News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Huh?
« on: December 15, 2021, 02:57:01 PM »
What?

Dan Delaney 🐮

Re: Huh?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 03:10:00 PM »
Well played, Sir.
I needed a good laugh. Thx

Paul Jones

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 03:20:24 PM »
Huh said What?
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 03:21:06 PM »
As usual, quintessentially obtuse . . . . Indiana weather must be bad today. 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 03:24:12 PM »
As usual, quintessentially obtuse . . . . Indiana weather must be bad today.
Gib, actually quite obvious and surprisingly on the nose by JK's standards, see the Festivus  thread

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 05:22:48 PM »
When you can identify any "standards," feel free to elucidate!

Aside from the usual rapier pith, usually intended to hit bone - but with a remarkable economy of words, I must admit.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 06:53:56 PM »
I'm honored that the royal ass court jester of the house of Kavanaugh would take a shot at my contribution to the contemporaneous Grievances thread.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 07:01:35 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 10:35:43 AM »
It’s not always about you. I know when I first read Peter’s hit piece I thought it was about me. That was a clever trick on his part.

I enjoy attempting to control misdirected anger. From that honk that wasn’t at you to the car full of hungry sad sacs that can’t see the menu in a drive through.

Sadly so many posters on this site want anger removed from golf. No lost balls, simplistic full recovery options and quick play though personal choice.

We all lose when our anger doesn’t surface in our recreational lives and bubbles through personally and professionally.

So much anger and so much fun. Let’s keep that balance that has made golf the great distraction it has always been. 

John Kirk

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 03:22:21 PM »
That's a really good post.

No lost balls, with recovery options ranging from relatively easy to very difficult, and quick play through personal choice only when conditions dictate.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2021, 05:36:49 PM »
That's a really good post.

No lost balls, with recovery options ranging from relatively easy to very difficult, and quick play through personal choice only when conditions dictate.

Thanks, how about telling us a story about how anger has played a role in your golfing life and we can kill this thread.

John Kirk

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2021, 09:02:59 PM »
OK, I've got one story that dwarfs all the others:

When I was younger, I was even more self-centered than I am now.  I didn't get to play as much golf back then, just 20 or so rounds a year.  I finally got married when I was 33, and was still in my honeymoon phase with golf.  So when we got married, I took the opportunity to play several rounds during my honeymoon in Kauai.  This was before my wife started playing the game.  She eventually learned to play and became a good golfer, a 15-20 handicapper who could play to her handicap in competition.  She can really putt when it matters.

For most of the rounds, I would go out and play an early morning round while she relaxed or went to the spa.  But for one round, she came out and joined me while I played the Prince Course, a Robert Trent Jones, Jr. design.  The course eventually developed a reputation for difficulty.  It is routed through a tropical jungle on a hillside with deep ravines.  The course had beautiful reddish sand and a unique appearance.  There were some brutally narrow and difficult holes, but overall it was beautiful and fun to play.

The NFL Pro Bowl was playing in Hawaii that week, and I was paired that day with a couple of Washington Redskins.  Looking at Wikipedia to refresh my memory, it must have been Earnest Byner and Hall of Famer Darrell Green.  I was playing pretty well that day, and was maybe three or four over on the front nine.  The 10th hole is quite unique, a 575 yard par 5 shaped like a fish hook.  There was a deep ravine on the left side of the fairway, and it was a long three shot hole if you played around the hook.  But a good drive down the left side created the opportunity for a second shot at the green across the ravine.  Still using the beloved Orlimar Diamond fairway woods, I nailed 3-wood down the left side off the tee, leaving about 220 yards to the green, and requiring about a 200 yard carry.  I chose 5-wood for my second shot, and mishit it badly into the ravine.  In anger, I slammed my club into the ground, and it snapped in half.  Although it may not be literally true, imagine wife with head down, hand on forehead.  My wife adds that one of our playing partners said at the time, "Oh, that's too bad.  You were using that club a lot.", which lifted her spirits dramatically.  I then grabbed the next best option, and slightly mishit my 3 wood fourth shot, but miraculously it was enough to carry and landed on the green about 30 feet away.  I made the putt for a 6.

I will say that Messrs. Byner and Green were gracious throughout the round, busy having a good time without our assistance or interference.  My wife was so embarrassed, and I am mostly embarrassed that I did not devote more time to my wife on our honeymoon.  The broken club is now a happy memory.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 12:21:25 AM by John Kirk »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2021, 10:04:19 AM »
This one's about me.

You may be able to control your anger, but not everyone can. I'm dealing with a viral Tik Tok video about nationwide violence in schools. I don't have time for encouraging anger.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2021, 10:21:15 AM »
This one's about me.

You may be able to control your anger, but not everyone can. I'm dealing with a viral Tik Tok video about nationwide violence in schools. I don't have time for encouraging anger.

I'm not able to control my anger. It needs to be released and where that may be is still my choice.

I choose to release it on the golf course if not on the drive over and back. Just drove 2000 miles in three days and only hit my horn once. It was a carefully choreographed response to a honk from an elderly woman driving a Porsche SUV with 19 inch rims.

astavrides

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2021, 07:21:13 PM »
I then grabbed the next best option, and slightly mishit my 3 wood fourth shot, but miraculously it was enough to carry and landed on the green about 30 feet away.  I made the putt for a 6.

too embarrassed by the self-sabotage of your 5 wd to sign for a 5, i assume. ;-)

John Kirk

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2021, 08:16:16 PM »
I then grabbed the next best option, and slightly mishit my 3 wood fourth shot, but miraculously it was enough to carry and landed on the green about 30 feet away.  I made the putt for a 6.

Oh yeah, I guess that is a 5.  Those details are fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure I made the putt for an up and down.  Good call!

Getting a little loopier as I get older.

too embarrassed by the self-sabotage of your 5 wd to sign for a 5, i assume. ;-)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back