News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: Hanse to Restore Yale
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2021, 07:54:40 AM »
University endowments -- especially old ones -- are also highly restricted.

Not arguing, just stating fact - 24% of Yale's endowment is "unrestricted":

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/55db7b87e4b0dca22fba2438/t/607e4da7bc999d01b4752ea2/1618890160689/2020+Yale+Endowment.pdf

While I am disappointed in the handling of their now former employees, I am happy to see Yale Golf Course (hope they go back to that name) gets some appropriate attention. $25 million seems awfully high for a course that was recently #83 in the world - https://golf.com/travel/courses/top-100-golf-courses-world-2020-21-edition/, but I get that there is a bunch of other stuff in that number.

Mike-They have gone back to the Yale Golf Course name on the current scorecard.

Steve Lang

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2021, 09:28:58 AM »
 8)  ... as I said, "its a commitment" and in my mind that's the take-away from this story, not earth shattering that Yale folks have means to fund whatever they want... however their priorities rank
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2021, 08:18:55 PM »
Hopefully Gil can get Hanse Golf Course Design partner Bill Kittleman on the site for this project.  Bill is a 1954 graduate of Yale.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tim Martin

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2021, 08:30:11 PM »
Hopefully Gil can get Hanse Golf Course Design partner Bill Kittleman on the site for this project.  Bill is a 1954 graduate of Yale.

+1

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2021, 10:17:18 AM »
I am not familiar with Hanse’s restoration work, but I do hope that Yale will be a restoration versus a reimagined renovation. I have been at least somewhat underwhelmed by the original work I have played (Castle Stuart, PH4, and SS Black).  Yale certainly is not a course that lacks historical records nor does it need to be toughened up based upon some notion of original intent.

Are you kidding?  Look at his web site.  Yes theres always been a question about his original work but he's arguably the best restoration architect out there.  Los Angeles Country Club and Sleepy Hollow are two of the best restoration/renovations in American golf history.  Now he's transformed Oakland Hills which is getting positive feedback.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2021, 07:41:14 PM »
University endowments -- especially old ones -- are also highly restricted.

Not arguing, just stating fact - 24% of Yale's endowment is "unrestricted":

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/55db7b87e4b0dca22fba2438/t/607e4da7bc999d01b4752ea2/1618890160689/2020+Yale+Endowment.pdf

Mike,

As you understand, even having 24% of Yale’s large endowment doesn’t mean the university is willing to spend that on athletic facilities.

FYI, about fifteen years ago an old prep school friend and Yale alum called me as part of a fund raising effort to build a new swimming pool. He knew I went to Princeton, not Yale but still thought I might contribute.

When I asked him how much of a check he expected, he responded “nothing, what we want is for you to fly to San Francisco for a special event”.

My friend went on to tell me the special event was a group swim from Alcatraz to Fisherman’s Wharf. Apparently some Yale alum was willing to donate a large amount of money to the new swimming pool if a large enough group would make the swim from Alcatraz.

When I asked “isn’t the water really cold?”, my friend said not to worry the would provide wet suits.

When I then asked “what about sharks?”, my friend said they were planning to have guys in boats with guns!

I don’t think the Alcatraz swim ever happened, nor has Yale ever gotten a new pool. The existing pool, like the Yale Bowl, was special when built, but no longer.

Bottom line: Yale’s endowment isn’t going to sports facilities.
Tim Weiman

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2021, 07:53:05 AM »
The article in GCI makes it clear that the fund, $25 million worth, is to cover restoration, long-term operational deficits, clubhouse renovation, driving range work and maintenance equipment.

This begs the question of how does an entity with a supposed fiduciary duty to the broader public determine just how much good money is justified to throw out to chase bad money.

PCCraig

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2021, 03:19:00 PM »
Regardless of who won the job, the fact that Yale is hiring a high quality firm to restore and architecturally preserve their golf course is great news. Nice to see that the University and its alumni appreciate what they have.
H.P.S.

John Blain

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2021, 11:50:44 AM »
Great news but just curious what took so long to get this point?  It seems like it was common knowledge that Yale GC was a national treasure and a tremendous asset to the school so why did the course seemingly get no respect for all these decades? 

Drew Maliniak

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2021, 02:30:38 PM »
Yale was the Shadow Creek of its day. I believe it cost $450,000 to build the initial track in the 1920s.

I can't wait to see the double punch bowl on three.

Hope Yale decides that it wants to host major tournaments (NCAAs, U.S. Amateurs, U.S. Women's Opens). It's really the best course in CT, by far.

Things I all hate to write as a Princeton graduate. But hopefully, this means that Princeton will keep Springdale. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2021, 03:09:29 PM »
Nothing wrong with this hole:

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 10.55.14 PM.png

I'll bet the bland bunkers get changed.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Cal Seifert

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2021, 06:12:37 AM »
I believe that green originally had a kicker slope on the front right portion to kick balls to back left pin locations safely without taking the risk of the 20’ deep hazard. I’ve heard that somewhere.

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2021, 08:58:26 PM »
Hanse already on site: https://twitter.com/BradleySKlein/status/1442953654047174666

Text of the tweet: "Field work on Yale restoration underway: Gil Hanse with design associates Ben Hillard and Kevin Murphy, and Yale super Jeff Austin (r.) yesterday, took four hours to walk through four holes. Plan basically is to make the place as big as it used to be."

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2021, 09:38:19 AM »
I am not familiar with Hanse’s restoration work, but I do hope that Yale will be a restoration versus a reimagined renovation. I have been at least somewhat underwhelmed by the original work I have played (Castle Stuart, PH4, and SS Black).  Yale certainly is not a course that lacks historical records nor does it need to be toughened up based upon some notion of original intent.

Ira

Go play Ohoopee Match Club, Caprock Ranch and Boston Golf Club and I think you'll come away with a different opinion of his original work.   The three of those are certainly in the top tier of best modern courses.

Adam G

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2021, 01:58:15 PM »
This slider of old versus current aerial views is interesting. Used to be a lot bigger bunkers. http://golfcoursehistories.com/Yale.html

corey miller

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2021, 05:06:20 PM »

As big as can be is fine and good but what will be the choice for the areas of rough?  Will it be high and punitive which seems to be Gil's preference in his NYC area restoration work. :)  Or perhaps that is what the "members" desire? Who will be left to make such important decisions for the Yale Golf course?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2021, 05:58:07 PM »
The Hanse article in Cigar Aficionado was really something. 

John Foley

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2021, 10:55:13 PM »
Were other considered for this? I would think so but not sure. It was pretty quiet that it was even going on.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Jim Franklin

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2021, 11:03:29 AM »

Are you kidding?  Look at his web site.  Yes theres always been a question about his original work but he's arguably the best restoration architect out there.  Los Angeles Country Club and Sleepy Hollow are two of the best restoration/renovations in American golf history.  Now he's transformed Oakland Hills which is getting positive feedback.

He did an incredible job at Baltusrol as well.
Mr Hurricane

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2021, 01:00:38 PM »

He did an incredible job at Baltusrol as well.

I agree, Jim. I think what he did to holes 2,5,7,15-17 was just wonderful.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2022, 07:03:16 PM »
I am a Cornell grad along with Gil Hanse and Tom Doak. I was a member (15 Rounder) of Yale for 20+ years as I married a Connecticut Girl and fell in love with the course. I was always very accepting of the flaws because:

• The Staff was very kind to my Son with Autism;
  • The Course is/was that good;
  • I loved the "European Style Membership". I played with brothers of US Presidents, PGA Pros and Caddies (at Hartford for TPC River Highlands), Mr Moore from Brown, and many locals;
During Covid, I saw what they did to my friends and student writers of Yale Daily News. It was as ugly as this green:

Tommy Naccarato - You were right and I was wrong!!

Peace.

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tim Martin

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2022, 07:10:27 PM »
The golf course will be open Tuesday April 19th.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2022, 07:20:51 PM »
The golf course will be open Tuesday April 19th.

Tim,

They won't be supporting Dustin Sweeney any longer. How is your son?
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tim Martin

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2022, 06:37:29 AM »
Yale is hosting the 2022 NCAA Division 1 Men’s Golf Regional from May 15th through May 18th. It’s always fun watching these guys get it around especially at a course like Yale.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back