News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Re: Courses you played for the first time in 2021 with your Doak Scale score
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2021, 08:01:25 AM »
We only played a few new ones, but it still was a great year.

Ballyneal (2x)—Pure enjoyment from tee to putting out. Mix of short and long, bend left and tight, green sites that seemed to find the most natural locations with some up and some down. We didn’t mind the foursomes in front of us holding us up because they gave us an opportunity to chip and putt on the wildly contoured greens. My only mild criticism is that the two Par 3s on the front were not as strong as the rest of the course. 9

Mulligan—If one thinks that the “big” course has wild greens, try the Par 3 course. A few are over the top though. It actually is a tough course because the tee shots on several holes require a carry. 5 by itself but a must play when at Ballyneal.

Friar’s Head—The brilliance of weaving the potato field holes and the dunes holes has been mentioned here often. I think that other than number 10, the Par 3s do not get enough credit. Number 4 is a strategic gem that fools the eye, and finding the site for 17 made it a surprise treat. Number 1 is the only hole on the course that left me unimpressed. 9

Somerset Hills—Maybe the most varied, interesting greens I have ever played. An extremely strong set of Par 3s. The routing maximizes the use of the elevation changes. The course calls for every type of shot. SH reminded me of PH2. 9 trending to a 10.

Ridgewood (Center and East)—Playing it right after FH and SH probably skews my opinion a bit. Some terrific holes and a bunch of strong ones. Difficult to read greens in a good way. I cannot automatically replay the course in my head which is indicator for me of the strength of the routing. 7

Southern Pines—I commented on another thread that I scratched my head after playing. Some terrific individual holes and very interesting greens. Quite dramatic vistas. But other than number 7, the Par 3s felt the same as did the approach shots to several elevated greens. The course did not tie together as a coherent narrative. 6

Ira

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2021, 08:07:13 AM »
Ira, Was Southern Pines mid-restoration? Having a six as the third course in your resort is pretty heady stuff. Would different angles have helped the par three holes?

rm
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ira Fishman

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2021, 08:13:06 AM »
Ira, Was Southern Pines mid-restoration? Having a six as the third course in your resort is pretty heady stuff. Would different angles have helped the par three holes?

rm

We played it about 6 weeks after it reopened completely so it may actually get better as it matures. Yes to your question about the Par 3s.

MP/PN/SP not Bandon but it is awfully darn good.

Ira

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2021, 08:27:32 AM »
Thank you, Ira. I appreciate the answers.

I'll not list the names of the courses, but I'll give you some numbers. Here is a link to the scale, in case you've not seen it in print or online (https://golfcoursegurus.com/rankings/doakscale.php) The reason that I had such a good year, as a reminder, was Kevin Lynch's belated 50th birthday celebration. If you are truly interested in knowing which courses rate at which number, DM me here and I'll spill the beans.

8.5-The place where I made birdie on three of the final five to steal the only money match I've played in decades, making my partner-host happy and breaking two other hearts.

6.5-My surprise of the year, a previously-unknown course where my eyes went berserk.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

MCirba

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2021, 09:17:16 AM »
Mike Cirba,

I know of one new course you played this year.  Saw your name on the pad at the green fee drop box!

Really curious as to your views on your new courses this year.

Adam,

The cool part about the dropbox is that may have been any of 4 different first time courses I played this year!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2021, 09:19:50 AM »
May River - 6
The Country Club - 8
Round Hill - 6
Old Stanwich - 5
LACC North - 9
Chechessee - 7

Old Sandwich or Stanwich?

The Witch in Greenwich.
Stanwich I guess.
Nice club, but course was just a beefed up Fazio

Tim Martin

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2021, 09:41:21 AM »
May River - 6
The Country Club - 8
Round Hill - 6
Old Stanwich - 5
LACC North - 9
Chechessee - 7

Old Sandwich or Stanwich?

The Witch in Greenwich.
Stanwich I guess.
Nice club, but course was just a beefed up Fazio

I thought that it was Stanwich as I agree on your score and think Old Sandwich would come in higher. Crazy fast greens have always been the marching orders at Stanwich.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2021, 09:46:20 AM »
This was a strange golf year for me.  I moved to Florida from the NYC metro area at the end of October 2020 and retired at the end of January 2021. I played more than 100 different courses (more courses and rounds than I've ever played in any prior year) of which 30 were new to me. I played dozens of inexpensive publics located in and between Orlando and Tampa, most of which are DS 2's and 3's.

The only real new (to me) highlights of the year were Tobacco Road on my initial drive down to Florida and Ridgewood CC on a visit to NJ. Both probably DS 7's, but I like TR more. 2022 should be a better year with a long awaited trip to Aberdeen and the Highlands.

If I can format it, I'll attach a list of the 30 new courses played  (including one that will open next year that I only walked.

The remainder of my top ten of the year were courses I've played numerous times before, including my primary courses in FL and NJ

Whippoorwill
Sleepy Hollow
Forsgate Banks
Rivervale
Southern Dunes
Streamsong Red
Streamsong Black
Streamsong Blue

First Time Played:

DS
Mangrove BaySt Pete FL
11-Nov
The Claw @ USFTampaFL
6-Nov
Legends @ ClermontClermontFL
4-Nov
Stonegate @ Solavita - CypressKissimmeeFL
6-May
Hawks LandingOrlandoFL
12-Apr
Orange Lake - ReserveOrlandoFL
1-Apr
Schalamar CreekLakelandFL
31-Mar
Cleveland HeightsLakelandFL
8-Mar
River GreenAvon ParkFL
4-Mar
Big CypressLakelandFL
15-Feb
Grenlefe SouthHaines CityFL
13-Feb
Oaks NationalKissimmeeFL
12-Feb
Stonegate @ Solavita - OaksKissimmeeFL
21-Jan
SandpiperLakelandFL
18-Jan
Mystic Dunes CelebrationFL
7-Jan
CypresswoodWinter HavenFL
9-Dec
Lake Wales CCLake WalesFL
20-Dec
Highlands ReserveDavenportFL
13-Dec
WillowbrookWinter HavenFL
11-Nov
White HeronDavenportFL
3-Nov
Sunset ValleyPompton PlainsNJ
15-Jul
Hendricks FieldBellevilleNJ
11-Aug
Ridgewood East &WestParamusNJ
25-Aug
Swan LakeSwan LakeNY
2-Aug
Resorts CatskillsKiamesha LakeNY
3-Aug
Vails Grove 9BrewsterNY
5-Aug
PehquenaconckNorth SalemNY
5-Aug
Bay MeadowsQueensburyNY
13-Aug
Sycamore CCRavenaNY
16-Aug
Tobacco RoadSanfordNC
31-Oct

Courses scored 3.1 are 3's that I would be happy to return to

Stuart,

I have Mystic Dunes and Tobacco Road as equals. What about TR did you like so much more?

MCirba

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2021, 10:09:31 AM »
Really enjoying all the responses, thanks!

Would suggest that a sentence or two summary substantiating a rating would add to the value but that's just me.

Also understand Kevin Reilly and others taking a more purist view of the scale with no .5 half points but having been a prior offender who found value in those distinctions I'll be using them again so apologies in advance.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 10:32:45 AM by MCirba »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2021, 10:14:02 AM »
An interesting year with no overseas trips till September.

Courses I saw for first time
St. Patrick's-(2 plays)  9 (amazing course and views-only thing keeping it from a 10 are a few difficult walks,but that's the price of some views) I prefer it to many courses rated ahead of it after its remarkable debut at 55 in world.
Southern Pines (2 plays)          7 (pretty raw condition but plenty of fun tee shots and interesting greens)
Tree Farm                  ? great site and great work so far
Renovation at Narin and Portnoo(have played it many times before)-this made me sad-I'm hoping I was just not observing very well that day.

Courses i saw again-having a 22 year old son who recently caught the golf bug led me to return to some amazing GCA rated places I don't normally seek out(having been fortunate enough to play them already several times)
Goat Hill-many times 5
Southampton 6.5
Palmetto 7
Aiken GC 6
Augusta CC  5 (hopefully they get the ship turned around on yet another renovation in May-there's a 7  in there somewhere)
Fisher's Island  9
Friar's Head(2x) 7
NGLA(2x) 9
Maidstone 8
Shinnecock 8
Cradle-3-(mats and 60 yard shots)
Portsalon 7.5 (just have a soft spot there)
Northwest Golf Club 6.5
Dunfanaghy 5
Cruit 5
Rosapenna OTM 6.5
Rosapenna Sandy Links 6.5 (I have never rated it this high but it is so improved and has many great holes-potential to be a 7 plus)
Huntington CC 6.5
Engineers  7
Old Oaks 6-much improved
Bethpage Red 6
Fresh Meadow 5.5
North Hills 3.5
Rolling Hills 4
Rockaway Hunt Club 6
The Hamlet 1
Cold Spring 5
Wolf Point 8
Memorial Park 6.5
Midland Country Club 3
Pine Ridge 4
Shennecossett 6
Islands End 3.5
Forest Hills Augusta 4(formerly a 6)
Nice list Jeff, I didn't realize you retired to play golf.  ;)
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mark_Fine

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2021, 10:20:13 AM »
Mike,
It was a light year for travel for me due to Covid.  Most of my projects were local (good thing) but my International travel was shut down as was most other.  I still got to see quite a few different courses and here are a few thoughts on several of them. 

Congaree and Secession in SC are good examples of courses of similar style (links like) but showcase very differently due to architect and site.  Colleton River’s Nicklaus and Dye courses in SC are must plays if in the area. The Dye is underrated, it is really special.  Harbour Town has been discussed a lot and most know I love the design.  While links courses are my favorite, I love this course as it is in many ways the exact opposite.  The similarity however is that both styles demand creative thought provoking golf shots. Long Cove is one of Pete’s best and has only gotten better since the recent bunker work.  Merion, Winged Foot West and Baltusrol Lower are just stunning but honestly is that a surprise to anyone.   A few dollars were spent.  Hollywood in NJ surprised me.  If you haven’t play it, you are missing something really special.  Old Town was even better then I knew/expected it would be. Tobacco Road is wonderful and the most unique of the Strantz courses I have seen. Southern Pines as it ages might emerge at the top compared to Mid Pines and Pine Needles but all offer great golf.  You will see aspects of Pine Valley here but that is expected given the sites.  It will be interesting to see how the locals feel about the new SP greens fee. Maintenance will be a challenge.  Pinehurst #4 is now a new course that blends more harmoniously with its famous neighbor.  #2 is #2!  It is so unique primarily due to those diabolical “evolved” greens.  I am a huge fan but I have to say we talk a lot on this site about leaving things alone.  Anyone here still think those greens were left alone :).  Bedford Springs is a wonderful stop in the middle of PA on one’s way between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.  Might be one of Forse’s best renovations.  It is simply fun to play and has lots going on design-wise for any GCA enthusiast to study. Wilmington South is a real test and I think the pros will love it.  Moselem Springs was just sold and has the potential with the right attention to be exceptional.  It is tired right now but the bones are very good. What more can be said about Pine Valley; the rumor about “you know who” coming in will only make it better (as hard as that is to believe that it could be better). Nemacolin has two distinct courses.  Don’t shy away from a round at Shepherd’s Rock and only play Mystic.  Concord CC is a good example of how a Flynn course can change. See how good your eye is for what is new vs original. Bethlehem GC I am biased about but having experienced dozens and dozens of Gordon designs I will state that the greens are now the best and most interesting of all those Gordon courses that I have seen.  Lehigh CC is one of Flynn’s best and still flies under the radar for some even though GM did have it on their Top 100 a few years back.  Saucon Valley might have the best three course private set up in the U.S.  All three are very good and present different playing experiences.  And then there are the off the beaten path courses like Honesdale GC in PA (a throw back design that I am guessing no one here has played) and Winston Lake, a hilly Ellis Maples design in NC that cost less to play then some places charge for a hotdog and Gatorade.  I will stop here without listing the rest and sorry for no Doak numbers.  Happy to discuss that offline :)

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2021, 10:34:48 AM »
What is a "point 5" on the DS? 

It doesn't seem that the scale, which is descriptive and not quantitative, is suited for 4.5's and the like.  You are either a 4 or a 5....read the scale descriptions and decide.
For me, it's when I am torn between two categories. Rather than forcing myself to make a decision. I use a ".5"

MCirba

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2021, 10:35:23 AM »
Great summary, Mark...thanks.

If you do a search for Honesdale on here you can find my review / rating of it from 2 years ago. ;D

Mark_Fine

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2021, 11:18:06 AM »
Mike,
I should have known you would have played Honesdale  ;D   I love finding old courses like that. 

MCirba

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2021, 11:24:17 AM »
Mike,
I should have known you would have played Honesdale  ;D   I love finding old courses like that.

Me too.   ;D

I found a bunch this year.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2021, 12:22:47 PM »
This post is depressing me. I played 80 rounds of golf this year and only played one new course. Played a few I hadn't played in a long time but only one new.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2021, 12:25:49 PM »
This post is depressing me. I played 80 rounds of golf this year and only played one new course. Played a few I hadn't played in a long time but only one new.

It's called getting invited back.

Sean_A

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2021, 12:37:44 PM »
16 new plays (I think), a good year for me since I like returning to courses so much.

Moray Old - 6

Moray New - 6 - top 50 Happy 100

Covesea - 5 - top 50 Happy 100 

Woodbridge - 6

Thorpeness - 6 - Happy 100 

Aldeburgh - 6

Hadley Wood - 6 - Happy 100

Flempton - 6 - Happy 100 

Royston - 5 - Happy 100 

Cullen - 5

JCB - 7

Berkshire Red - 6

Harwood Downs - 6 - Happy 100

West Surrey - 5

Seaton Carew New - 6  - Top 50 Happy 100

Piltdown - 5

There are course tours for each course if you search.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 03:01:13 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Rob Marshall

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2021, 01:03:42 PM »

Invited back to a place I've never been? Who's on first?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

David Jones

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2021, 03:23:10 PM »
Places I got back to:

Crystal Downs - 10
Muirfield - 10
National Golf Links - 10
Royal Dornoch - 10
Pacific Dunes - 10

North Berwick - 9
Seminole - 9
Camargo - 8
Streamsong Blue - 8

Brora - 7
Dornick Hills - 7
Old Macdonald - 7
Sebonack - 7
Tobacco Road - 7
World Woods (Pine Barrens) - 7

Memorial Park - 6
Musselburgh (Old) - 6 [a substantial upgrade]
Renaissance Club - 6
Rochester G & CC, MN - 6

Pine Needles - 5
World Woods (Rolling Oaks) - 5

Tom, it looks like you have taken three of your courses down by a point - Old Macdonald, Sebonack and The Renaissance. Are they driven by changes to the courses since your original scoring or has your view just changed?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 03:32:32 PM by David Jones »

David Amarnek

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2021, 03:34:11 PM »
I only traveled twice this year due to COVID, once finally back to Philly where I played no new courses, and once to Park City, UT.
I played both courses at Promontory:
Dye's Canyon: 4
Nicklaus' Painted Valley: 3
Nothing special but the camaraderie, as 20 of us from Westwood CC in St. Louis made the trip.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 08:33:39 AM by David Amarnek »

John Ezekowitz

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2021, 05:43:54 PM »
I only played two new courses to me this year worth noting:

Missing Links - 7

I'm confident that this 9 hole course has never been seen by GCA. I hope to be able to share more about it in the future, but for now I can only say that it is on a body of water in New England, was extremely well-routed by members of the family that still owns the property in the 1920's, and is only a 7 because the greens are very small. One of the most special places I've ever had the privilege of playing.

Balboa Park GC - 5

I'm torn between 5 and 6 here. The site is very severe and several of the holes border on the absurd, but there is some rollicking brilliance, too (6, 7, 10, 12, 14, 15, and yes, 16 are all great). They've taken out/lost some big trees recently, so the views of downtown on the back nine have gotten even better. For the price and the setting so close to a major metropolitan area, it is a great municipal course. The range might be a Doak 1, though.

Two other new ones (briefly):

Encinitas Ranch - 3
Woodland GC - 4

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2021, 06:32:31 PM »

Invited back to a place I've never been? Who's on first?

I assumed it was a compliment, saying at least you are being invited back to places...maybe better than playing a ton of courses once and never getting invited again.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 09:58:38 PM by Joe_Tucholski »

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2021, 07:46:32 PM »

Stuart,

I have Mystic Dunes and Tobacco Road as equals. What about TR did you like so much more?

I don't know if you're serious.

But just in case... The width of TR, the piece of property that TR is built on (more movement and more elevation changes that were used exceptionally well), the variety of the holes, including the bunkering and greens (although MD's greens are pretty good for a Florida housing/resort course). MD has some fugly railroad tie bunkers that don't fit in with the rest of the bunkers. TR played firmer. No houses on TR, (MD has houses on many, if not most, holes and there was loud construction on several of the holes where more  homes were being built). Most of the holes at TR offer a variety of playing  options with lots of risk-reward choices and mind games. TR has more than a handful of great holes. MD has some good holes and both courses have some quirk (that I liked). The stretch from #8 to #13 at TR beats anything at MD. When I finished my round at TR I wanted to go right back out.  I liked MD, but just can't see them as equals. If you really do, then  we just have different tastes in golf courses. Let's play MD and you can convince me I'm wrong, or perhaps you can post a hole by hole bout and show which holes at MD you prefer to its TR counterpart.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2021, 08:12:29 PM »
I just sold my house in back of 8 tee at Mystic. I’m serious.

Lived there two years. Played 45 holes.

You’re right. Thanks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back