News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

PGA of America exploring potential sale of Valhalla Golf Club
« on: November 25, 2021, 11:48:56 AM »
Kent Taylor of WAVE 3 in Louisville reports that the PGA of America is exploring a sale of Valhalla Golf Club. In a letter sent to Valhalla members and posted with the story, the PGA says it has interest from a potential buyer. The letter says any deal is contingent on the organization retaining ownership through May, 2024 when the Jack Nicklaus-designed course will host its fourth PGA Championship.
The PGA initially purchased 25% of the club in 1993, another 25% after the 1996 PGA and the remaining interest after the 2000 PGA.

https://www.wave3.com/2021/11/18/pga-america-exploring-potential-sale-valhalla-golf-club/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 12:09:23 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom_Doak

Re: PGA of America exploring potential sale of Valhalla Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 12:02:48 PM »
I hope the potential buyers are not the guys who called me about building a golf course in Kentucky!

Probably not though  :D

John Emerson

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 10:15:42 PM »
I hope the potential buyers are not the guys who called me about building a golf course in Kentucky!

Probably not though  :D

Idk there is a lot of horse and bourbon money there! :). Can you disclose “roughly” where you were asked to build? 
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Rob Marshall

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 11:12:49 PM »
Would Valhalla have ever gotten a major if the PGA didn’t own it? I’ve never seen it but a friend played it this year and told me it was nothing special.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

John Emerson

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 12:03:25 AM »
Would Valhalla have ever gotten a major if the PGA didn’t own it? I’ve never seen it but a friend played it this year and told me it was nothing special.
It was built for the sole purpose of hosting a major.  There are “natural” amphitheater settings all over the golf course.  Is it special, like say a winged foot or Augusta, no.  Is it perfect to host golf tournaments with tons of spectators?  It is perfect in every way.  All the infrastructure that goes unnoticed behind the scenes in a tournament setup was installed from the beginning and can be readied on short notice.  ie: TV compounds, bus drop offs and turn-arounds, designated areas for grandstands, and hospitality tents etc.  It’s all there and well designed for volumes of people.

When I was there I remember many of the members wishing it was just a regular sleepy little golf club.  Maybe their wish is coming true…?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 09:41:37 AM »
I was once subjected to some abuse by an employee of the club who posted here because I was not effusive with my praise of the course.  Personally, I liked Valhalla a lot and thought it was a good PGA venue, but it did not make my "great" list.  The gentleman thought it was Top 10 U.S.  I admired his loyalty.

There was a rumor going around here recently that the PGA was considering a permanent venue for the Ryder Cup and that the two "finalists" were Valhalla and the Hanse Course at the new PGA facility in Frisco.  One of the guys present noted that a new course would never be considered as a RC venue (apparently he didn't remember Kiawah-Ocean which was selected even before it was completed).  I have my doubts that this was under serious consideration given that the current method of spreading it around appears to be extremely successful, but the prospect of having total control in an ideal, centrally located facility built to hold this type of event has some merit

John Mayhugh

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 05:59:05 PM »

The PGA purchased 25% of Valhalla the year AFTER Valhalla first hosted the PGA Championship. So you have your sequencing off.

I’m not a huge fan of the golf course, but surely posting negative opinions based on what a friend thought isn’t very useful. They do a great job as a tournament host even if not to my architectural tastes.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 06:20:27 PM »
John, I can’t have an opinion on it since I’ve never played it or seen it. That’s why I asked the question. My friend simply said something very similar to what you just said. Hence my question. I apologize if somehow my question offended you.

Maybe this is wrong:

“In 1992, Valhalla was selected to host the PGA Championship in the year 1996, one of golf's four majors . The following year (1993), the PGA of America purchased a 25% interest in the club. After the championship in 1996, the PGA of America raised its stake to 50% and announced that the event would return to Valhalla in 2000 . At its conclusion, the PGA of America exercised an option to purchase the remaining interest in the club.”
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 06:29:18 PM by Rob Marshall »

Pat Burke

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 12:02:49 AM »
I was able to play the first PGA at Valhalla.  It was a special week.  My older brother played, qualifying as a club professional. Our dad had passed the year before and our families being there made it an amazing week.

Valhalla to me was a great tournament course for professionals. It had a great vibe the whole week, and incredible energy from the crowd.  The course and presentation were very good. It was a great event to be a part of.  Now architecturally, there are many places I’d prefer to play, but Valhalla, like Torrey Pines might not be a great architecture study, but provides the space and length to host professionals and be a great stage for a tournament. Might not be what we would all be looking for, but it does present a solid venue to play big events

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 09:25:04 AM »
Rob,
You didn't offend me. I have no affiliation with Valhalla at all. I just don't think secondhand criticism from anonymous sources does much to advance the discussion of golf course architecture.

Thanks for the clearing up the timing. My point still stands - the PGA decided to stage their event at Valhalla prior to having any ownership of the course. Their growth in ownership could have been why they decided to host more events there. Or perhaps the success of the events compelled them to want to own the club.

I live in Louisville. It's not a very well run city, but thanks to the KY Derby, the area is well-suited to handling a lot of out of town guests and I think has made it a good host for the PGA's events. I don't think they came for the architecture, though that has helped produce compelling professional events.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 10:49:09 AM »
Rob,
You didn't offend me. I have no affiliation with Valhalla at all. I just don't think secondhand criticism from anonymous sources does much to advance the discussion of golf course architecture.

Thanks for the clearing up the timing. My point still stands - the PGA decided to stage their event at Valhalla prior to having any ownership of the course. Their growth in ownership could have been why they decided to host more events there. Or perhaps the success of the events compelled them to want to own the club.

I live in Louisville. It's not a very well run city, but thanks to the KY Derby, the area is well-suited to handling a lot of out of town guests and I think has made it a good host for the PGA's events. I don't think they came for the architecture, though that has helped produce compelling professional events.

John, having an opinion that a course is "nothing special" is IMO not a criticism. He just didn't think it was a great course as you yourself implied. As for anonymous, the comment was made by a friend of mine who for a short time played on the hooters. I can PM you his name if you would like.

Valhalla was awarded the PGA in 1992. In 1993 they bought 25%. I would hazard to guess it was all part of one deal. Just speculation.

I also get how you feel about the course. Living in Rochester I have the same feeling for Oak Hill even though I'm not a member. It's done a lot for our community hosting various events. I've been able to attend a Ryder Cup, US Am, 2-Senior PGA's, US Open, and soon to be a 3rd PGA all without leaving home.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 11:24:23 AM by Rob Marshall »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2021, 10:52:31 AM »

Pat,
That is a great story. I can't imagine that there have been too many brothers play in the same major. That's more than impressive. It's a shame that your father didn't see it but I'm sure he was there in spirit and if I remember correctly he was PGA member as well. Thanks for your perspective of the course.

John Emerson,
Thanks for your description as well.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 11:25:19 AM by Rob Marshall »

John Emerson

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2021, 12:13:22 PM »
John, I can’t have an opinion on it since I’ve never played it or seen it. That’s why I asked the question. My friend simply said something very similar to what you just said. Hence my question. I apologize if somehow my question offended you.

Maybe this is wrong:

“In 1992, Valhalla was selected to host the PGA Championship in the year 1996, one of golf's four majors . The following year (1993), the PGA of America purchased a 25% interest in the club. After the championship in 1996, the PGA of America raised its stake to 50% and announced that the event would return to Valhalla in 2000 . At its conclusion, the PGA of America exercised an option to purchase the remaining interest in the club.”

I am not offended in any way.  Valhalla is not a special golf course.  Hell it’s not even the best course in the city.  But, it is perfect for hosting golf tournaments as far as logistics and planning go.  It has everything(infrastructure wise) in place for the  making of a enjoyable event for the people who spend money.  That’s basically it. 

Rob Marshall

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2021, 12:17:29 PM »

Maybe this is wrong:

I am not offended in any way.  Valhalla is not a special golf course.  Hell it’s not even the best course in the city.  But, it is perfect for hosting golf tournaments as far as logistics and planning go.  It has everything(infrastructure wise) in place for the  making of a enjoyable event for the people who spend money.  That’s basically it.

I was posting that to a different John. Sorry for the confusion.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2021, 01:07:00 PM »
I'm looking at courses over the last 30 years that have hosted multiple majors.

Has any course fallen out of favor more than Valhalla?  Congressional or perhaps Atlanta Athletic Club?

John Emerson

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2021, 06:01:06 PM »
I'm looking at courses over the last 30 years that have hosted multiple majors.

Has any course fallen out of favor more than Valhalla?  Congressional or perhaps Atlanta Athletic Club?

Valhalla has hosted like 7 or 8 championships since 96.  That’s including senior tour also.  That is quite a bit of championship tournament golf.  I’m not sure that “fell out of favor” works here when you see that basically every 4-5 years a tournament is being hosted.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2021, 06:25:14 PM »
I would not assume Valhalla has fallen out of favor with the PGA of America.  They are in need of PGA venues that work in Mid-May going forward. It’s a smaller field of candidates than you may think.

They also have a track record of backing out of real estate investments.

Dunedin
PGA National - JDM - BallenIsles
PGA National
Port St Lucie has reduced in scale

This is probably mostly about investing time and money in venues that can more likely benefit more PGA members and not a property that is a private club at its core.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back