News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: Lookout Mountain Membership Passes Restoration
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2021, 02:42:24 PM »

Will the dip in the bairitz be in the green or in front of it still? Hope they expand that green.

Paul Jones

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2021, 11:13:17 PM »

Will the dip in the bairitz be in the green or in front of it still? Hope they expand that green.

Here are the changes that were presented for Hole 4:

Add new back tee.
Expand and square up existing main tee.
Shift cart path from the right of the hole to the left to accommodate new bunkering.
Add new forward tee. Construct new bunker per the Raynor plan.
Core out existing right greenside bunker and replace liner and sand for improved playing conditions.
Rebuild and expand existing left greenside bunker.
Largely expand green and consider regrading fairway approach to improve drainage and intended playability.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

herrstein

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2022, 05:01:42 PM »
Hey guys,
The restoration work will begin on June 6!
If you'll look at the original Raynor working drawings, you can see that the Biarritz had only the rear portion as green. The hole was listed at 220 yards.
Here's where to find them:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO03jLRxINt_qMdl5PL0qMql3ccepukdsp_pDfMEK_Ix8mRTcP7pETfhfsIZjNYDg?key=bThMTW1iZGd0UmdTbEJnRXVGM3RxTFI1V21BZ2x3
Thanks
Doug

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2022, 06:51:35 PM »
Doug,

Congrats on this. Wow, this is a throwback post. I was in Chattanooga in April 2021, but logistics prevented seeing Lookout Mountain. We had dinner at the "old" train station, and I hope to get back there some day. People were really nice to us.

Please post pics...
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2022, 07:53:12 PM »
Hey guys,
The restoration work will begin on June 6!
If you'll look at the original Raynor working drawings, you can see that the Biarritz had only the rear portion as green. The hole was listed at 220 yards.
Here's where to find them:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO03jLRxINt_qMdl5PL0qMql3ccepukdsp_pDfMEK_Ix8mRTcP7pETfhfsIZjNYDg?key=bThMTW1iZGd0UmdTbEJnRXVGM3RxTFI1V21BZ2x3
Thanks
Doug

Congrats! I also am looking forward to seeing the before and after- loved it pre-renovation even if it was that brutally cold and wet Dixie!

The APT players really appreciated the members opening up the course for them last summer, by the way. They raved about it. Hope we do it again!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2022, 09:01:28 PM »

Construction work has started on a $12 million golf course restoration project at Lookout Mountain Club, near Chattanooga, Georgia.

The layout was originally designed by Seth Raynor in 1925 and opened as Fairyland Golf Club, the centrepiece of a mountain resort. Raynor died two months after drafting his final plan, with his associate Charles Banks taking over.
The club hired Brian Silva in 1995 to develop a master plan that would complete Raynor’s vision. However, budget limitations meant only some of his recommendations were made – updating fairway bunkers and restoring the eleventh and seventeenth greens.
In October 2021, the club approved new plans to restore the golf course to its Raynor roots. A project team comprising Kyle Franz, Tyler Rae and Jim Ryan was hired, whose focus will be rebuilding and resurfacing greens, as well as rebuilding and expanding bunkers. A new irrigation system will be installed and new cart paths added.
“We have been blessed by the golf gods and are charged with breathing life back into the property,” said Rae. “This is one we may look back on in the later stages of our lives with pure joy and happiness, as these types of projects don’t come around too often.”
Caroline Williams, Lookout Mountain’s president, said: “This is such a defining  moment in the narrative of Lookout Mountain Club. Our membership, board and team have overwhelmingly embraced the opportunity to invest in our future by partnering with the best in their fields to thoughtfully restore our historic golf course and clubhouse. The project will allow us to provide generations of members and their families an experience like no other – one that is distinctly Lookout and decidedly extraordinary.”
The project is expected to be completed in spring 2023, alongside renovations to the Fairyland Clubhouse.

Lookout Mountain Club breaks ground on $12 million restoration project (golfcoursearchitecture.net)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 09:04:29 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2023, 09:33:17 PM »
I played it today. Holy cow is it good. The Tif Eagle greens were brilliant and the slope and undulations can make a first time player look silly. The course was fast and firm. I just loved it.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2023, 10:51:23 PM »
I played it today. Holy cow is it good. The Tif Eagle greens were brilliant and the slope and undulations can make a first time player look silly. The course was fast and firm. I just loved it.

While they redid the greens, they were reseeded with bentgrass. (AU, I believe)
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Brian Finn

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2023, 09:16:03 AM »
I was just going to ask last night if anyone had played here yet.  Some friends played earlier this week, and sent me a few photos.  The Redan looks like one of the best iterations possible (from very good already to great).  I am excited to get back and see it.

What did you think of the 15th green?  It looks absolutely wild.
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2023, 03:12:50 PM »

Anthony, I asked about the grass and was told Tiff Eagle. Now I did play six different courses so I could be confused.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2023, 03:14:33 PM »
I was just going to ask last night if anyone had played here yet.  Some friends played earlier this week, and sent me a few photos.  The Redan looks like one of the best iterations possible (from very good already to great).  I am excited to get back and see it.

What did you think of the 15th green?  It looks absolutely wild.

I think I have a picture of that green. There are a lot of greens that have. Bunch of slope and undulations. The greens ran about 11 I think. Any faster and they would be unplayable.
St. John of the Cross

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2023, 03:21:00 PM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 11:31:56 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2023, 03:23:14 PM »
Sorry, I can’t recall the numbers.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 11:32:34 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

Adam Russell

Re: Lookout Mountain Membership Passes Restoration New
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2023, 03:25:04 PM »

Anthony, I asked about the grass and was told Tiff Eagle. Now I did play six different courses so I could be confused.

All 18 greens at LMC are 100% AU Victory creeping bentgrass. The original McLemore course down the mountain also has AU Victory greens, and McLemore’s new course The Keep will be AU Victory as well.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 03:39:27 PM by Adam Russell »
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back