 4 to finish things off just added to the fun.

I knew nothing about Burntisland before turning up but will be recommending to folk on a Fife trip in the future. £20 to play, smiles on our faces all the way round.

To the vulgar matter of the result...we both turned up for our early tee time a little rushed which didn't make for the highest quality of play out of the traps, as evidenced by our initial tee shots. But things settled down and we had a good game. I was able to close David out with a couple to go but we spent more time yabbering than worrying about the match safe to say! Great company on a cute course on a lovely summer's day - what more could we ask for!

I look forward to playing the winner of Gallant/Reader in the next round. Both players I have lost to in style before.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2022, 07:59:40 AM »
Sounds like a firm fast Summer Burntisland/Kinghorn double would be a great short trip!

I must get to Burntisland.  Anywhere that Rihc was a fan of must be worth a visit.  Next Summer, maybe.....

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2022, 11:48:49 AM »

Niall C

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2022, 09:15:42 AM »
Folks

A gentle reminder. We're a good way through the season and still quite a few matches to be played.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back