News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Epic/great/cool etc but really evil wee par-3’s on 9-hole courses
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2021, 05:32:18 AM »
Nominations below - Dai’s Thread Appeal Committee has met and some nominations have been disqualified and one* has been included as it’s the only nominee for a first hole. If you disagree with the DTAC position it’s tough, start your own thread!! :)
Some questions ..

A) Would you like to regularly play a course made up of these holes?
B) Could your shoot 27 with any regularity on such a course?
C) If you reckon such a course would be too easy/boring would playing it with say a 20% rolled-back golf ball change your perception and your scoring?
Atb

1 - Shorty's at Bandon*
2 - Abernethy
3 - Knighton, Hay Harbor
4 - Valliere, Megunticook
5 - Killin, Covesea
6 - Anstruther
7 - Portmahomack, St Olaf, Gairloch
8 - B&B/Channel, Strathtay, Treetops
9 - Durness, St Olaf, Bann, Strathtay, Covesea, Marion

* replacing Traigh

« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 03:52:56 AM by Thomas Dai »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2021, 11:00:17 PM »
You needed a 1st hole? How about 1 at Shorty's at Bandon with its devil's you know what bunker.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2021, 11:18:21 PM »
Nominations below - Dai’s Thread Appeal Committee has met and some nominations have been disqualified and one* has been included as it’s the only nominee for a first hole. If you disagree with the DTAC position it’s tough, start your own thread!! :)
Some questions ..

C) If you reckon such a course would be too easy/boring would playing it with say a 20% rolled-back golf ball change your perception and your scoring?
Atb

1 - Traigh*
2 - Abernethy
3 - Knighton, Hay Harbor
5 - Killin, Covesea
6 - Anstruther

You could add the opener at The Players Stranahan. It's an extremely intimidating opening hole, but a heir flick.

I don't think I would play this course o a regular basis. It feels a bit like crazy golf. Besides, the par 4 is the soul of the game.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 01:34:10 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Anthony Gray

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2021, 11:21:00 PM »
 -

Thomas Dai

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2021, 03:51:21 AM »
Some questions ..
Atb
1 - Traigh* Later edit - Traigh out, Shorty's at Bandon in
2 - Abernethy
3 - Knighton, Hay Harbor
5 - Killin, Covesea
6 - Anstruther
You could add the opener at The Players Stranahan. It's an extremely intimidating opening hole, but a heir flick.
I don't think I would play this course o a regular basis. It feels a bit like crazy golf. Besides, the par 4 is the soul of the game.
Ciao
I'd thought of Adrian's 1st hole at the Stranahan but cool hole the hole per the DTAC** position it doesn't count.
As to par-4's being the soul of the game - are they? ... when I play one that I can't physically reach in 2 shots I tend to think of them more as the 'R-soul' of the game! - , how about if played as per question C) or an even greater % r-b?
atb

* Traigh out, Shorty's at Bandon now in.
** now self-renamed as the DTDA&AC, the additional DA standing for Devils Advocate. :)

James Boon

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2021, 05:47:07 AM »
A shame you've kicked Traigh out as it is both wee and evil, but actually it plays quite a bit longer than the rest of these as its uphill!

I would be happy to play this course on a regular basis as long as it wasnt my only golf! I think where these holes benefit over the more typical par 3 course, is there is quite a sense of jeopardy to holes of this length... You expect to be able to make 2 on a regular basis, as most of us would hope to be able to hit a wedge close every now and then, but if you miss the green a 5 isnt far away! Therefore I suspect I would struggle to shoot 27 on a regular basis at first, but regular golf on course like this would certainly sharpen up the short game, so after a while I'd hope to be able to!

A "rolled back" ball would actually detract as far as I'm concerned. The fun here is a mix of shots using the lob wedge and wedge, perhaps even a flick with a 9 iron occasionally, all of which is good fun. If they all played as a series of 7 to 9 irons that wouldnt be as fun.

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back