News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Cavalier

Re: 9/11 and Golf- Your Personal Stories
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2017, 01:33:00 PM »
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 03:37:40 PM by Jon Cavalier »
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2017, 02:45:42 PM »
My story is a little different.   That day was hellish down here about 100 miles SW of New York.    I was so sad and despondent over the attacks that I quit the club I was playing at.   I just didn't feel that golf was worth it.

Turned out to be a great move.  I got back my bond money a year later (guys that quit after me never recovered funds), and as I was driving past a new golf club, I fell in love with Hanse's design (still mostly dirt) at French Creek.   

Phil McDade

« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2018, 10:11:08 PM »
Mickey Kaus, a political writer/blogger in L.A., makes a point on 9/11 of posting this story about one person's decisions and actions that day, and I'm always glad he does:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/this_just_in/2002/09/an_unlikely_hero.html

He added this update: https://twitter.com/matt_mcfarling/status/1039526863897604096

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2018, 07:28:42 AM »
I was 18, and caddying for a 4 ball or American tourists round Nairn. We heard about the first plane around the 7th and the thought was that it must have been an accident.

But as we went on the greenkeepers informed the group of what else had happened.

I remember walking down 18 and barely a word was said amongst the group, as the reality set in.. will never forget it

Dan Boerger

« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2018, 10:11:32 AM »
I was driving up to Newark Airport from Philadelphia. I was scheduled to play TOC on 9/13. (Most in the group were from the UK, coming in on 9/12.) My wife called and suggested I turn around. Knew two who perished ... and numerous other friends who lost family members. Incredibly tragic.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2018, 11:10:35 AM »
We had our member member later that week. My club is under the landing pattern for Philly Intl so plane traffic is a daily thing. We all commented how unusually quiet the event was, both in banter between the guys and the lack of aircraft noise overhead.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2019, 03:26:24 PM »
Never forget.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Eric LeFante

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2019, 06:39:47 PM »

Scheduled to work a collegiate coed tournament near Lebanon, OR.  Woke up and turned on the TV. CNBC was on and in a few seconds there was a shuddering and "what was that'. Coaches meeting decided to play the final 18 of the 54 hole event. But as more and more players walked in individually the round was cancelled. One Texas team drove their rental van all the way home.

Never forget.

John McCarthy

« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2019, 09:04:22 PM »
not golf related

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:29:42 AM by John McCarthy »
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2019, 10:32:51 AM »
A day late...   I meant to post yesterday, but in hind sight it is fitting, I was very busy doing what I think everyone should do on 9/11 working my a*s off hoping to make the US economy (which is part of what those cowards were striking at 18 years ago) just a tiny bit better.  I hope I did so yesterday.

On 9/11/01 it was my one month anniversary of being married.  And being the hopeless romantic I was (and still am) I was on the road doing my normal business travels.   

I was driving to one of my customers in rural GA, which ironically enough is built on land that used to be part of the old Camp Toccoa where the US Army Airborne were born and trained to drop into Europe in WWII.   My parents called me from SD to tell me a plane had hit the World Trade Center, I thought it was a small plane and probably was some kind of accident.  But as we talked on the phone the second plane hit right as I was driving into my customers parking lot.  I hurried in the lobby and asked the receptionist if there was a TV anywhere and there was not, but when I explained what had happened they scrambled to find a TV used for presentations and tried to get it to pull in over the air.  I talked with my customer who I had the appointment with.  Her sister worked in World Trade Plaza and she was frantically trying to reach her on the phone, so I politely excused myself from our business meeting as that no longer mattered.  As I left I stopped at the memorial on the edge of the property as I often do to say a prayer and thank the thousands of brave soldiers who went through Camp Toccoa before dropping into the hell of WWII Europe, and I said a prayer not only for everyone affected that day, but also those who I knew were to come, because I knew at that moment our country was at war.

I was now early for a fairly important (at least 1 hr earlier it seemed important) meeting I had to meet a very high level person at one of my customers for the first time.  But being early I stopped at the first hotel I came across [size=78%](a small holiday inn in rural GA)[/size][/size][size=78%] [/size][/size][size=78%] and settled into a lobby chair to watch the coverage.  I remember sitting there bewildered with the owner of this hotel (an older gentleman of Middle-eastern Decent) who was quite somber, and when the towers collapsed he was moved to tears, and just kept saying "this is not good!!" over and over.  He then said he knew that  "unfortunately people who look like me and talk like me are obviously the perpetrators of this!"  And he knew that it was going to be difficult for him.   I thanked him for his hospitality and eventually left in order to get to my next appointment.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]When I got to the appointment the [/size]Plant Manager who was fairly new and I was meeting for the first time had run home that morning and brought his personal TV back to his office and sat it on his desk.  We talked very little work, and mostly talked about what was happening and watched.[size=78%]

[/size]I then went to see the regular guy I normally call on at this plant, and he said "what are you doing tonight, and where are you staying?"   I told him I did not know for sure.  That I was planning to head to AL for some appointments the next couple days but I did not know if any customer was going to want to see me or not at this point.   He said "well on a night like this no one should be alone, so you are staying at my house with my family, and if the world is coming to an end I figure we might as well be on the golf course when it happens.  So lets go!"   We left mid afternoon and went to a local course to golf on a beautiful GA day and commented about how odd it was to see no airplanes at all in the skies near Atlanta.   The round was uneventful but was the perfect stage to clear your mind a little bit from what was swirling around everyone in the US at that point.[size=78%]

[/size]I got to know his wife and kids that night, and what was a terrible day turned out to have a positive ending for me personally.  It helped turn a business relationship into a friendship that continues to this day.[size=78%]

[/size]I return to that golf course periodically for that customers charity golf tournament, and every time roll onto the property I remember that day.   I think of 9/11 every time I pull into that morning customer where I was when it happened.  I even stopped by the Holiday Inn one time when I realized I was driving past it to check in on the gentleman who owned it.  But I learned that he had sold the hotel a few years later.  I hope where ever he is, he is doing well.[size=78%]
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

John Emerson

« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2020, 09:02:03 PM »
Long time since anyone commented on this topic, but it is a moment I won't ever forget.  I was winding down my second internship at the golf course and I was mowing fairways at the time.  Superintendent comes racing down the fairway in his cart and I couldn't help but think of what I could've done to piss him off :)  Anyway, he starts waving his arms like a mad man and he is breathing hard as he approaches me.  He's yelling "we are being attacked, I cannot fuc*ing believe it!".  Luckily (i guess) we were very close to the shop and I came inside and saw the tv just before the second plane crashed into the tower.  I really couldn't believe or comprehend what was happening at the time.  The rest is history, but I wont ever forget where I was.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Jeff Schley

« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2021, 07:30:51 AM »
I recall reading this thread previously which started on the 10 year anniversary. Here we are at the 20th. All of us remember exactly where we were and what we were doing when we found out. A moment in time for us all that we certainly can't forget. Unfortunately, for the 3,000 souls we lost that day, that moment in time was their last. RIP to all.

Touching stories written by all, thank you. Squeeze your loved ones tight today.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2021, 10:57:03 AM »
That morning I had my secretary email the  congregation that there would be prayer service that evening and then called the local paper that we would hold a service of remembrance on 9/13. I contacted other local pastors, the rabbi, and imam and together we offered prayers. We never locked the doors to the sanctuary and for the next few days folks would wander in, sit and pray or just sit in silence.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Martin

« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2021, 12:07:28 PM »
It was a scary time in and around Metro NYC. On November 12th, 2001 I was playing in a group at our town owned course and we got word that an American Airlines flight from JFK to the Dominican Republic had crashed in the Belle Harbor section of Queens killing everyone on board. The day was crystal clear not unlike 9/11 and there was initial speculation that the city was under attack again. It was sort of like the ending of a great movie where the last scene is so powerful that no one says anything on the way out of the theater. There was the same reaction to getting that news.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2021, 03:22:51 PM »
I’ll never forget where I was and who I was with when we watched the 2nd plane hit the Towers. All I can say is, God bless America and the people we lost that day. Also all the men and women who died in the subsequent fighting. I think we take for granted all the people who protect us everyday. Thanks to all!
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

jeffwarne

Re: 9/11 and Golf- Your Personal Stories New
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2021, 11:46:39 AM »
Saturday September 9th 2001 was the final day of The Fescue, Atlantic's 2 Day Member-Guest where I was finishing up my final season, having signed September 1 to be the Head Professional at the soon to be opened Bridge.

Michael Berkeley, a member at Atlantic,and a 37 year old African American,who grew up caddying at caddie at Winged Foot, had brought Clyde Drexler as his guest.
After the event, Michael(who was slated to be one of the first members of The Bridge), Clyde, myself and one other went over to play an emergency 9 at The Bridge, which had not opened yet.

We finished in the dark, and I still remember the ultra competitive Michael hitting an 8 iron off the par 5 18th tee, to keep the ball in play,and findable in the dark, taking a monster long divot that only an athlete with an ultra strong grip can produce on super tight, fresh new bent turf.
Michael and I won that hole, but sadly that would be his last golf win here on Earth, passing away two days later on 9/11 l after calling his wife to assure her he was his way out of the towers....

Our annual East End Caddie Championship, put together by Atlantic's Rick Hartmann, is called the Berkeley Cup in his memory.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 07:31:48 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back