News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Sweet

Re: Colorado River water restrictions coming in 2022
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2022, 12:26:19 AM »
FWIW....Scottsdale gets 11 inches of precipitation annually, and Deer Lodge, Montana...home of the Rock Creek Cattle Co. get 14 inches annually.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2022, 07:38:01 AM »
I feel like the catastrophic moment is close and millions are going to be left holding the biggest bag of crap in USA history. Call me a pessimist, but people have buried their heads in the sand for too long and it’s going from bad to worse

I too am sick and tired of Johns constant comments on how stupid we all are living in the southwest.  I would love to hear if John has any solutions other than we are all idiots unlike himself.  You are more than welcome to come to one of our local GCSAA chapter meetings and tell everyone how you feel.    I am currently a Superintendent at a golf course in Phoenix, I enjoy my life here, and so does everyone else that is flocking here like crazy.

John, I have mentioned it in past posts to try and quiet down all this alarmist talk, but do you have any idea of the percentage of potable water golf courses use in Arizona?  In 2019 U of A did a long research and concluded that golf in Arizona is a 4.2 Billion dollar business for the economy (tourism, hotels, restaurants, real estate values, etc.)  We have had many meetings in the past 5 years about reducing our output for water and reducing turf, but this is mainly for the old grandfathered courses that are wall to wall turf in central phoenix that still use potable.  Almost all new courses built since 1980 have been setup for reclaimed water and have less than 85 acres of turf.  The state of Arizona sits on top of many large Aquifers for well water.  The course I am currently at is doubling the size of the wastewater treatment plant to be able to handle the huge addition of new homes. I can't pump out enough dirty water to keep up with how much they produce.  It makes my job harder watering with reclaimed, but to be able to have a golf course community filled with happy residents that can enjoy golf everyday makes it worth it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 08:10:40 AM by Peter Ferlicca »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2022, 04:21:37 PM »

El Caballero Country Club in Tarzana, California, recently celebrated its official relaunch following a three-year, $10 million renovation to modernize and increase the environmental sustainability and playability of its championship golf course.
[/size]The club’s par-71 golf course, which includes a history of hosting USGA, LPGA and charity events, underwent a comprehensive upgrade over the last three years. The course has been lengthened to 7,019 yards, with all turfgrass being replaced with a drought- and disease-tolerant hybrid Bermudagrass blend. Along with native landscaping, the new course design will save more than 35 million gallons of water per year, using 30 percent less water than in the past. Originally designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr., the course was redesigned by his son, Rees Jones. Work also included strategic tree removal, improved designs on all putting greens, and better positioned bunkers and other elements.

https://www.golfcourseindustry.com/article/el-caballero-country-club-turf-water-renovation/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back