News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

There are 3 slots for 36 holes (in 2 ball format - foursomes or singles) at Brancaster on the Thursday and one slot at Hunstanton on the Friday available if anyone is interested.  Conrad Gamble has the bookings and is currently alone on Thursday, with Giles and me joining on the Friday - let me know if interested.

Tony_Muldoon

NOTE The Golf Hotel had 12 rooms 'reserved' for us and only 3 names Carlton, McIntosh and Sekulic.(NB this does  not apply to The Petwood Hotel)They are now going to release the others - if you are planning to stay there please contact Mrs Patel: URGENTLY.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Buda No 20. Woodhall Spa & Seacroft. Only a month away.
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2022, 06:04:39 AM »
NB

The following catering is included but if you have any specific dietary requirements they must know at least one week in advance.   Please IM me if you have any questions.  They wont be able to make changes on the day.

Sat evening  Sit down meal.

Dinner served at 8pm  tight!  Petwood Hotel.  FOOD only has been paid for. 25 Dining Our guest is Richard Latham

Ham hock terrine with homemade piccalilli

Chicken breast pan fried, served with tomato and chive white wine butter sauce

Syrup sponge pudding - hot pudding with custard

Note for those unfamiliar with the desert, I wouldn't describe it as Carb lite!  a proper pudding :o

Monday l there will be a selection of sandwiches and chips for ALL players at lunchtime.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Buda No 20. Woodhall Spa & Seacroft. The handicap row can be settled now!
« Reply #153 on: September 06, 2022, 08:56:10 AM »
Our Captains Lou and Conrad have been ensconced in a secret bunker in the Swiss Alps for the past two weeks, working out potential pairings.

BUT we need your WHS Indices now.

IM Lou (or post in reply) where you currently stand with this. 

DO IT NOW...............please :) .

If you go back one page to post 126 and click on Lou's name, you have the option of IM or emailing him. Thanks

(any subsequent changes can be agreed on the day)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 12:07:53 PM by Tony_Muldoon »

Niall C

Re: Buda No 20. Woodhall Spa & Seacroft. Dietary Requirements? Post 152
« Reply #154 on: September 06, 2022, 09:41:16 AM »
It's been a few years since I had a handicap. In the interim I've had a rotator cuff issues, a broken wrist and a dodgy knee. Not looking to negotiate a higher handicap but making it clear I’ve no idea about indices and such modern notions. I can tell you that I was a 8 handicapper before I became decrepit.

Niall

Enno Gerdes

« Reply #155 on: September 06, 2022, 10:41:53 AM »
I'm at 13.9 at the moment.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #156 on: September 06, 2022, 05:32:06 PM »
Whitaker = 11.4
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tim Martin

« Reply #157 on: September 06, 2022, 05:57:36 PM »
It's been a few years since I had a handicap. In the interim I've had a rotator cuff issues, a broken wrist and a dodgy knee. Not looking to negotiate a higher handicap but making it clear I’ve no idea about indices and such modern notions. I can tell you that I was a 8 handicapper before I became decrepit.

Niall

You guys on the other team might want to let Niall hold your wallets for safe keeping during the matches. That way he can just take what he’s due upon completion. :)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #158 on: September 06, 2022, 06:09:37 PM »

Niall

You guys on the other team might want to let Niall hold your wallets for safe keeping during the matches. That way he can just take what he’s due upon completion. :)

Well said Tim!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ben Stephens

« Reply #159 on: September 07, 2022, 02:24:09 AM »
Whitaker = 11.4

This made me spit out my coffee the first time I saw this! there may be a post inquiry if Whitty is on fire again  ;) 

Ben Stephens

« Reply #160 on: September 07, 2022, 02:25:06 AM »
Stephens = 4.5

Niall C

« Reply #161 on: September 07, 2022, 07:17:34 AM »

Niall

Given Witty is claiming 11.4 and he recently beat me in the UK matchplay and I was giving him 4 shots, I'm sure no-one will be claiming I'm a sandbagger. They might suggest playing off 8 is vanity on my part but I'd rather have that than being accused of having a falsely high handicap.

Anyway, the discussions on handicaps is always a highlight of BUDA. ;D

Niall

Lou_Duran

« Reply #162 on: September 07, 2022, 01:25:34 PM »

Anyway, the discussions on handicaps is always a highlight of BUDA. ;D

Niall

Hey, we should go easy on Niall.  If he says he's a bad 8, I'm good with that.  By tournament/exhibition time, I should be sporting something in the 14s.

Let's keep the indices coming by IM or email.  Also, please include a good email address so we can communicate privately while travelling.

Thanks!

Ben Stephens

Re: Buda No 20. Woodhall Spa & Seacroft. Dietary and WHI needed Post 153 & 4
« Reply #163 on: September 07, 2022, 02:37:33 PM »
Here is a link to the Slope rating and handicap indexes for the Hotchkin Course

https://www.woodhallspagolf.com/uploads/woodhallspa/File/CourseHandicapTable%20%20-%20Woodhall%20Spa%20Golf%20Club%20(1019508)%20-%20Hotchkin.pdf

Whitty would be 15 hcap and myself 6 meaning a difference of 9??!!! so for matchplay does the 85% rule for handicap difference kick in?

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2022, 03:54:10 AM »

Man, I'm going to miss coming to BUDA, but since you all are religiously handicapping yourselves through the same universal WHS there should be no cause for the continued bun fights about handicaps.   ;D ::) :P

In answer to Ben's question, the R&A and USGA both say match play should be off 100% of handicap.

Strangely the course handicap table Ben linked to does not reflect the complete calculation.  It doesn't include the (Course rating - par) adjustment.  Sadly for Ben that adjustment gives Whitty 1 more stroke.  The following is from the WHS Handicapping Rules adopted by both the USGA and the R&A.

An 18-hole Course Handicap is calculated as follows:

Course Handicap = Handicap Index x (Slope Rating ÷113) + (Course Rating – par)

I only played the Hotchkin course once (in the company of the esteemed Captain Duran) and I don't recall it as so atrociously difficult for the bogey golfer as is suggested by its Slope rating of 152, 151 and 149 from the respective men's tees.  Given the max Slope rating is 155, this course around 150 is amongst the most difficult anywhere in the world for bogey golfers.  Good luck, play well, and it's a good thing you're playing match play.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2022, 04:41:16 AM »
Hi Bryan,

You are a pretty good adjudicator and being Canadian which means you are independent between the Brits and the Yanks!  :)  Maybe a bit too much favouritism towards Whitty  ;D

Sorry to know that you will not be over to Blighty for BUDA this year. Hope to see you sooner than later in future

Cheers
Ben

Niall C

« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2022, 05:42:57 AM »

The following is from the WHS Handicapping Rules adopted by both the USGA and the R&A.

An 18-hole Course Handicap is calculated as follows:

Course Handicap = Handicap Index x (Slope Rating ÷113) + (Course Rating – par)

Thanks Bryan

As my application to join the LIV Tour is currently pending, can I just say I'm a 12 ?

Niall

Ben Stephens

« Reply #167 on: September 08, 2022, 05:47:16 AM »
Niall,

If you say that you are a 8 and taking into account the Course Handicap Index - it would be 11 (12 if you are high 8 and low 9)

Cheers
Ben

Niall C

« Reply #168 on: September 08, 2022, 05:55:23 AM »
Ben

Lou has played with me often enough to jump at my handicap of 8 as he knows very well it is a gift to the opposition !

Niall

Ben Stephens

« Reply #169 on: September 08, 2022, 06:21:25 AM »
Ben

Lou has played with me often enough to jump at my handicap of 8 as he knows very well it is a gift to the opposition !

Niall

Niall if you haven't played Woodhall before you need to take as many shots as you can!

Jason Topp

« Reply #170 on: September 08, 2022, 11:22:54 AM »
10.1 index

James Boon

« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 03:04:17 PM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #172 on: September 08, 2022, 01:44:07 PM »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #173 on: September 08, 2022, 01:48:08 PM »
Guys - As a former board member of the SC Golf Association, I’m fairly familiar with the means by which a Course Rating & Slope Rating is created. Im truly shocked at the ratings on the Woodhall Spa courses! 95% of these ratings comes distance, not other factors (at least in the US), so it makes me wonder why these courses have such high numbers. Are there numerous forced carries that the average golfer can’t manage? The “Slope” is a result of the difference between the Course Rating (for scratch golfers) and the Bogie Rating (for the average golfers). The greater the difference in these two numbers, the greater the “Slope”. Help me understand why these courses have such a high slope.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #174 on: September 08, 2022, 05:25:27 PM »

https://www.woodhallspagolf.com/uploads/woodhallspa/File/CourseHandicapTable%20-%20Woodhall%20Spa%20Golf%20Club%20(1019508)%20-%20Bracken.pdf

Imagine playing against someone with a WHI of 54.  They might have a 3 or even 4 shot start on a Par 3!

Glad to see the new unified system hasn't killed "the conversation". ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back