News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Fine

Re: Quirk should be found not created
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2021, 05:42:47 PM »
Richard,
We all have our opinions and it is fun to debate.  You don’t want to call anything that is unique but is manufactured quirky. That is your call just like I don’t like to call anything in GCA “unfair”.  So be it.

What might be another interesting debate would be a thread titled:

“Bunkers should be found and not created.”  So many architects try to build bunkers like those found on the original links courses.  Makes no sense to do that does it especially in locations where there never would be a natural bunker  :D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 06:53:18 PM by Mark_Fine »

Anthony Gray

Re: Quirk should be found not created
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2021, 06:18:14 PM »
Bogey,

The question I would ask is if the road behind Spyglass #4 was there first or not.  Yet even if it was, the hole could have been shortened to avoid that "immovable object."  Yet it probably wouldn't have been as cool. 

Regarding seventeen at Pebble Beach, let me add this paragraph from my chapter of the book (and really tick some of you guys off):

The Principle of Gimmick takes over when certain shapes are so extreme one must literally putt off the green in order to access another part of the green.  An icon such as seventeen at Pebble Beach struggles to maintain its Quirk for this reason.  Originally much larger (and wider at the pinch point), it was built to take advantage of the ocean setting on three sides.  But as the pinch in the middle has shrunken over the years, golfers are forced to putt through the fringe in some cases placing it on the brink of Gimmick. 

17 at PB definitely needs resorted. At times the best play is to chip on that green but it violates etiquette so you just accept the three putt and move on to the next hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back