News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Perches

Midwest Mashie: Is Harvester #7 a good golf hole?
« on: September 23, 2021, 10:44:31 PM »
7 is my second on my least favorite hole list on the otherwise very pleasant course.
I've played it 4 times now and still have no idea how to play it to get reasonably close to a back left pin.
The drive is straightforward, hit it left and the ball will move right toward the middle of the fairway.
But:
Playing to a back right pin, you seem to have to hit the left fringe to get close.Playing to a back left pin seems to require a left hillside bank shot or a _really_ hard hook from a lie where the ball is generally below your feet.
Is there a better way or is it just take par if you can and go on hole?

Jason Thurman

Re: Midwest Mashie: Is Harvester #7 a good golf hole?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 09:28:09 AM »
It's always been a hole I really loved the look and movement of, even dating back to the days when a cart path cut right across the fairway. The severity of the green last weekend surprised me, as I didn't recall it being quite so stringent. My understanding is that most of the greens on the course weren't altered too heavily in the renovation, but I have a theory for why this one seemed scarier...

I heard from a credible source that the greens were running around 14.5 this weekend. And I believe it. In those conditions, a hole like 7 grows some serious fangs. But back the greens down to 11.5 or so, and I think you'd both open up some "less-tucked" pins while also allowing for balls to stay a little closer to one in the back left corner.

I'm a fan of the hole. I think it sits on a really attractive piece of land. I love the skyline approach. I love the tension created by the false front and severely uphill final 50 yards and the slopes of the green. And I respect it as a severely uphill hole in general, because it's just harder to design uphill holes that really work well. Given that Harvester was hosting the most significant match play event contested between regional teams that will visit the Midwest in 2021, I loved seeing it in lightning-fast conditions. But if I were an everyday member at Harvester, I might ask the superintendent to just single-roll the greens once in a while. I'm sort of a wuss like that.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

V_Halyard

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 11:11:16 AM »
I enjoyed it on Sunday. I banged the second towards the far left side of the green side hill and it popped it towards the back middle of the green leaving an up hill.  It was luck, but I suppose that now becomes a strategy to play that pin. lol
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 02:32:46 PM »
I think the best play was to hit it in 9 fairway off the tee.  Not sure whether that makes it a good or bad hole. 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 02:53:13 PM »
Does a non-elite amateur need to be able to get close to every hole location without a terrific approach?

I think with the wind and firmness the green speed was a little too much on that hole. But I believe I was 1 over in three plays (not all to that location), so how tough can it be?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back