News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Jones

Royal Aberdeen - recent damage to course...
« on: November 01, 2023, 01:07:09 PM »
I just played Royal Aberdeen and loved the course.  However, it was very sad to see the recent waves destroy the coastline about 3-5 yards from some of the tee boxes on the front nine.  The longtime member was very upset seeing the recent damage.  They have built some tee boxes on the other side of the holes, away from the coastline but pretty soon he mentioned that the 1st green will probably have to be moved also.  He mentioned there is nothing they can do about it accept move tee boxes, greens, etc.  I mentioned to my friend playing with me that I am glad we played the course this year, because next year those tee boxes probably will not exist.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Brian Finn

Re: Royal Aberdeen - recent damage to course...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 01:25:54 PM »
That's very sad to hear.  Royal Aberdeen is an outstanding links.  I have really fond memories of playing there on my first trip to Scotland.  Mike Hogan, his friend John, and I played a few rounds before meeting up with a large gca contingent (gathered by the legendary Eric Smith) at North Berwick, ahead of several days in St. Andrews.  Having been before, Mike had a handful of new courses he really wanted to see (Leven, Royal Aberdeen, Cruden Bay) before we joined the larger group.  Royal Aberdeen, particularly the first several holes (the second green!), is a course I still think about fairly often.  I hope the damage is as limited as it can be.
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Kyle Casella

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 01:46:25 PM »
The front nine at Royal Aberdeen is all world! Sadly the erosion is a problem and they are not allowed to shore up the dunes. There is a plan on the table to move several tee boxes on the front nine. The new driving range will overtake the couple holes on the Silverburn course to the south of the clubhouse. Those holes will be re-routed into the rest of the Silverburn. The first green will move to the left into the current driving range, closer to the second tee box. The third tee is not long for the world (they have already lost the back box) and it will be shifted to the opposite side of the second green. They have already built an alternative tee box on four to rear of three green and on the inner dune, which I believe they used in high level events. They also have built a lower complex on nine that is on the seaside dune but closer to the eighth green. There are also a bunch of changes to various green complexes.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 02:05:31 PM »
The front nine at Royal Aberdeen is all world! Sadly the erosion is a problem and they are not allowed to shore up the dunes. There is a plan on the table to move several tee boxes on the front nine. The new driving range will overtake the couple holes on the Silverburn course to the south of the clubhouse. Those holes will be re-routed into the rest of the Silverburn. The first green will move to the left into the current driving range, closer to the second tee box. The third tee is not long for the world (they have already lost the back box) and it will be shifted to the opposite side of the second green. They have already built an alternative tee box on four to rear of three green and on the inner dune, which I believe they used in high level events. They also have built a lower complex on nine that is on the seaside dune but closer to the eighth green. There are also a bunch of changes to various green complexes.

What is the driver behind the changes to the green complexes?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 04:39:21 AM »
I was there in September.  Most, I think, are as a result of the tee re-locations necessitated by erosion.  The usual M&E presentation material is on display in the clubhouse.  That was my first time there, so I don't know the course well enough to comment but the changes all appeared rather anodyne in a very M&E sort of way.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 10:31:55 AM »
I don't understand why they aren't allowed to erect any sort of coastal defense.  I do understand why they're not allowed to do it right at the edge of the sea, but why couldn't they do it say 30 feet inland from there, so that the sea won't just keep coming in one bite at a time?

Kyle Casella

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 03:53:12 PM »
I don't understand why they aren't allowed to erect any sort of coastal defense.  I do understand why they're not allowed to do it right at the edge of the sea, but why couldn't they do it say 30 feet inland from there, so that the sea won't just keep coming in one bite at a time?

I agree. It would be better for the ecosystem if the dunes did not fall into the sea! Plus, there is at least 50-100 feet between the dunes and the edge of the high tide. It makes no sense.

What is the driver behind the changes to the green complexes?

Partially, as Mark said, to make the angles work (particularly at the third). Partially because it's an M&E "master plan," so why just stop at moving a few things around...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back