News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Painted cups thread 2.0
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2023, 11:06:14 AM »
Ok, so not painting the cup....painting above the cup.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2023, 02:07:03 PM »
Ok, so not painting the cup....painting above the cup.
Yes, the dirt, for increased visibility (particularly on TV, and to a club golfer, I think it makes many feel like a "big time" event more so than just dirt).

Also, occasionally I used to see a thin plastic ring or something that makes the inside of the lip white. I don't know if those are legal, and I haven't seen one of those in awhile.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2023, 09:09:52 PM »
Does it really increase visibility when playing? Green against white or green against brown? I’ll take brown personally.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tom Bacsanyi

Re: Painted cups thread 2.0 New
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2023, 11:58:10 PM »

Hello Kyle, glad you chimed in here, but riddle me this: What about the old painted cup? We like all those dry white paint flakes all around the old cup when you remove it to move to a new position? Do we need the setup guy to clean those up with a cordless handheld vacuum?

Seconds become minutes become hours become days. Days that can be better spent elsewhere, IMO. Ain't nobody got time for painted cups for daily play. Player can't see? Leave the flag in, gramps.

It's more and more commonplace that it is required for state and local level championships and tournaments. Make of that what you will.

While there are costs involved, a skilled setup person will only add MAYBE 10 minutes total to the setup time using some of the hole paint products. That's an hour per week, so really a full work day is spent over the course of two months. There are much larget elephants to shoot in maintenance budgets than that, and if that one becomes the largest I'd accuse your budget concerns with being austere for the sake of austerity.

On ultradwarf bermudas, I've enough anecdotal evidence to suggest the paint does help preserve the edge. Nothing will prevent hamhandedness on the part of a golfer, however.

I was vehemently opposed to painting a few years ago. The above analysis has moved me into the ambivalent camp. Do you. There's bigger things to worry about and it keeps the stakeholders happy.

If it's a gripe, your problem is with the stakeholders, not the superintendent.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 06:28:50 PM by Tom Bacsanyi »
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Jason Topp

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2023, 10:39:46 AM »
My approach to green committee work was to concede the things that do not matter and fight those that do.  Cup painting does not matter.  If it makes someone happy I will give them a win. 

Niall C

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2023, 11:18:35 AM »
My approach to green committee work was to concede the things that do not matter and fight those that do.  Cup painting does not matter.  If it makes someone happy I will give them a win.

That seems a sensible approach to me. Having watched the videos showing how it is done, it doesn't seem too much of a hassle or time-consuming.

Rob - I think it depends on how green your greens are. I've played on some links courses which in the height of summer are a kaleidoscope of browns and light greens such that it can sometimes be hard to pick out the hole sometimes.

Niall

V. Kmetz

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2023, 05:47:57 PM »

Whether in this internet kiosk or the golf culture that becomes flesh, I wish this plain sense extended to so many of the other things in the tangent, so-called "clutter" reaches...benches, ball-washers, tee-signs, tee markers, flags and flag indicators...  why can't local inertia and tradition be decisive?... Any cost/maintenance issues are fatuous...and don't mean a whit to the broader question of maintenance-design and sustainability, any modest efficiencies and savings of which are often blown on paying consultants to tell them how to be more efficient...or some other administrative program.

In a dusty forgotten attic loft of the super's shed, I recently saw the remarkable large tee signs that once appeared on the hidden gem where I still cameo -- now more than 20 years removed (in the first wave of clutterphobia) What a surprise they exist and what a shame they are no longer a feature of that course.  Besides the identifying purpose and the unifying hegemony of the club logo tableaux, these particular ones were works of 60-70s pop art...large cedar badges hanging off a 6ft cedar post, with the hole info and hole diagram in five color paint/wood carved relief.

No they aren't a necessity and yes, they have to be taken in/put out...and yes, they might need $1000 worth of refurbishment every five years or so...but for god sakes, they look like nothing else and would in some infinitesimal way, register with players as unique...and elevate the experience.

At this point, the counter-reaction to minimalism is overdue; no better place to start.  Paint the Cups... rainbow colors, with advertising slogans and random MP3 audio heckling, blurting out..."Noonan!"..."Well? We're waiting."  "NNNNnnnnnnnah.... nnnnnnnnah.. .nnnn"

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tom_Doak

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2023, 08:53:11 PM »

At this point, the counter-reaction to minimalism is overdue; no better place to start.  Paint the Cups... rainbow colors, with advertising slogans and random MP3 audio heckling, blurting out..."Noonan!"..."Well? We're waiting."  "NNNNnnnnnnnah.... nnnnnnnnah.. .nnnn"

Let me know how that works out for you.  :)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2023, 03:46:36 AM »

Advertising slogans for firms of opticians would likely be particularly appropriate!
Same for 150 etc yardage markers too!
 :)
atb

Ken Moum

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2023, 03:22:10 PM »

Advertising slogans for firms of opticians would likely be particularly appropriate!
Same for 150 etc yardage markers too!
 :)
atb

No idea is too dumb.

https://birdieproducts.com/products/birdie-sinkers
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back