News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

Pete Dye's Final Design
« on: September 02, 2021, 07:08:21 AM »
Anyone know anything about Pete Dye's design at White Oak Plantation, said to be his last?

WW

Tom_Doak

Re: Pete Dye's Final Design
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 09:35:08 AM »
I don't know anything about the White Oak course, but I just wanted to say that I think it's borderline ghoulish for a course to sell itself as any architect's "final design".  And with many architects, there are usually two or three courses vying for the honor.  I know there's also a course in Indianapolis claiming to be Pete's last.

In most cases, an architect's last course is going to be one where he was dealing with illness and maybe didn't spend as much time or have as much energy to devote to its design.

The only architect I can think of whose "last course" is considered among his best is MacKenzie, if you consider Augusta National to be his last course, and not Ohio State which was built from his plans a couple of years after he passed.

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 10:59:05 AM »
TD,

Do you mean The Scarlet or The Grey?

Yes it is ghoulish, but that's marketing.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 11:06:35 AM »
Years ago, I failed to get a commission, and the reason I was given was that they were hoping to get RTJ's last course.

What's interesting for us gca buffs is, as TD alludes, determining what was the last course an aging architect had a major influence on.  Examples may include RTJ and the Alabama Golf Trail, where Roger Rulewhich is widely known to have done the work, and who knows about Pete, who had younger associates or sons building at least some of the courses with his name on it.

In other words, I would be interested in the last course where he moved to live on site to see if I could spot the differences.  For that matter, I think I can spot differences in Ross courses built by his Chicago office over his NC one.  Others would know better, but was there a Ross course other than Jeffersonville NC that might have been his last?

On the other hand, in this environment, with most gca offices downsizing tremendously over the last 10 years, it may very well be that for most of us, approaching, at or just past retirement age, some of our last courses had more of our own personal touch, not less.

Overall, a pretty uncomfortable discussion for a 66 year old gca, LOL.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 11:08:08 AM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 11:36:33 AM »
TD,

Do you mean The Scarlet or The Grey?

Yes it is ghoulish, but that's marketing.

Steve:

I believe both courses were built in 1936.

After he died, MacKenzie's estate applied to the university for payment for the plans.  There is some speculation that the greens plans were not, in fact, all complete when he passed away, and they were finished by someone else, in order to receive payment.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 11:44:58 AM »
Jeff:  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want a job because the customer hopes it's my last one.  >:(   

Bill Seitz

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 12:09:00 PM »
After he died, MacKenzie's estate applied to the university for payment for the plans.  There is some speculation that the greens plans were not, in fact, all complete when he passed away, and they were finished by someone else, in order to receive payment.

At the risk of sounding more ghoulish, maybe golf course architects could be like rap artists, and leave a bunch of unfinished routings, sketches, and master plans.  You could end up with more posthumous courses than ones built while living.  Like the Tupac of GCA!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 12:24:07 PM »

At the risk of sounding more ghoulish, maybe golf course architects could be like rap artists, and leave a bunch of unfinished routings, sketches, and master plans.  You could end up with more posthumous courses than ones built while living.  Like the Tupac of GCA!

We all have tons of those, for projects that we were paid to do plans for, but never happened due to finances / permits / etc.

I printed just a small sampling of mine in Getting to 18.

But, it costs a lot more to produce a posthumous golf course design than it costs to produce a recording.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 02:46:01 PM »
A couple years ago, this Maryland course was being called his last.  I still haven't played there. 

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-links-at-perry-cabin-pete-dyes-inspiring-final-design

Jim Sherma

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 02:50:46 PM »
Jeff - I thought the Bethlehem Steel Club, now known as Steel Club fka Silver Creek, was the last Ross course. Or at least the last he traveled to oversee.

Years ago, I failed to get a commission, and the reason I was given was that they were hoping to get RTJ's last course.

What's interesting for us gca buffs is, as TD alludes, determining what was the last course an aging architect had a major influence on.  Examples may include RTJ and the Alabama Golf Trail, where Roger Rulewhich is widely known to have done the work, and who knows about Pete, who had younger associates or sons building at least some of the courses with his name on it.

In other words, I would be interested in the last course where he moved to live on site to see if I could spot the differences.  For that matter, I think I can spot differences in Ross courses built by his Chicago office over his NC one.  Others would know better, but was there a Ross course other than Jeffersonville NC that might have been his last?

On the other hand, in this environment, with most gca offices downsizing tremendously over the last 10 years, it may very well be that for most of us, approaching, at or just past retirement age, some of our last courses had more of our own personal touch, not less.

Overall, a pretty uncomfortable discussion for a 66 year old gca, LOL.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 03:00:49 PM »
Jeff - I thought the Bethlehem Steel Club, now known as Steel Club fka Silver Creek, was the last Ross course. Or at least the last he traveled to oversee.

And I thought Raleigh CC advertised themselves as Ross's last course.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 03:09:10 PM »
Just proving the point that it would be nearly impossible to determine what the last course is, at least for a busy architect.  I had always heard Raleigh was his last, as well.

If the gca in question died during construction, around here, we might start debating which was his last nine holes, or maybe last hole period. 

The Royal Club in Minnesota, a /Annika (front nine, with tech support from Palmer Design) and back nine Palmer design touts themselves as Arnie's last course.  On the par 3 14th (?) as Arnie's last hole, they claim he stood on the originally built hole and directed some specific changes, making it Arnie's last hole design. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 03:11:07 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 03:17:53 PM »

I don’t have anything to back this up, but I have been told that the New Smyrna Beach course in Florida was Ross’s last
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 03:42:09 PM »
I think Bill really hits the nail on the head, this does happen a lot in other niches like Hollywood, (as well as the music industry) for example Heath Ledger and Chadwick Boseman.

I also suspect, (but don't really know), that GCA careers are probably a bit like Hollywood careers where most actors have a decent short run for a few years before they fade away and end up in Sitcoms or Infomercials.  Not many have long prolonged careers like a Jack Nicholson or Denzel Washington.

So I guess this begs the question: Who is the Tom Cruise of GCA?

Joe Bausch

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2021, 11:15:42 PM »

WAIT WHAT?!?!?!?!

How have I never heard of this place?!?!   Have I been living under a rock?

Granted I'm not a PA guy but I did live in W PA for a while, and my in-laws are from Eastern PA.  And working in the steel industry most of my career, how have I not heard of this place???     I have played all the Saucon Valley courses knowing of their ties to Bethlehem Steel, but I did not know there was another club with Bethlehem Steel ties.   Anyone know how private is this place?  Will a well written letter, email, or call potentially get me on here?   Is there a lot of Ross left?   Regardless  probably "have" to play it since it has the word Steel in its name.

I would love to hear more about this without hijacking the original thread.

Those of you who have been around here since the beginning probably remember my original signature on here...

Daryl Boe
Steel Salesman, Thrill Seeker!
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2021, 11:26:57 PM »
Anyone know anything about Pete Dye's design at White Oak Plantation, said to be his last?

WW

I believe the official name is now "The Dye Course at White Oak"

I played it back in 2004 (I believe) when it was a 9 hole course called White Oak Plantation designed by Arnold Palmer I think.

It was a fun and unique 9 hole course, in an unusual setting, with a unique ownership situation as I recall.  I remember them talking about wanting to do a 18 hole course eventually and I just recently learned that they accomplished that goal with Pete Dye before his passing.   I am looking forward to hopefully seeing the new version and seeing what they accomplished.

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2021, 06:20:43 AM »
I believe The Links at Perry Cabin also advertises as Dye's last course.....

Keith Williams

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2021, 07:45:00 AM »

WW

I played it back in 2004 (I believe) when it was a 9 hole course called White Oak Plantation designed by Arnold Palmer I think.

It was a fun and unique 9 hole course, in an unusual setting, with a unique ownership situation as I recall.  I remember them talking about wanting to do a 18 hole course eventually and I just recently learned that they accomplished that goal with Pete Dye before his passing.   I am looking forward to hopefully seeing the new version and seeing what they accomplished.

The original 9 holer (think it was originally 10 holes) still exists.  The Dye Course is 18 new holes immediately west of it.

Keith.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2021, 09:09:18 AM »

WW

I'm all confused now. There was a White Oak development near Tryon, NC that had an Arnold Palmer course. 9 holes were built, but it never formally opened. The other 9 was cleared at least. The development failed, the course no longer exists. New developers shifted the focus. It became the steeplechase (?) course for an equestrian center.

Where is the White Oak Plantation Pete Dye course?     

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2021, 09:35:01 AM »

WW

I'm all confused now. There was a White Oak development near Tryon, NC that had an Arnold Palmer course. 9 holes were built, but it never formally opened. The other 9 was cleared at least. The development failed, the course no longer exists. New developers shifted the focus. It became the steeplechase (?) course for an equestrian center.

Where is the White Oak Plantation Pete Dye course?   

Bruce, you are correct about the NLE White Oak Plantation in Tryon, NC.  I had forgotten it was Palmer's group that did the 9 hole course, but I think you are right.  I remember that Padraig Harrington's name and face were plastered all over everything to do with that club (he was a pretty hot commodity at the time) and I was thinking he might have helped with the design, but the more I think about it I think you might be right.  I think Padraig was building a house, and must have been brought on as an investor or just a figurehead to help the club's image.  But sadly as you said, it no longer exists from what i have heard.  Living close by I have often thought about driving back in there again to see if the course is still distinguishable from the native landscape.

The Dye Course at White Oak is in remote Yulee, FL at the White Oak Conservatory.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2021, 12:06:17 PM »
I believe The Links at Perry Cabin also advertises as Dye's last course.....
I thought so too, but I think they've stopped doing so.

Bill Crane

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2021, 01:37:25 PM »
I think Bill really hits the nail on the head, this does happen a lot in other niches like Hollywood, (as well as the music industry) for example Heath Ledger and Chadwick Boseman.

I also suspect, (but don't really know), that GCA careers are probably a bit like Hollywood careers where most actors have a decent short run for a few years before they fade away and end up in Sitcoms or Infomercials.  Not many have long prolonged careers like a Jack Nicholson or Denzel Washington.

So I guess this begs the question: Who is the Tom Cruise of GCA?

Following this logic - it would be interesting to speculate on what an Architect's last good course was.

Before they  ..........................  Jumped the Shark !

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2021, 03:26:54 PM »

They do. I don't think they push it as much as they used to, but they still mention being Ross' last design in several places.

Of course, after their recent renovation, it doesn't look that much like a Ross course -- mainly because of the bunker design.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2021, 08:42:21 PM »
Tryon NC is now the location of a 5* equestrian retreat, if this is the same land it wouldn’t make much grounds for golf. I do remember P Harrington having an interest / ownership in Western NC real estate.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back