News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

astavrides

Re: Mike Keiser to buy World Woods?
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2022, 07:42:45 AM »
Cabot Citrus Farms is a bit of an odd name given that there isn't much, if any, citrus grown within 45 minutes of the site.

Maybe they'll plant some along the entry drive?

Is it more odd than Cabot Pacific being 6 hours from the Pacific Ocean?

Or any odder than saying Youngstown, Ohio is in the Midwest despite being only 400 miles away from the Atlantic Ocean, and over 2500 miles to the Pacific Ocean.  ;)
Kalen,

Anyone in PA will tell you that Pittsburgh is also in the Midwest.   Heck if my house was 15 miles west of here crossing the Route 81 delineation point I'd be in the Midwest!   ;D

grew up in Pittsburgh, and never heard it being referred to as in the Midwest. PA is Mid-Atlantic.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2022, 08:26:41 AM »

grew up in Pittsburgh, and never heard it being referred to as in the Midwest. PA is Mid-Atlantic.

I grew up just south of Pittsburgh and I don’t know what to call it. It doesn’t seem like Midwest or North or Atlantic.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jeff Schley

« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2022, 01:50:45 AM »
Good post Steve. More insights:
"The purchase price for World Woods wasn’t disclosed. Cabot officials also acquired two other facilities from the same ownership group that are already part of a golf community in an adjoining town: the 27 holes at Sugarmill Woods Country Club designed by Ron Garl and the Hale Irwin-designed Southern Woods. Both Citrus County clubs are less than 10 minutes away from World Woods – soon to be Cabot Citrus Farms — though Cabot’s plans for those properties have yet to be finalized."

Well no idea of purchase price, but 2 other facilities are now in the fold with WW. Never heard of either so not sure the value or what synergy they are planning, but clearly there is a plan which is "make no little plans".

So with the 36 at WW along with a planned par 3 course, putting course, 27 at Sugarmill and 18 at SW, they have quite the portfolio in one location via this purchase.

Also not sure if the author is a shareholder, but some pretty grandiouse claims here:"Golf remains central to the Cabot brand, which aspires to future growth and a global presence not unlike the Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts."
Comparing the future presence to the Four Seasons, is no little plan.
"Fazio’s Pine Barrens, that has been ranked among the top 100 public courses in the country and a style that’s been compared to Pine Valley in New Jersey, widely considered the world’s No. 1 golf course. The facility’s conditioning had declined in recent years, however, before being put up for sale by its Japanese ownership group"

If all it takes is conditioning to become Pine Valley there is hope for hundreds of other courses. :D
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Adam Clayman

« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2022, 03:19:37 PM »

I think it will be interesting to see if they follow Streamsong with the new Mach 1 greens?

Joel, Thanks for the 411.

I suspect Mach 1 won't make the cut.  Brooksville is actually in a separate growing region than Streamsong. There's a grey tint to what I assume is the Mach 1, when the temps drop and it starts dormancy.  It doesn't effect play at all, but aesthetic sensitivities need to be considered.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 12:00:26 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2022, 07:19:19 PM »
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/cabot-citrus-farms-architects-new-plans

https://beyondthecontour.com/new-firms-get-their-shot-at-cabot-citrus-farms/
News broke today on the architect’s selection for each golf course. According to Golf Digest‘s Derek Duncan, Kyle Franz will take over Pine Barrens, Keith Rhebb & Riley Johns will tackle Rolling Oaks, and Mike Nuzzo will take on the third property. To our ears, the work sounds extensive, as originally reported on our Instagram, Pine Barrens and Rolling Oaks will likely look a lot different.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 07:21:09 PM by Wayne_Kozun »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2022, 08:16:36 PM »
I found the quote that this is “a nice breath of fresh air from the usual Doak and Coore & Crenshaw announcement” kind of ironic, since Drew’s examples of the three firms’ work were gushing about the projects where they had worked for us!

However, it’s nice to see that my scouting report for Ben on the various candidates had an impact.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2022, 08:33:55 PM »
I found the quote that this is “a nice breath of fresh air from the usual Doak and Coore & Crenshaw announcement” kind of ironic, since Drew’s examples of the three firms’ work were gushing about the projects where they had worked for us!

However, it’s nice to see that my scouting report for Ben on the various candidates had an impact.

I am guessing that Mr. Dye could have offered a version of both paragraphs should gca.com have existed at the time, but probably would not have chosen to do so. But it is just a guess.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2022, 09:06:12 PM »
I think it's unfortunate that they're going to significantly alter both Pine Barrens and Rolling Oaks. I'd prefer to see both more or less "restored", but I especially think Pine Barrens should be mostly left alone. It seems strange to make major changes to a very good course designed by a living architect when that architect is not the one making the changes.

Of course we don't know the extent of the changes right now, but moving tees and greens is enough to create essentially a new hole.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 09:10:38 PM by Edward Glidewell »

Drew Harvie

« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2022, 10:35:19 PM »

Anyone who knows me knows I love both your work and Bill's, and I am a big cheerleader for the work you both have completed. But at a certain point, I start wanting to see a new vision for the overall health of the industry and just a fresh perspective. No different than when you started getting your breaks after working for Dye, or Hanse started getting jobs after working for you. I think it's good for the industry IMO
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 10:37:18 PM by Drew Harvie »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2022, 11:18:58 PM »

Anyone who knows me knows I love both your work and Bill's, and I am a big cheerleader for the work you both have completed. But at a certain point, I start wanting to see a new vision for the overall health of the industry and just a fresh perspective. No different than when you started getting your breaks after working for Dye, or Hanse started getting jobs after working for you. I think it's good for the industry IMO

Drew:

I understand that, and I’m happy for other guys to have a shot, which was one reason I passed on this project.  I’m just not quite ready to be put out to pasture yet.  I’ve only built 40 courses so far in my career.  Would you have hoped the industry moved on from Mackenzie or Ross after they’d done 40 designs?  Bill Coore is 15 years older than I am, so I think I’m entitled to a few more years, if there are clients who want to hire me.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2022, 03:33:29 PM »
Always interesting to see how threads get hijacked here.

Congrats to Mike, Kyle, Keith and Riley.
I'm very pleased with the teams Ben has selected and I'm thrilled he's included me to help. I'm fairly certain Ben received a lot of input from many different sources before he made his choices.

Hopefully future threads can focus on the designers selected and their visions for the work to be performed at Cabot Citrus Farms.

Steven Blake

« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2022, 10:14:57 AM »
Congrats to Mike Nuzzo and Don Mahaffey! Also congratulations to Kyle, Keith and Riley what a great combination of talent. Can’t wait to see the product.

Steven Blake

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2022, 07:48:38 AM »
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/cabot-citrus-farms-architects-new-plans

https://beyondthecontour.com/new-firms-get-their-shot-at-cabot-citrus-farms/
News broke today on the architect’s selection for each golf course. According to Golf Digest‘s Derek Duncan, Kyle Franz will take over Pine Barrens, Keith Rhebb & Riley Johns will tackle Rolling Oaks, and Mike Nuzzo will take on the third property. To our ears, the work sounds extensive, as originally reported on our Instagram, Pine Barrens and Rolling Oaks will likely look a lot different.

Wow. That is a really bold move. Congrats to Mike Nuzzo and the others. Always loved my day trips to Pine Barrens in the Disney era days.  I will hope that The Dixie Cup does an outing/championship at the new resort.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Steve Lang

« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2022, 01:00:50 PM »
 8) So Ben, with theses choices out of the way, just wondering where is Cabot SW going to be?  I can't believe you're not thinking about it for the future... ::)

Congrats to Mike & Don!  Safe travels over there on I-10, since I know you're into the ground game!!

I don't know the other guys but sounds like an interesting group has been assembled for the project.  We're looking forward to seeing these proposed Dixie Cup venues being presented!

[size=78%]  [/size]
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jay Revell

« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2022, 05:25:02 PM »
Hey friends,

I wanted to share a story I did about World Woods and the coming transformation into Cabot Citrus Farms. The piece was published by the Golfer's Journal over the weekend and I think it offers some interesting background on the property. I believe everyone will enjoy reading about the journey World Woods has been on. It certainly made me appreciate what has been there and what's to come! Living only a few hours away, I'm excited for a bright future at Cabot Citrus Farms and the great designers that will soon start working there. Kudos to Ben and his team for a visionary project that will be a great addition to Florida's golf offerings.

See link below( if you aren't a subscriber, just make a quick guest profile to view)

https://www.golfersjournal.com/editorial/back-to-the-future%ef%bf%bc/

Lou_Duran

« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2022, 08:24:18 PM »
Thanks for the article Jay.  It sounds like you had a meaningful experience at WW with Rick Kelso.

I've played both courses at WW twice and would have been happy if the deferred maintenance was taken care of and the property cleaned up.  It fit a nice niche of outstanding, affordable golf, and there seems to be enough $$$$$ destination golf already.

I am sure that with proper resources, the architects for the three parts will create an outstanding resort.  Let's hope that the timing is better than in the 1990s.  Any idea on the re-opening?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2022, 08:24:33 PM »
Thank you for sharing this link, Jay. We are fortunate to have a writer of your calibre among our murder of crows, and I look forward to reading this piece.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2022, 09:02:27 PM »
The piece was published by the Golfer's Journal over the weekend and I think it offers some interesting background on the property. I believe everyone will enjoy reading about the journey World Woods has been on.

Jay,

That was a really great piece on WW. Back in the Disney and Mountain Lake days, I did a few one day trips but never played Rolling Oaks - mainly because I was such a fan of Pine Barrens. Loved the "clubhouse" and goofy logo for what it was. Played the short course one time in a backed up frost delay.

The new resort sounds equally interesting and I like the positioning of "three up and comers" as architects. Again great writing and the pics were very fun too. Thanks
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Jay Revell

« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2022, 01:46:41 PM »

Thanks Lou! They are set to close WW at end of May and reopen as Cabot Citrus Farms in 18 months. Looking forward to what comes next!

Thanks for the article Jay.  It sounds like you had a meaningful experience at WW with Rick Kelso.

I've played both courses at WW twice and would have been happy if the deferred maintenance was taken care of and the property cleaned up.  It fit a nice niche of outstanding, affordable golf, and there seems to be enough $$$$$ destination golf already.

I am sure that with proper resources, the architects for the three parts will create an outstanding resort.  Let's hope that the timing is better than in the 1990s.  Any idea on the re-opening?

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2022, 08:55:48 PM »
Jay,
Very nice story. I’m glad you got to know Rick, he’s a great leader at WW. (Soon to be CCF)

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2022, 11:09:22 PM »
Well written Jay.
Rick is a hero.

Peace
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

jeffwarne

« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2022, 07:47:23 AM »
Fantastic article Jay.
"great golf without the pomp and circumstance"
So true, and the reason my staff and I always made it an annual outing when attending the PGA Show.
More often than not, we never made it to "The Show", extending our stay  Brooksville to play The Dunes, El Diablo and/or Brooksville CC, and being unable to overspend our budget at the bowling alley/Holiday Inn in Brooksville, or the fishing lodge in Homosassa Springs.

Whie I completely understand the motivation for buying(and selling) the property, I'm going to miss the Old World Woods.
It was all we ever needed,(great golf,friendly smiles, cold beer,sandwiches) in a really rustic environment, actual low key, at a bare bones price.
It was easy to return every single year.

But more importantly....
"without all the pomp and circumstance" which sadly, the upscale fee payer has come to expect and resort owners feel compelled to provide-no matter how well they do it.Which costs $ and somebody has to foot the bill.
Harder(for me) to return to every, single year.

But it will no doubt be an outstanding facility/end result for most with a great site/property and a great team involved.
Congrats to Cabot Development,
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 09:17:11 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2022, 10:58:18 AM »
Jeff, excellent post.

What do you figure is the over/under on the increase for green fees in prime time slots?  $150...$200?

Daryl David

« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2022, 06:26:04 PM »
Some price points that might be an indication of where they could land.

For resort guests:

Streamsong $249 US
Cabot Links  $245 US

That said, in 18 months when Citrus Farms opens, it could be a different market.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back