News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam G

Hanse to Restore Yale
« on: September 23, 2021, 01:19:35 PM »
https://www.golfcourseindustry.com/article/yale-golf-course-gil-hanse/

Going to be AMAZING!

Also great to see they are going to maintain it in a way that reflects the investment.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 01:29:02 PM by Adam G »

Tim Martin

Re: Hanse to Restore Yale
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 01:37:33 PM »
I’m thrilled to see Yale is going to undertake the project but from a selfish angle the course looks like it will be closed for between a year and half and two years. Some big names along with Hanse were interviewed and I believe there were varying degrees of interest from at least a couple of the firms that weren’t chosen. Without seeing any of the details it looks to be a comprehensive plan.

Will Lozier

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 01:43:57 PM »
$25 MILLION?!?!? :o

I am super excited to see the result...but the price tag gives me pause. Not because Yale can't afford it, but rather because it's just alot of frickin' money that could do so much good if spent on truly important things.

Also...DOES YALE GC REALLY NEED $25 MILLION PUT INTO IT!?!?! I know it is in tough shape, but that just seems like way too much money, a staggering amount of cash!

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 01:51:06 PM by Will Lozier »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 01:52:33 PM »
I am tickled that the course will have some much needed attention but like Will i agree that the cost is staggering.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Adam G

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 02:12:55 PM »
I'm guessing that the cost includes the endowment for maintenance. Yale pays union wages and benefits, so this is a non-trivial expense. It sounds like it also includes redoing the clubhouse. I'm curious how much is golf course.

Paul Jones

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 02:13:36 PM »
Does this include new buildings/clubhouse?  I am guessing this will include a complete new irrigation system?

Will it be open to the public and not just people affiliated with Yale?

Excited to see the final results.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 02:47:20 PM »
Being a Raynorphile - by way of a gentlemen from Pine Brook, New Jersey - this is thrilling news. If the restoration plan is anywhere near the stunningly good presentation they made at Olympic, the results will be epic.

One of my major critiques of Rees (putting aside my personal distaste) is the ham-handed way he went about "updating" some of the specific features out there.

Perhaps, because he's a Bulldog, they gave him free rein to inflict the same disrespectful defecation as his brainless monkeying around at NGLA a few years back.

Yale is a national treasure that can still sternly challenge the best NCAA players - but I pray any restoration will be more focused on treating it like a rare and wonderful museum piece . . . . . which is why you need a curator like Gil, Shac and Tommy - and not the guy who turned the Black Course into the black plague. 

Will Lozier

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 03:11:32 PM »
One of my major critiques of Rees (putting aside my personal distaste) is the ham-handed way he went about "updating" some of the specific features out there.

Perhaps, because he's a Bulldog, they gave him free rein to inflict the same disrespectful defecation as his brainless monkeying around at NGLA a few years back.

Gib,

What did RJ do at NGLA?! And WHY did the club hire HIM?!

Cheers

Jeff Schley

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 03:12:51 PM »
Great news. We went from rumors of the course collapsing at the start of covid and abandoned to one of the most expensive restorations ever. It doesn't say the part of the pie going towards structures, but I would think a new maintenance facility thrown in somewhere. Let's assume maybe 15 million for the course itself, the large part is irrigation and rebuilding the greens and bunkers. I have never played there, but is it that wet that they need to sand cap?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

MCirba

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 03:35:30 PM »
I thought it was Roger Rulewich, not Rees Jones who did the prior work at Yale?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 03:35:44 PM »
Will,

He is a member . . . . but it has been a while.

Last time there, I made sure to borrow Raymond Floyd's locker - I did not want a hex on my golf shoes.

Adam G

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 03:39:01 PM »
Here's the university's official statement: https://yalebulldogs.com/news/2021/9/23/general-hanse-golf-course-design-to-create-architectural-master-plan-for-the-yale-golf-course.aspx

First, "The master plan includes significant investment into the maintenance of the course and the development of a fiscally sound business model. The increased capital into the maintenance endowments and the move to a daily-fee model provide the necessary support to keep Yale the No. 1-ranked college golf course in the country and elevate its standing as one of the best courses in the nation." So yes it seems like the $25m includes an endowment for maintenance. Second it should be open to the public (this was revealed by Golf Digest's top public course ranking) and will charge outsiders a hefty green fee to cover the costs of operating the course.

Second, Hanse says: "The restoration of Yale Golf Course is the most significant restoration opportunity we have been entrusted with." Quite remarkable given the other restorations he has done. I recall him going on a podcast (Fried Egg?) and saying Yale was his dream restoration job. Exciting he gets to do it (as I recall Doak said Bel Air for the same question and he got to do that one!).

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 03:56:06 PM »
Here's the university's official statement: https://yalebulldogs.com/news/2021/9/23/general-hanse-golf-course-design-to-create-architectural-master-plan-for-the-yale-golf-course.aspx
Second, Hanse says: "The restoration of Yale Golf Course is the most significant restoration opportunity we have been entrusted with." Quite remarkable given the other restorations he has done.

Adam-The line above attributed to Hanse jumped out at me when reading Yale’s press release.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 04:34:05 PM »

This juxtaposition is awesome, and the best thing I’ve read all day.

…(putting aside my personal distaste)…they gave him free rein to inflict the same disrespectful defecation as his brainless monkeying around at NGLA a few years back.

V_Halyard

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 05:00:50 PM »
Good news especially from a school with an .esteemed architecture school and roster of classic golf architects.
The situation was pretty unfathomable.
Re: the project cost, I echo someones thought above, I think parts of the raise are assigned to insure a consistent commitment to a higher level of maintenance and agronomy.
Re: Outside Play, I think most non-alumni and non-Yale affiliated members have been paid out and anticipate access to mirror the access of Stanford.  You would need to be a student, faculty, alum and/guest of one of those for access.
Solid sources have indicated that the unaccompanied play is unlikely.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2021, 07:20:04 PM »
I could see Yale having the most expensive drainage system in the golf world with this renovation.

Excited to see this unfold!
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Carl Rogers

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2021, 07:21:26 PM »
Given the enthusiastic praise given through the years by so many, I would have thought this level of effort unnecessary.

Ah well, another inaccessible course to the unwashed (like myself).
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Brad Klein

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 07:51:32 PM »
The article in GCI makes it clear that the fund, $25 million worth, is to cover restoration, long-term operational deficits, clubhouse renovation, driving range work and maintenance equipment.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2021, 08:08:10 PM »
I am not familiar with Hanse’s restoration work, but I do hope that Yale will be a restoration versus a reimagined renovation. I have been at least somewhat underwhelmed by the original work I have played (Castle Stuart, PH4, and SS Black).  Yale certainly is not a course that lacks historical records nor does it need to be toughened up based upon some notion of original intent.

Ira

Steve Lang

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2021, 03:17:34 PM »
 8)   I see that the Yale University Endowment was valued at ~$31,200,000,000 in 2020 from a quick search... I think they can afford funding some upkeep and modernization of the place... its a commitment.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2021, 05:18:33 PM »
8)   I see that the Yale University Endowment was valued at ~$31,200,000,000 in 2020 from a quick search... I think they can afford funding some upkeep and modernization of the place... its a commitment.

Don’t be silly - they are not using any of that.  They raised all the $$$$$ from alums.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2021, 12:41:19 AM »
Nothing wrong with this hole:

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 10.55.14 PM.png
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jeff Schley

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2021, 06:22:54 AM »

Don’t be silly - they are not using any of that.  They raised all the $$$$$ from alums.
Yes, the endowment is to use 4-5% of its value each year to remain in perpetuity. Heck with hyper inflation here, they need 8-10 percent return to be able to keep up their spending power.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Adam G

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2021, 07:05:36 AM »
University endowments -- especially old ones -- are also highly restricted. They are made up of lots of pots of money earmarked for specific things: specific professorships, departments, initiatives, etc. Just because they made a crazy return on that money and grew it into more than they will possibly need for its intended purpose doesn't mean it can be used for something else. So as Tom said they have to raise an endowment for the golf course from alums because they do not have that much unrestricted money they can shift to golf course maintenance (or, for that matter, from the Classics department to Computer Science).

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2021, 07:42:15 AM »
University endowments -- especially old ones -- are also highly restricted.

Not arguing, just stating fact - 24% of Yale's endowment is "unrestricted":

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/55db7b87e4b0dca22fba2438/t/607e4da7bc999d01b4752ea2/1618890160689/2020+Yale+Endowment.pdf

While I am disappointed in the handling of their now former employees, I am happy to see Yale Golf Course (hope they go back to that name) gets some appropriate attention. $25 million seems awfully high for a course that was recently #83 in the world - https://golf.com/travel/courses/top-100-golf-courses-world-2020-21-edition/, but I get that there is a bunch of other stuff in that number.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back