News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Wilson

OT-Driving in France
« on: December 16, 2022, 01:53:28 PM »
And now for the reason I visited today.  Calling on the experience and knowledge of the well traveled members of the Treehouse, what kind of driver's license is required in France to rent a car.  Is an international license required or can I get by with my good old American one?
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

John Mayhugh

Re: OT-Driving in France
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 02:09:53 PM »
Your US drivers license is fine. No need for anything else. Same for Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Italy, etc.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 03:43:14 PM »
Thank you, John.  If I get stopped by the gendarmerie I'll reference you.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 03:49:34 PM »
Just don't drive around the Arc de Triomphe. With all the different lanes and people changing lanes, it took me five minutes to get out.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 03:54:33 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 03:57:59 PM »
Renting a car in France is "super easy" as the kids say today...;-)

My wife and I were in Bordeaux in June and rented a car.

Be careful, however, as the French have perfected the art of the remote radar speed trap.
Parking, too, was something to pay attention to as automated tickets seemed to appear everywhere...;-)

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 04:32:19 PM »
I have driven thousands and thousands of miles in France and I love it. The roads (except in Paris) are of wonderful quality and they are empty). Driving on the other side of the road is a shock at first, but you get used to it very quickly. I don't like driving a manual on the wrong side of the car, because I am left handed, so shifting gear with my right hand is a pain, but in my own car, it isn't a problem at all.

Just don't get stopped by 'les flics'. Once I was driving from Calais to my cousin's place in Burgundy, as I have done maybe twenty times. I'd been driving four and a half hours and was within twenty minutes of my destination. Was on a country road, but an excellent one, with next to no traffic, and was going fast. I came round a corner at 120 kph easy (90kph is the official limit on single carriageway roads). A tiny village, perhaps ten houses, hoved into view, so I braked, but I was still doing 90kph easily when I crossed in the 50kph zone, and I was doing 76 when I was speed gunned.

A lady cop with a sub machine gun used her weapon to indicate I should pull over. I did, and we started going through the (very long, this is France) form that was needed for a speeding offence. My French was better than her English, so we used that. We were doing fine, until she asked me 'Qui vous a donner votre license?' I knew what she had said -- 'who gave you your license? ' -- but I couldn't make sense of it, I thought she was taking the mickey out of me -- 'Who gave you your license, boy?' Then suddenly I had a blinding flash of light. I knew, from conversations I'd had before, that car registration in France was handled at the departmental level, perhaps driver licensing was too. 'Le gouvernment d'Angleterre', the English government, I said. Right answer. 'Ah, le gouvernment d'Angleterre', she said, filling in part 27 of the 53 line form.

By this point, we were getting on so well that I felt brave enough to bandy words with her, and asked her if driver licensing was a regional function in France, because in the UK it was a national one. She said yes, and relieved me of 90 euros, at the time the spot fine for speeding. If I hadn't had the money, she could have compelled me to go to an ATM and withdraw it; if I couldn't or wouldn't, she had the power to impound my car.

Moral: don't mess with lady French cops, and carry cash.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 04:43:19 PM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tal Oz

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2022, 05:14:04 PM »
I don't have as great of a story as Adam's, but here's my getting pulled over by French police story from this summer.

I guess to answer your initial question, just my American drivers license was enough.

I spent a few days in Paris this summer before flying down to Nice for a wedding. Rented a car at the Nice airport and no more than 10 mins from departing the airport I got pulled over on the main boulevard along the sea. They have these really short intersections with traffic lights that have next to no 'yellow' time. I was bumping Daft Punk and within that split second of not looking at the lights it had turned yellow and I made the incorrect decision to not slam on my brakes and instead roll through the light. A few moments later I get pulled over and with my roughly 10 words in French vocabulary manage to get out of a ticket. Of course the cop managed to throw a few jabs in English - something along the lines of do you not know the difference between green and red? I drove like a scared person the rest of the trip.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2022, 10:02:00 PM »
Enjoy your Manual Renault Cleo and sitting in 2hrs of Paris traffic… leave extra time on way back to the airport. It’s a mess more often then not.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2022, 09:10:59 AM »
"Enjoy your Manual Renault Cleo and sitting in 2hrs of Paris traffic… leave extra time on way back to the airport. It’s a mess more often then not."
[/size][/color]
[/size]As much fun as this sounds, Jaeger, I won't be driving in Paris, alas.  I'm confining myself to Normandy and perhaps a day trip into Brittany.  [/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back