News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

World Hickory Open Heading To The Highlands!
« on: January 10, 2022, 10:04:56 PM »
The World Hickory Open will be played in the Scottish Highlands this October. Fortrose & Rosemarkie will host a team event and the individual tournament will be played over Royal Dornoch, Nairn & Caslte Stuart.

https://www.worldhickoryopen.com/calendar-events-2022/

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands-islands/3810090/world-hickory-open-coming-to-the-highlands-for-the-first-time/

Anthony Gray

Re: World Hickory Open Heading To The Highlands!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 10:14:05 PM »

How often do theses clubs snap?

Do you need to adjust your swing to play with them?

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 08:34:33 AM »
Anthony -

If you do a search here for "hickory," you will find dozens of past threads about playing with hickory clubs.

DT
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 09:09:44 AM by David_Tepper »

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 11:38:25 AM »

How often do theses clubs snap?

Do you need to adjust your swing to play with them?
In 10 years of hickory play, I've broken 5 shafts. Nearly every time it was because of a bad connection with the hosel or a poorly conditioned shaft. Hickory shafts can be super stout, I believe Bobby Jones irons were frequency measured years later and they were found to be in the X or XX range.
You can not be as aggressive from the top with a hickory club as you can with a modern club. You need to build speed through the swing.

Ken Moum

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 11:54:32 AM »
The other easy way to break a hickory shaft is hitting a range ball, or almost any "distance" ball.

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 12:12:54 PM »
It’s not a good idea to hit hickory shafted clubs from driving range mats.
Atb

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 06:34:57 PM »
Anthony -

If you do a search here for "hickory," you will find dozens of past threads about playing with hickory clubs.

DT

Two simple questions

Aaron Marks

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 08:17:38 PM »
They dont break often, I played close to 30 rounds with them last year and did not break one.
More often (2 times per year?), the clubhead comes "unset". That's when the epoxy that holds the clubhead to the shaft fails, and you notice a small amount of wiggle in the connection between clubhead and shaft.  Unset clubs can be fixed without replacing the shaft.

All that being said, I had to break myself of the habit of using clubs as a crutch (when placing a tee or picking the ball up), and lost a few in the season and a half it took to figure that out...

Hickory golf shortened and shallowed my swing.
Hickories favor balance over speed (immensely  so, in my opinion). Not sure how that changes my swing, but it does change my focus.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 08:33:30 PM by Aaron Marks »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 01:32:50 AM »
They dont break often, I played close to 30 rounds with them last year and did not break one.
More often (2 times per year?), the clubhead comes "unset". That's when the epoxy that holds the clubhead to the shaft fails, and you notice a small amount of wiggle in the connection between clubhead and shaft.  Unset clubs can be fixed without replacing the shaft.

All that being said, I had to break myself of the habit of using clubs as a crutch (when placing a tee or picking the ball up), and lost a few in the season and a half it took to figure that out...

Hickory golf shortened and shallowed my swing.
Hickories favor balance over speed (immensely  so, in my opinion). Not sure how that changes my swing, but it does change my focus.

Thank you Aaron. That’s nearly three rounds a month. Amazing.

Peter Flory

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 02:13:00 AM »
I really would have liked to sign up for this one, but have too much travel already.  What a venue though. 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 03:50:38 AM »
All interested golf history or architecture ought to give hickories a go. Using them ought to be a thought provoking and enlightening experience highlighting why things were done the way they were on courses decades ago ... trajectory, roll, ground game, positioning of hazards, distance, conditioning and a whole bunch more.
No need to splash out loads of cash on 'new' replica's coz there are usually plenty of originals on ebay and most are pretty inexpensive. Give 'em a go.
atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back