News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Santa Monica, CA Recommendations
« on: January 04, 2022, 11:11:28 PM »
No, believe it or not I'm not looking for a way onto LACC or Riviera...

But I am hoping for a little local knowledge. I have a client based in Santa Monica and I might be out there for a visit this winter. They are golfers and it would be great to get out to play some golf with them. What are the best public options within a reasonable drive? It looks like Rustic Canyon is 45 min (with no traffic?) so not sure how convenient that would be? Would want the best, most convenient, option.

Sorry - I'm not super in tune with the public scene in LA/Santa Monica so any guidance would be much appreciated. 
H.P.S.

Anthony Gray

Re: Santa Monica, CA Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 11:21:39 PM »
No, believe it or not I'm not looking for a way onto LACC or Riviera...

But I am hoping for a little local knowledge. I have a client based in Santa Monica and I might be out there for a visit this winter. They are golfers and it would be great to get out to play some golf with them. What are the best public options within a reasonable drive? It looks like Rustic Canyon is 45 min (with no traffic?) so not sure how convenient that would be? Would want the best, most convenient, option.

Sorry - I'm not super in tune with the public scene in LA/Santa Monica so any guidance would be much appreciated.

Rustic Canyon is a joy.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 11:27:49 PM »
Not many attractive public options in that area. If you're willing and able to make the drive to Rustic, do it. Others to consider:
Rancho Park
Olivas Links, Soule Park or Ojai Valley (all farther than Rustic)
Los Verdes or Links at Terranea

My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Blake Conant

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 12:03:57 AM »
Anyone know about the 9 acre parcel of golf south of Pepperdine and PCH near the water? I know Erik Anders Lang tried to play there in one of his United videos but couldn't get much traction.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 12:26:29 AM »
Blake: I believe that was the late Jerry Perenchio's private course, built without permits, that was agreed to become state property after both he and his wife pass away.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 01:21:54 AM »
Rustic Canyon is probably the closest quality course.  Rancho is a 5+ hour round if you get a tee time.  And why not drive 20 minutes further than Balboa/Encino, which are blah at best.  Brookside is closer distance wise, but could be +45 minutes longer drive with traffic.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 01:32:11 AM »
Rustic Canyon is probably the closest quality course.  Rancho is a 5+ hour round if you get a tee time.  And why not drive 20 minutes further than Balboa/Encino, which are blah at best.  Brookside is closer distance wise, but could be +45 minutes longer drive with traffic.

From my recent experiences, Rustic's pace of play is slower than Rancho Park. Rancho has been known to be much better since covid started, for whatever reason.

Blake Conant

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 09:46:08 AM »
Deleted - duplicate post
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 02:05:28 PM by Blake Conant »

Bill Seitz

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 10:38:49 AM »
Without traffic, Angeles National is about 15 minutes closer than Rustic and isn't a terrible option.  Probably still a long drive. 

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 01:48:33 PM »
My suggestion: Have your pro from TCC or WBYC get you on Lakeside or Wilshire....or that place in the Valley where Tiger has a tourney. That will play better with your client vs. pub-access play.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 08:11:25 PM »
Without traffic, Angeles National is about 15 minutes closer than Rustic and isn't a terrible option.  Probably still a long drive.
+1   just about every public course worth playing is an hour drive with traffic from Santa Monica but Rustic and Angeles are worth the drive and greenfee. If your clients aren't great golfers but you want to have a fun day DeBell and Hansen Dam are good publics with inexpensive greenfees located in Pacoima and Burbank and I used to take visiting friends there often. Rancho Park is close but a 6 hour round 7 days a week IF you can get a teetime.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 04:48:12 AM »
It's LA so any public is going to be 5 hours at least and just embrace it. I like Brookside myself and Rancho Park myself for cost and character, unless you want to drive 2 plus hours, which I can't imagine why you would want to do that.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Bill Seitz

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 11:15:20 AM »
It's LA so any public is going to be 5 hours at least and just embrace it. I like Brookside myself and Rancho Park myself for cost and character, unless you want to drive 2 plus hours, which I can't imagine why you would want to do that.

Brookside is a bit of a haul and nearly impossible to get to without going through downtown.  If you're going to spend that much time on the road, it opens up a lot of options.  May as well drive to Santa Anita and see what all of the fuss (which I still kinda don't get) is about.  Course 1 is a great test though, and depending on when Pat's trip is slated for, may be fully recovered from its use as a parking lot for the Rose Bowl.  Fortunately for the golf course, I don't think trickle of fans at UCLA games this year probably did much damage.

V_Halyard

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2022, 11:38:17 AM »
Wilson and Harding are interesting with classic bones and a pile of potential. but slow as F... all of the day.
Wait, everything is slow... but we still go and love it. 530 am is your only hope of not losing an entire day at Rancho.
Rancho  will leave wondering where the city puts all of the cash that place generates and what the place could be if some of that revenue was actually used at Rancho.
Rustic is the best. Not sure if Angeles National is PCC Flavor.
Tommy Nacc will come find you if you don't get to Santa Anita. In fact, he'll come get me if I dont make sure you go play there so don't put that on me.
If you don't arrive at 05:xx am for any of the publics, you're doing it wrong.

I learned golf at Penmar By the Sea in Venice where golfers that look like swimsuit models will hustle the unsuspecting macho man.  At least he goes down smiling. It is also a chic west side "let's go learn to play golf" site so know the show is slow. Ironically, some of the most ruthless skins games go down at Penmar as contractors, execs, dot.com SnapChat, EA Sports, general Hollywood folks from in front and behind the camera, and loopers from Riv, El Cab and Wilshire will gather to play cutthroat skins games with big wads of cash. 3hrs/9 Holes is not uncommon but it is entertaining. Fivesomes. so there's that.

Roosevelt is a nicely appointed 9-hole Muny... again 3hrs for 9 holes plus you will absolutely hit traffic on one if not both of your driving legs.

For grins, when you land, stop at Westchester GC by LAX. Open till 10pm under the lights.  Lots of Par 3's but surprisingly good greens considering they are subjected to 15-17 hours of daily pounding. 5 min from Rental Car exit to Driving Range. Have done that many time after flying in from some snowbound airport.
More actionably useful info coming to you offline.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 05:32:35 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2022, 12:14:21 PM »

Brookside is a bit of a haul and nearly impossible to get to without going through downtown.  If you're going to spend that much time on the road, it opens up a lot of options.  May as well drive to Santa Anita and see what all of the fuss (which I still kinda don't get) is about.  Course 1 is a great test though, and depending on when Pat's trip is slated for, may be fully recovered from its use as a parking lot for the Rose Bowl.  Fortunately for the golf course, I don't think trickle of fans at UCLA games this year probably did much damage.
Ouch Bill, kicking the Bruins on one of their up years now?   ;D    I'm an alum so have a soft spot in my heart for Brookside and heck getting anywhere in LA is a PITA.  If Cascades was still there in Sylmar i'd suggest that as I really liked that cartball on the side of a hill.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

V_Halyard

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2022, 12:16:19 PM »

Ouch Bill, kicking the Bruins on one of their up years now?   ;D    I'm an alum so have a soft spot in my heart for Brookside and heck getting anywhere in LA is a PITA.  If Cascades was still there in Sylmar i'd suggest that as I really liked that cartball on the side of a hill.
Ouch that did cut deep didn't it.  Lol
He didn't even bother commenting about the parking lot.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2022, 12:28:46 PM »

As a West San Gabriel Valley native, my wife will attest to the fact that I'm a die hard Bruins fan that carves out time to watch every Bruin football and basketball game.  Vaughn, I spent the Saturday night of this year's Mashie awake until 1:00 am Central watching them choke away a lead to a Fresno State QB who could barely walk, so I take no pleasure in pointing out that attendance this season was, shall we say, subpar. 

V_Halyard

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2022, 12:45:13 PM »

As a West San Gabriel Valley native, my wife will attest to the fact that I'm a die hard Bruins fan that carves out time to watch every Bruin football and basketball game.  Vaughn, I spent the Saturday night of this year's Mashie awake until 1:00 am Central watching them choke away a lead to a Fresno State QB who could barely walk, so I take no pleasure in pointing out that attendance this season was, shall we say, subpar.

LOL that had to hurt, especially trapped in the middle of Iowa with nary a sympathetic ally within 1700 Miles!  LOL

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2022, 01:50:48 PM »
I remember some "double Fazio" facility in Orange Co with views of Pacific from almost every hole.

Pelican Hill I think.
Leave Santa Monica by 600 am and rip down the 405... ;D

V_Halyard

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2022, 02:39:18 PM »
I remember some "double Fazio" facility in Orange Co with views of Pacific from almost every hole.

Pelican Hill I think.
Leave Santa Monica by 600 am and rip down the 405... ;D

Sadly, 6am from SM to Pelican Hill might get him there by lunch...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2022, 03:11:57 PM »
With all these traffic horror stories, (and mind you i'm no stranger to it as a Bay Area native), its no wonder all the SO Cal celebs and VIPs personal motto is "Get to the Choppa!!".  However, even that probably had a pause after the Kobe accident <RIP>.

P.S.  With all the best golf in LA also being the most convenient, its almost like seeking access is mandatory when going down that way. ;)

David Kelly

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2022, 03:53:21 PM »
If you are limiting it to public courses I would say:
1) Rustic Canyon in Moorpark
2) Los Verdes GC in Palos Verdes
3) Recreation Park in Long Beach

after that I wouldn't say that there are any places conducive to client golf that are less than an hour away, can be played in less than 5 hours and are architecturally interesting.   Brookside is fine but it is a HIKE from Santa Monica and even if you leave SM in the early morning you still have to drive back. There is no reason to go to Angeles National when you can go to Rustic Canyon in a similar amount of time, same with the Ventura and Oxnard courses.  Public golf in Orange County is pretty dire and not cheap.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

David Ober

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2022, 06:06:22 PM »
My suggestion: Have your pro from TCC or WBYC get you on Lakeside or Wilshire....or that place in the Valley where Tiger has a tourney. That will play better with your client vs. pub-access play.

If you can get on either of those courses, do it. I prefer Lakeside, but love Wilshire also.

David Jones

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2022, 06:30:02 PM »
I drove from Santa Monica to Rustic Canyon on a Tuesday morning in early December (around 9am) and it was almost exactly an hour. The round was about 4 3/4.

I absolutely loved the course. It's great fun, ground game opportunities galore and your clients may well find it a real novelty .

It's incredible that a place like that could be created by a world class team and then available for under $50 a round. I really don't understand how the economics work. We read so much about why massive green fees are a necessity in this day and age. Probably a discussion for another thread though...

PCCraig

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2022, 05:26:54 PM »
Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Sounds like Rustic is the way to go.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back