GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

More length on the Old Course

(1/7) > >>

James Reader:
It looks like there’s a new 7th tee being built on the Old Course in preparation for the Open.  From what I could see on a quick look yesterday, it’ll add 30-40 yards on a line directly behind the existing tees.  Presumably it’s intended to stop anyone attempting to drive the green by increasing the carry over Shell to over 330 yards.

Anthony Gray:

--- Quote from: James Reader on January 18, 2022, 05:42:28 AM ---It looks like there’s a new 7th tee being built on the Old Course in preparation for the Open.  From what I could see on a quick look yesterday, it’ll add 30-40 yards on a line directly behind the existing tees.  Presumably it’s intended to stop anyone attempting to drive the green by increasing the carry over Shell to over 330 yards.

--- End quote ---

Is the best play hitting it into the bunker?

James Reader:

--- Quote from: Anthony Gray on January 18, 2022, 06:24:30 AM ---
--- Quote from: James Reader on January 18, 2022, 05:42:28 AM ---It looks like there’s a new 7th tee being built on the Old Course in preparation for the Open.  From what I could see on a quick look yesterday, it’ll add 30-40 yards on a line directly behind the existing tees.  Presumably it’s intended to stop anyone attempting to drive the green by increasing the carry over Shell to over 330 yards.

--- End quote ---

Is the best play hitting it into the bunker?

--- End quote ---

Definitely not!  I drove into Shell yesterday.  The face is 6ft+ high and it would be very possible to find yourself having to play out sideways.  As it was, I was a few feet short of the face and just about managed to get onto the front of the green.

Unless you can be sure of carrying it - which is very doable for big hitters from the forward tees with - the play has to be to lay up short.

Kalen Braley:
I fired up Google Earth and it looks like the carry from the back tee is already about 320-325.  So a new tee 30-40 yards back would make that a helluva carry for anyone not named Bryson...

P.S.  How does that 7/11 exchange work on the daily for normal play?  Looks like it could get a bit complicated with the cross-over, players accidentally hitting it on the wrong green, spraying the ball around, windy conditions, etc.

Tim Gallant:
James,

I was told this was for spectators, but maybe that was just a rumour?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version