News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: How About Building One For The Old Guys?
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2021, 02:21:14 PM »
Kalen, I hate that the damn Photobucket watermark gets in the way!  Great shots though!

Yea,

I just can't stomach being basically extorted by Photobucket to get them removed...so that won't change anytime soon.

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2021, 02:23:39 PM »
Understand completely!  This is why Ran needs to step up to the plate and upgrade for photo uploads!

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2021, 02:24:37 PM »
Kalen, I hate that the damn Photobucket watermark gets in the way!  Great shots though!

Here's a link to a photo album of Indian Canyon without watermarks. The hole references are the current set up (nines reversed from Kalen's thread).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157695465826312/with/29291514128/  Indian Canyon

Thank you!

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2021, 02:45:06 PM »
What is even more incredible is the course has the original Egan drawings.  This place would make for a perfect rejuvenation.  So much to reclaim as well and recapture!

Tim Martin

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2021, 02:56:07 PM »
What is even more incredible is the course has the original Egan drawings.  This place would make for a perfect rejuvenation.  So much to reclaim as well and recapture!

Tommy-You have Gil on speed dial. Get on the case! ;D

jeffwarne

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2021, 09:21:04 PM »
There are plenty out there that fit the profile.
Aiken Golf Club. Kilspindie.Cape Arundel.Palmetto, Shennecossett, plenty of 9 holers
Apawamis.Huntington CC. Myopia. Eastward Ho.St George's, Perranporth.
Not against building more, just plenty available-especially if one doesn't walk back and plays closest tee to previous green.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

mark chalfant

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2021, 10:29:46 PM »
Shuttle Meadow,  Park
Kankakee Elks, Illinois   Langford
Westhampton, Raynor from forward tees

Powelton,NY    Rockville,LI  and Cape Cod CC all by Devereux Emmet

Tom_Doak

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2021, 12:13:40 AM »

I doubt Indian Canyon has $15m laying around.   :-X

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2021, 12:39:58 AM »
Berhard Langer is 64 and manages to make the cut in a major there. Build another Augusta.
I've read all the common opinions and conventional views on what makes that possible for him, and for Couples before him and for JN at 58 finishing 5th or 6th -- you know, familiarity with where not to miss it and the importance of 2nd shot positioning/angles over distance and the need to putt those greens smartly, or the idiot one about a supposedly 'weaker field' etc.
But none of those seem to me to get to the true heart of the course/design, or to the reasons the 'old guys' can do so well there.
Over the years it's played slow and wet and long and played fast and dry and short, and it's certainly been lengthened over the last two decades and Tiger-proofed; and yet year after year Langer, for that week on that specific golf course, is one of the best 50 or so golfers in the world.
Someone should figure that out in a real way, and then copy it.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 12:55:10 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Tim Martin

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2021, 07:09:22 AM »
Berhard Langer is 64 and manages to make the cut in a major there. Build another Augusta.
I've read all the common opinions and conventional views on what makes that possible for him, and for Couples before him and for JN at 58 finishing 5th or 6th -- you know, familiarity with where not to miss it and the importance of 2nd shot positioning/angles over distance and the need to putt those greens smartly, or the idiot one about a supposedly 'weaker field' etc.
But none of those seem to me to get to the true heart of the course/design, or to the reasons the 'old guys' can do so well there.
Over the years it's played slow and wet and long and played fast and dry and short, and it's certainly been lengthened over the last two decades and Tiger-proofed; and yet year after year Langer, for that week on that specific golf course, is one of the best 50 or so golfers in the world.
Someone should figure that out in a real way, and then copy it.

Peter-To single out one 64 year old professional player on the 7500 yard Masters setup misses the point of the thread. Although I didn’t specify I thought it was clear that the thread was talking about guys like you and I. What about all the other past champions that don’t or didn’t bother to play at that age because it’s beyond their ability? I’m thinking your post is tongue in cheek but you would have to clarify that.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2021, 04:36:08 PM »
Not tongue in cheek, Tim. Your topic is a good one and its focus clear, and there have been many good posts addressing it over two pages. So I thought it okay to ask the experts / architects a question I had, ie the reasons, design-wise, that an aging Langer (or Couples or Nicklaus) can still compete at Augusta. What is it about the architecture there that allows older golfers to score decently *despite* it being 7500 yards long and not a links course?

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2021, 07:43:53 PM »

I doubt Indian Canyon has $15m laying around.   :-X

Tom, Would love to know your thoughts on Indian Canyon!  No, they certainly wouldn’t have $15 million lying around and I’d never want to screw with those greens even if they were mapped.  Certainly wouldn’t put hydroponics or sub air.  The place doesn’t need that!

Tree-trimming and green recovery/pin-locations, then bunker work on the list of items most important.  The tree-trimming and green recovery I think could be done fairly reasonable and in line with what they had to spend.  Bunkers could be done over a more lengthy period of time.

I look at Indian Canyon much the same way I look at Santa Anita:  what was once there is still all pretty much still there and you can’t find more strategic golf in the muni-sector like it!

Daryl David

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2021, 07:58:47 PM »
My memory of Indian Canyon is how the first tee is just below the clubhouse overlooking the canyon and the tight fairway winding down the hill. They can accommodate around 50 spectators on the deck closely watching your tee shot. No big deal except when you are 16 playing in a high school tournament and they just announced your name as you approached the tee on the PA system. Terrifying. Life scarring, until you rip one right out into the void and it disappears over the hill and the applause begins. One of my best memories.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back