News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Hey Lou.

Saw your post lamenting the shortage of players.  Well, in the words of my late, great friend Steve Goddard, "I don't care if you don't want me, I'm yours."  Well, for three rounds at least.

And Welcome Steve

To sort the teams out I thought this year we could name the Match, Rascals vs Scoundrels and let people choose to play for whichever team they feel most comfortable in?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Lou_Duran

Hey Lou.

Saw your post lamenting the shortage of players.  Well, in the words of my late, great friend Steve Goddard, "I don't care if you don't want me, I'm yours."  Well, for three rounds at least.

Lament, that's what I do.

I'm still waiting by the phone just in case I get called up by Commissioner Norman.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 01:27:12 PM by Lou_Duran »

Niall C

To sort the teams out I thought this year we could name the Match, Rascals vs Scoundrels and let people choose to play for whichever team they feel most comfortable in?

Who would want to be part of either of those teams ! Can I suggest instead that we have a Vanity-cappers v. Sandbaggers match. If we're going to have an argument on handicaps like we always do then we're as well making it interesting  ;D

Niall

Lou_Duran

Niall,

No arguments from me, only lamentations.  I will stipulate at the outset that no matter what my index is on the first day of the Buda, I won't be able to play to it.  So, I am good with joining the the Rascals or the Vain, though strategically, I should want to be in the same team with Giles and James B so I don't have to face them.

Tony_Muldoon

Who would want to be part of either of those teams ! Can I suggest instead that we have a Vanity-cappers v. Sandbaggers match. If we're going to have an argument on handicaps like we always do then we're as well making it interesting  ;D

Niall

Where can I get a bet on that match?

Jason Topp

The funny thing about that match is that if people self selected, the sandbaggers would be on the vanity team and the vanity handicaps might choose the opposite.

Tony_Muldoon

Welcome Ben but sadly Frank can't join us.

Last chance to join, will be closing this years entry  at the weekend.

Mark Pearce

Do I read post 3 as suggesting that there are 3 slots open on the Bracken on the Sunday morning?

Tony_Muldoon

Do I read post 3 as suggesting that there are 3 slots open on the Bracken on the Sunday morning?

Yes Mark.  In fact there are (likely) 4 spare. 

If you three want to take them up then just say and you're in.
One more anyone?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 05:26:13 PM by Tony_Muldoon »

Ben Stephens

Niall,

No arguments from me, only lamentations.  I will stipulate at the outset that no matter what my index is on the first day of the Buda, I won't be able to play to it.  So, I am good with joining the the Rascals or the Vain, though strategically, I should want to be in the same team with Giles and James B so I don't have to face them.

Lou,

I think Boony would be more than happy to be in the same team as you  ;)

Cheers
Ben

Mark Pearce

Yes Mark.  In fact there are (likely) 4 spare. 

If you three want to take them up then just say and you're in.
One more anyone?
I suspect that will be the case.  Let me liaise with Giles and Conrad but pencil us in.

Duncan Cheslett

It is with a very heavy heart that I must withdraw from this year's BUDA.

The (hypothetically) very profitable six-week full kitchen refurbishment project which I was due to start this week suddenly cancelled on me last Tuesday, leaving me without any work or income until my next job is due to commence in October. The wind was completely taken out of my sails.

A golf packed late summer now lies in tatters as I must tighten my belt several notches. My apologies to Tony and all concerned.

On a brighter note, in the spooky way that life plays tricks on us I am embarking on a complete late life career change. On Wednesday I spotted a Facebook post from a friend who has taken over the management of our local municipal golf course. He's short of staff in all areas of the operation. On a whim I sent him a message to which he responded in minutes.

Long story short I start work in mid August as a full time employee of the local council at a golf course redesigned after the Great War by Dr MacKenzie.  It is my first proper job after 42 years of somewhat precarious self-employment. I will be trained up as a greenkeeper as well as having duties in the pro shop and on the driving range. I'm rather excited!

Sadly however, the drop in income and the long gap before my first pay packet necessitate cutting back on all extraneous expenditure over the next few months, and among other things BUDA must be sacrificed. 

I hope everyone has a great time.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 11:02:07 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Niall C

Duncan

Sorry to hear you can't make it but delighted for you in your new role. Hope to hear more about it soon.

Niall

Duncan Cheslett

Duncan

Sorry to hear you can't make it but delighted for you in your new role. Hope to hear more about it soon.

Niall

Thanks mate!

You will! It’s actually a really interesting course with many original MacKenzie features of the kind that most private clubs have eliminated in the name of “progress.”

I will be taking copious pics over the coming weeks and will post a tour.

I get free golf and range balls as part of my package so I expect to see my handicap tumble… 😉

Tony_Muldoon

Sad to hear that Duncan, I've had to withdraw in the past because of outside commitments and it puts a spear through what has become the centrepiece of my golf year, so I know how bad it feels.

Hope to see you and 'the other half' at next years event.

Haven't heard from Vaughan so it looks like an easier to manage group of (max) 24 players.  Will secure bookings this week.

Thanks to all for getting the money to me, particularly those form overseas. Despite all we read about the connected world, its amazing how difficult the international banking system remains in 2022!

Robin_Hiseman

Would that be Royal Altrincham by any chance?

It is with a very heavy heart that I must withdraw from this year's BUDA.

The (hypothetically) very profitable six-week full kitchen refurbishment project which I was due to start this week suddenly cancelled on me last Tuesday, leaving me without any work or income until my next job is due to commence in October. The wind was completely taken out of my sails.

A golf packed late summer now lies in tatters as I must tighten my belt several notches. My apologies to Tony and all concerned.

On a brighter note, in the spooky way that life plays tricks on us I am embarking on a complete late life career change. On Wednesday I spotted a Facebook post from a friend who has taken over the management of our local municipal golf course. He's short of staff in all areas of the operation. On a whim I sent him a message to which he responded in minutes.

Long story short I start work in mid August as a full time employee of the local council at a golf course redesigned after the Great War by Dr MacKenzie.  It is my first proper job after 42 years of somewhat precarious self-employment. I will be trained up as a greenkeeper as well as having duties in the pro shop and on the driving range. I'm rather excited!

Sadly however, the drop in income and the long gap before my first pay packet necessitate cutting back on all extraneous expenditure over the next few months, and among other things BUDA must be sacrificed. 

I hope everyone has a great time.
2023: Aberdovey, Liphook, Mill Ride (x9), Hillside, Lytham, Delamere Forest, Formby, Birkdale, Carya, Maxx Royal, Cleeve Hill, Sunny (Old & New), West Byfleet, Hoylake, East Berks, RSG, West Sussex, Hollinwell (x2), Alwoodley, JCB (x2), Beau Desert, Painswick (x2), Stranahan, Belfry (Brab & PGA)

Jay Mickle

Re: Buda No 20. Woodhall Spa and Seacroft. BALANCE NOW DUE See post 3.
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2022, 09:42:31 AM »
Tony,
So many issues preventing me from attending yet again. I will be vacating 3 nights at Petwood (16-18)I would like a BUDA participant to have first crack. Any one interested should contact me so as to arrange for transfer or cancellation and rebooking.
Hopefully next year.
Jay

Still available but I will cancel soon if no one wants the room.

@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Jay Mickle

Re: Buda No 20. Woodhall Spa and Seacroft. BALANCE NOW DUE See post 3.
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2022, 07:25:28 AM »
Tony,
So many issues preventing me from attending yet again. I will be vacating 3 nights at Petwood (16-18)I would like a BUDA participant to have first crack. Any one interested should contact me so as to arrange for transfer or cancellation and rebooking.
Hopefully next year.
Jay

Room released back to Petwood.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Niall C

Is anyone else beginning to get excited yet ?

Niall

Doug Wright

Niall

Actually, yes, in particular because this is my maiden BUDA appearance. To begin the inevitable excuse-making, and to inform whichever team captain I am assigned to, I'll be renting clubs due to the logistics of spending several days in London beforehand and to avoid the baggage chaos that seems pretty terrible this summer. 
Twitter: @Deneuchre

mike_malone

Am I excited?

I arranged most of these courses in 2020!!!

We lost Birkdale but added Swinley and Hollinwell.
AKA Mayday

Mark Pearce

We lost Birkdale but added Swinley and Hollinwell.
A huge upgrade in my book.

Enno Gerdes

Niall

Very excited, Neill! Both for Buda and the pre-Buda rounds at Mildenhall and Brancaster!

John Mayhugh

I haven't left the US since 2019, so yes there is a fair bit of excitement.
Enno mentioned pre-Buda rounds at Mildenhall and Brancaster. Jason Topp and I are playing at Mildenhall around 13:30 on 15 Sept and Brancaster at 8:30 & 13:100 on the 16th. Anyone else at those courses around the same time frame - let's try to connect.

Enno Gerdes

I haven't left the US since 2019, so yes there is a fair bit of excitement.
Enno mentioned pre-Buda rounds at Mildenhall and Brancaster. Jason Topp and I are playing at Mildenhall around 13:30 on 15 Sept and Brancaster at 8:30 & 13:100 on the 16th. Anyone else at those courses around the same time frame - let's try to connect.

John,
I'll play Mildenhall in the morning and in the afternoon on the 15th, and Brancaster with 3 other Buda participants on the 16th. We're on the tee sheet 10 minutes ahead of you, both in the morning and the afternoon. Happy to meet up at Mildenhall for lunch and the afternoon round!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back