News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Union League National - New Jersey
« on: November 23, 2021, 10:42:29 AM »
Has anyone  recently played Union League National in New Jersey?  I have seen pictures of it and heard great things. I played it when it was Sand Barrens and I'm dying to play this updated version

Joe Bausch

Re: Union League National - New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 11:00:25 AM »
My visit was a little over a year ago and I know much more work has taken place since. 

But here is a hole-by-hole tour of two of nines from August 2020:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/ULNGC/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Chris Roselle

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 12:40:11 PM »
Played it in early October and the transformation is stunning.  Some of the green complexes might need to be softened over time as there are some that are incredibly severe.  Plenty of room off the tee as the fairways are very generous.  The elevation change with some of the newly built teeing areas is unlike anything else you see down the shore.  Still needs time to grow in and finish the final nine holes but it's spectacular.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 01:18:12 PM »
I've seen the photos, the club is hiring all the big photographers who are posting all over Instagram.

It looks completely fabricated and manufactured. "It's Pine Valley inspired" seems to be a popular selling point these days but I don't see one hole that reminds me of Pine Valley.

Dana Fry copied Chicago GC for Arcadia Bluffs and now he's doing this course?

I'm missing something?

archie_struthers

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 01:28:54 PM »
 8)

It's a stunning transformation form the old course and although for many here might be over the top it's really fun to play. Wide corridors , greens that can probably be hard as you want them to be but unlike anything many people have seen as to the extent of the earth moving and imported "native" species of grasses. 

Lot's of people are going to want to play there!

John Foley

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 01:32:37 PM »
How is the work progressing? Are they doing 9 holes at a time? Seems that the work has been going on for a long time, just surprised to keep seeing construction updates.
Integrity in the moment of choice

archie_struthers

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 02:00:41 PM »
 8)

It's a huge job not a renovation but a reinvention. 

Think it should be totally finished summer 2023...given grow in etc. 

Wish they had only done 18 holes (personal thing about 27)   with a "short course" 

MCirba

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 02:51:45 PM »
I am very intrigued.  Dubious, but intrigued.   ;)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 05:20:52 PM »
Played last year with many holes yet to be redone. I await the completion before returning but the artificial elevation is off putting . I’ll go with an open mind but I’m more of a fan of courses fitting the land.
AKA Mayday

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 06:01:29 PM »
Since when did all you guys join the Union League? ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

MCirba

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 07:12:45 PM »
I turned them down, Steve.

archie_struthers

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 09:23:59 PM »
 8) ;D

Wouldn't fit the typical profile of a member but they have been great about letting me roam around unfettered as construction plays out. Thanks to Dana and the super for the courtesy. Some of my friends caddie there and they have been treated very well.

I'm a fan of the classic courses as a rule. Really enjoy the idea of "finding" the holes in the dirt and think that's a consensus of the majority that post or lurk here. That being said at the end of the day I want to have a fun golf course that requires a good modicum of skill and not just smash and gouge. Think the Union League here at the shore will have plenty of this when they are finished.

Sure you can sing the praises of minimalists, and the great work TD , C&C  and some of our brethren here will surely stand the test of time. But that doesn't make courses that move material bad ! I would love anyone here who has played Indian Creek CC in Miami Beach to chime in and tell everyone just how good this 100% man made golf course is   ;D

Play the shots required count them up and then tell me if it's good
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 08:22:16 AM by archie_struthers »

Mike Worth

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2021, 06:32:34 AM »
8)

It's a stunning transformation form the old course and although for many here might be over the top it's really fun to play. Wide corridors , greens that can probably be hard as you want them to be but unlike anything many people have seen as to the extent of the earth moving and imported "native" species of grasses. 

Lot's of people are going to want to play there!

Adding my voice to those who think the course is over the top and contrived.

I played it 2 years ago as a guest. The renovation of first 9 holes was complete. Many of the greens were way over the top. I also found the artificial hill to be excessive and too obviously fake.

But it must be said the Union League has created a strong golf club.  In South Jersey, the conversations 4 years ago were “I wonder if they’ll get enough people to join.”  By 2020, they had a $25,000 initiation and a waitlist. I can only imagine what entry into the club is like now.

As to the tongue in cheek comments about joining the Union League from my fellow Philadelphians — I would like to say that I could get in if I wanted, but I choose not to (sarcasm). 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 06:50:25 AM by Mike Worth »

mike_malone

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2021, 07:55:54 AM »
I know several Union League members so that tells you it’s accessible. They’re regular guys.
AKA Mayday

Mike_Trenham

Re: Union League National - New Jersey New
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2021, 08:35:19 AM »
https://www.golfcourseindustry.com/article/building-something-big-union-league-philadelphia/

Above is a link to an article that outlines the direction the Union League of Philadelphia is taking with its expansion into golf facilities.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 04:12:47 PM by Mike_Trenham »
Proud member of a Doak 3.

MCirba

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2021, 08:47:25 AM »
In the immortal paraphrased words of Kuato in "Total Recall", I'm trying to keep an open mind and will purposefully avoid looking at photos prior to visiting as sometimes pics miss the tie-ins which are the most critical piece to get right IMO to largely manufactured courses.

archie_struthers

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2021, 09:08:08 AM »
 8) :-*

Now that's the spirit Mike!  See how it plays and runs out ....pictures don't always tell the story

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2021, 10:37:50 AM »
In the immortal paraphrased words of Kuato in "Total Recall", I'm trying to keep an open mind and will purposefully avoid looking at photos prior to visiting as sometimes pics miss the tie-ins which are the most critical piece to get right IMO to largely manufactured courses.

yikes   
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

MCirba

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2021, 04:01:26 PM »
8) :-*

Now that's the spirit Mike!  See how it plays and runs out ....pictures don't always tell the story

Archie,

Hoping they still let me!  ;)

Seriously, if you tell me I must see it that's good enough for me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back