News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Re: Buda No 20. Woodhall Spa & Seacroft. Dietary and WHI needed Post 153 & 4
« Reply #175 on: September 08, 2022, 06:30:22 PM »
I really enjoy all this give and take in a competition where the trophy for the winning team hasn't been seen for quite a while.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #176 on: September 08, 2022, 09:11:05 PM »
With the falling GBP the trip is getting more affordable on a daily basis. 

Lou_Duran

« Reply #177 on: September 09, 2022, 01:45:58 PM »
Conrad, David, Giles, Tony, and the African Animal, please report to the principal's office immediately.

A preliminary analysis of Team USA's indices suggests more than a bit of vanity entering the self-reporting.  Let's hope that the five ROW late-filers will have similar orientations so that the Visitors can offer some spirited competition.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2022, 02:56:05 PM »
Tony - I don’t mean to appear crass… but, will the Queen’s funeral require a pause or cancellation in the Buda. It seems the service will occur during our event. Won’t the country take a day of national mourning and require everything to close for the day? If yes, won’t the golf courses have to close?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Enno Gerdes

« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2022, 04:48:58 PM »
Mike - if today’s news is accurate, the state funeral is to be held on Monday the 19th. I’d expect the Monday Buda rounds to be cancelled in that case. But we’ll have to wait and see.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2022, 05:59:39 PM »
I'll bring the tissues for Monday.

David McIntosh

« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2022, 06:51:10 PM »
Lou,

I’m 13.5 - hope that’s me off the naughty step now. ;)

John McCarthy

« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2022, 07:09:13 PM »
I'm an American and seeing this come back just puts a smile on my face.  Go at it, lads.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

James Boon

« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2022, 05:03:32 AM »
I really enjoy all this give and take in a competition where the trophy for the winning team hasn't been seen for quite a while.

Jerry,

After several years where the general state of life and the World has been so chaotic (crazy prime ministers and presidents, lockdowns and pandemics and who knows what else going on) when it was therefore deemed safer to keep the trophy in a secret and secure location, rather than risk it being out in the open at such events, I can confirm that the trophy will be making an appearance at this years event (even if I get to Woodhall, realise I've forgotten it again and have to drive all the way home to get it!)

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Giles Payne

« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2022, 06:06:46 AM »
Hi - catching up on the thread - my index is 11.8

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2022, 03:31:21 PM »
Mike - if today’s news is accurate, the state funeral is to be held on Monday the 19th. I’d expect the Monday Buda rounds to be cancelled in that case. But we’ll have to wait and see.

Enno I’d be extremely surprised if any course or clubhouse is open on the 19th. Royal Cinque Ports was completely closed yesterday (9th) and has already announced a complete closure on the day of the funeral.
Cave Nil Vino

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2022, 08:20:06 PM »
All we know for certain is the funeral is on the Monday when we are booked to play Seacroft.

Royal Cinque Ports announced the evening of the day of her death that they would be closed the next  day and on the day of her funeral. This looked like a preplanned move and given the Royal connection was undoubtedly the correct action. Neither of my other two clubs have made any announcement about possible closures.

My contact at Seacroft is away until Tuesday and it may be several days before we know anything.  Will update as soon as I know anything definite but I don't agree with Mark's apparent certainty.

RIP Elizabeth.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 08:29:51 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2022, 07:50:15 AM »
All we know for certain is the funeral is on the Monday when we are booked to play Seacroft.

Royal Cinque Ports announced the evening of the day of her death that they would be closed the next  day and on the day of her funeral. This looked like a preplanned move and given the Royal connection was undoubtedly the correct action. Neither of my other two clubs have made any announcement about possible closures.

My contact at Seacroft is away until Tuesday and it may be several days before we know anything.  Will update as soon as I know anything definite but I don't agree with Mark's apparent certainty.

RIP Elizabeth.
Indeed.  Elie closed the clubhouse on Friday and suggested that members didn't play but there was no dictat.  Northumberland was shut because of weather but would have been open otherwise (indeed, I went there for a committee meeting).  Crail was open.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2022, 09:13:46 AM »
I think most courses will remain OPEN. Royal ones probably not.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Ben Stephens

Re: Buda No 20. Woodhall Spa & Seacroft. Dietary Requirements? Post 152
« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2022, 02:32:09 PM »
Stephens = 4.5

Stephens = now 5.1

Just had an email from my club Rutland Water GC saying that they are closed on 19th Sept. Wouldn't surprise me if there are others that will follow

Michael Whitaker

Re: Buda No 20. Woodhall Spa & Seacroft. Dietary Requirements? Post 152
« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2022, 06:00:37 PM »
Stephens = 4.5

Stephens = now 5.1

Just had an email from my club Rutland Water GC saying that they are closed on 19th Sept. Wouldn't surprise me if there are others that will follow
Gullane GC has also announced the club is closing on the 19th. I doubt any club/course will remain open.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #191 on: September 12, 2022, 05:46:17 AM »
I am wrong. Majority are closing.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #192 on: September 12, 2022, 06:21:33 AM »
Sadly and seemingly inevitably Golf at Seacroft is cancelled and the club and course will be closed on Monday 19th. 

As Woodhall Spa is owned by England Golf Patron The Queen they will also be shut on the Monday.

Everyone will get a full refund. Hopefully I can get enough cash together to hand to overseas visitors this weekend as it saves everyone  a lot of hastle and charges.  UK bank holders let me have your details and I’ll send the money – but please be patient it may take a week or two as I’ll be travelling directly after.

The other shame is that people wont get to play Seacroft. Nick in the pro shop has offered to be has helpful as they can in the situation.  Please contact him direct if you can squeeze in a round there on the Friday prior to Buda – from 3pm or Tuesday after from 11am.

I’m at a loss as to what to suggest as an alternative?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

Re: Buda No 20. Woodhall Spa & Seacroft. Monday cancelled.
« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2022, 06:54:26 AM »
Tony

I think that decision was almost inevitable and thinking further on the conversation we had, I have to say I don't think I'd be playing on the Monday even if the course was open. Consequently I'll be travelling home on the Sunday night. It is a shame after all your hard work but I think it is the right decision when all is said and done.

Niall

Enno Gerdes

« Reply #194 on: September 12, 2022, 07:01:39 AM »
Tony,

Indeed, this was probably inevitable. Too bad, but nothing anyone can do about it. Personally, I'll stay in Woodhall as planned until Monday morning and will make my way back towards the ferry at Harwich on Monday. I've just checked on the websites of a few clubs on the way, but I'm pretty sure everything is closed. For me, that probably means a day of sightseeing in Cambridge (or elsewhere), and a somewhat more relaxed travel day than originally planned.

Enno

John Mayhugh

« Reply #195 on: September 12, 2022, 07:35:05 AM »
Tony,
I seem destined not to visit Seacroft. When I was at Woodhall Spa in 2013, I had to cut my trip short and head back to the US for a work issue, missing Seacroft. Jason Topp and I are at Brancaster on the Friday before Buda, but we are staying in Brancaster that night, so getting up to Skegness on Friday doesn't work. Really disappointed. Will definitely try again sometime.

Thanks for all of your work on this year's Buda. If it makes things easier, any of my fees for Seacroft can just be applied to next year's Buda. No rush to get cash available for me.

mike_malone

« Reply #196 on: September 12, 2022, 11:57:36 AM »
Tony,

Thanks for your efforts. Jack and I can wait for any refund if it is better for you.

If anyone is playing somewhere on Monday think of us to join since we have a game Tuesday and fly out Wednesday.

AKA Mayday

Mark Pearce

Re: Buda No 20. Woodhall Spa. Monday cancelled.
« Reply #197 on: September 12, 2022, 03:50:31 PM »
Again, different clubs doing different things.  At Northumberland, clubhouse is closed all day but the course will be open.  I understand that one Open rota club is closed until 2pm but open after that.  I think getting a game as a visitor anywhere on Monday will be impossible.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #198 on: September 12, 2022, 04:48:56 PM »
If you are all stuck on Monday have any of you ever considered taking a walking tour of the course you were going to play?  Or are all outdoor activities forbidden on the day?

If you are more religiously motivated, and need a good church in which to pay your respects, the Lincoln Cathedral is about half an hour from Woodhall Spa, and it's spectacular.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2022, 09:42:28 AM »
If you are all stuck on Monday have any of you ever considered taking a walking tour of the course you were going to play?  Or are all outdoor activities forbidden on the day?
Many/most of these clubs are on private land, so walking on them when closed might be trespass.  They are also a good drive away and, in the case of Seacroft, where we were due on Monday, an hour in the wrong direction, which is a good trek to walk rather than play.

It appears though, that at least a couple of decent courses may be open to play, with certain hoops to get through.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back